Community
Search
Notices
Futaba Radios Direct support forum Ask any questions you may have about Futaba radios and product here and get answers direct from Futaba

14MZ G3 receiver not binding or working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14MZ G3 receiver not binding or working.

When I bought my 14MZ a couple of years agoI followed the manual and set the ID code for the R5014 receiverthatcame with it andthen placed it onchannel 52. I flew the receiver in a couple of aircraft and itperformed flawlessly. I have not used it for about ayear and now want to install it in another aircraft.

I created a new model in the radio and set it to PCM G3 modulation. However the receiver will not work at all. I have tried to get it to do so by following the procedures in the manual to the letter. Ihave tried to do this wirelessly and with the DSC cable but no luck.

I noticed in the screen where you select the modulation type that below PCM G3 there is a box with G3 mode and inside of it is says: "Mode-B (4k)" I don't remember seeing that optionwhen I first used the receiver. (In 2007 Idid send in the radio to be checked and Iam sure the software was updated.) I did not select that option but selected PCM-G3.

With the receiver powered up with a good battery it appears completely dead. Any servos pluggedin can be turned and theyobviously have no power tothem.

When using the DSC cable I noticed that the manual does not say exaclty which plug on the receiver it should go into . I have tried using DG1 and DG2 with no luck.

I do remember back when I first set up this receiver that I had trouble doing this wirelessly and used the DSC cable.

I hope this information is helpful in resolving this problem.With luck it will be one simple thing that I have missed.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

JohnB.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 14MZ G3 receiver not binding or working.

Set the mode to "A".  The R5014DPS won't work with Mode "B", only the R5114DPS.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
vivwiniata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there John - did you solve this problem with your r5014 receiver? I am experiencing the same problem at the moment. I have tried the solution suggested above, but it made no difference. It is the same for all 4 of my r5014 receivers, so I am suspecting a setting issue or problem with my 14MZ. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
vivwiniata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again Guys, I believe I have solved this problem, after wasting a whole afternoon yesterday unable to get any response out of my R5014 G3 receivers. I have been using my R149DP (PCM 1024) receivers without any problems but had not used any of my four R5014 receivers for probably at least 12 months. Two of them are brand new, so I was completely baffled yesterday when I could not get any of them to register or show any sign of life at all when trying to bind them to my 14MZ. I had even uninstalled the firmware updates in my 14MZ back to the original factory version (which made no difference), then reinstalled to the latest update, still no difference.

I had more or less given up on the receivers last night (and was becoming resigned to selling them off to get receivers that actually work) when I tried Googling for a solution one more time as I sat in bed contemplating the large amount of cash the receivers had cost me, when I found this page :-

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=36878

I immediately went and turned off my wireless ADSL router and cordless phone base unit. I then went to my receivers and 14MZ where I had one receiver already set up with a charged battery (with battery on/off switch) to the B/C input on the receiver, and a servo to output "1" on the receiver. The first thing I noticed (which had not occurred all day) was the tiny red LED (in the little hole to the right of "WFSS>" at the end where the receiver inputs are) had come when I turned the battery on. It probably helped that it was late at night with only dim lighting on that I saw that, as the LED is really tiny.

I then went through the process of changing from PCM1024 to G3, and there was some erratic behaviour with the LED, sometimes it would flash, and sometimes it would stay on continuously. I did however manage to get the servo to work on 40.610mhz , so I had finally made a connection and was obviously making some progress in the right direction. However, when I tried to change frequencies I still could not get the receiver to work when I then tried to change to a new frequency. I could not even get it to go back to working on 40.610.

THEN I tried the method suggested on the page above, namely having the receiver turned off, and only turning it on AFTER THE FIRST "beep" into the "change frequencies" process/box (when you are asked to turn power to your receiver ON), and HEY PRESTO - successful frequency changes with the servo working every time !

When you use this method, the LED on the receiver makes one very short flash, and the servo arm will make one very quick/short movement (if you are not looking, you will miss them, they are so brief). This is obviously what they are referring to in the 14MZ printed manual at page 27, top left corner (paragraph 6 continued from page 26) where they say :-

"When the frequency setting for the receiver is completed, the LED monitor of the receiver blinks once and the 1CH servo shuttles three times across the neutral position". They also say in the next paragraph that the Tx and Rx must be as close as possible together for this to work as a very low power signal is used to change the frequency. In a later paragraph they say to use the DSC cable to change the frequencies if the above method does not work "due to environmental reasons" (although they do not say what "environmental conditions" can be problematic) - however, I could not get the DSC cable method to work at all.

The other thing that is confusing, is that when you have successfully loaded a new frequency to your receiver, there is no message on the 14MZ screen telling you that. Also, the message "turn on power to your receiver" stays there for all the beeps, even after you HAVE turned it on, so the 14MZ does not acknowledge any connection in what is displayed on its screen. The process simply ends with a box offering the options "RETRY" and "END", which rather suggested to me that the new frequency had NOT been successfully loaded to the receiver (because the RETRY option appears at the end). The only way to tell that the receiver is working is by trying to operate the servo(s), and if they do, you simply select END rather than RETRY.

Hope somebody finds this of use !

Cheers.