Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

HPI sprint 2 drift help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Clv0768

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI sprint 2 drift help

Hey guys,
First off id like to say not only am I new to the site, im a noob Haha. Okay now to the issue at hand, I just got my brand new factory sealed HPI sprint 2 drift yesterday, being as happy as I was I went home took it out and put it on the charger so I could use it this morning. I looked in the manual and it said to charge for 6 hours. So I did. Well I took it off the charger last night after the 6 hours and went to bed, get up this morning plug that baby in and go out and start goofing around with it and oh man did I have a blast! After around 15 minutes though I started having problems.. as I press the throttle down to go it doesn't really go. The wheels will spin about a quarter or half turn then stop, reverse at this time was fine but after about 3 mins reverse was doing the same. Well at that point I took off the body thinking maybe it was the antenna well it still didn't work right. (Just a side point the wheels turn and have no issues with handling.) After I took it off and started looking the box with the on/off switch, that LED that shows when its getting signal to do something from the controller by flashing red, well it would go red then back to green even off I was still holding the throttle down. My question to all off you is am I really just stupid and that the battery will only last me about 15 minutes each charge, or is there something wrong. If there is please help me fix it. And if there is any more details u may need just ask. It is totally 100% stock and is the 350z body if that matters

Old 12-28-2011, 02:31 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI sprint 2 drift help

What type of battery are you using?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Clv0768

The one it came with, so a 7.2v 6 cell
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
t9dragon

Most likely the battery is dead and needs to be charged again.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Clv0768

So then should I really expect to have to charge the battery for 6 hours and then only get about 15 minutes of charge? That just doesn't seem right. Well then what type of battery should I get to give me more charge? And a charger that won't take me 6 hours.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM
t9dragon

It all depends on how much you want to spend on the charger and batteries.. Lipo batteries will give you longer run times but take about 1-2 hours to charge.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Clv0768

Would they come with a charger or would I need to buy them separate?

Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
SillyWillie-Buh!
My Feedback: (2)

Separate. check out www.hobbypartz.com for great batteries and chargers that won't put a dent in your wallet.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:21 PM
kstmRYD

run time will be determined by battery capacity...I think your sprint came with a 2000mAh battery. The more mAh the more stored juiced it has...so the longer the run time will be. A 5000mAh battery should give you around 30 minutes of hard run time. Batteries also have a C rating...batteries are designed to discharge at a certain rate without damage to the battery. Motors and ESC that consume a lot of power will quickly drain your battery at a fast rate...heating the internals of the battery which shorten battery life.

A higher C rated battery can handle fast discharge rates. A 20C 5000mAh battery is a good choice...now you need a charger. The wall charger that came with your kit is probably about .5amps to 1.5amps but don't expect it to charge at those rates constantly...that's why it takes 6 hours. Get yourself a good charger... a 20C 5000mAh battery can be charged at 3.5 to 4amps and will charge in around 30 minutes. Just make sure the charger is set to charge LIPO.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM
mspurrell53

its on lipo mode comes like the out of the box read your manual tell you how to change the battery mode hope this helps
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Explodingevo

the battery that comes with the Sprint2drift is TERRIBLE! I Would recommend going on ebay and go to gonitro hobbies and they have a venom lipo 5000mah 20c battery for $39.95 + like $6 shipping. I bought 2 of these and they last like 40 minutes each. I also got a charger from hobby town for like $40 and it charges the batteries in about an hour or so. I kind of want a better charger though.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
driftin007

You also have to change your factory speed settings on the car depending on the battery u are using. Factory out the box sprint 2 drift is set to lipo not NiMh. Read the manual it will show you how.