Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is Gas Engines a Fad?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is Gas Engines a Fad?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM
DenverJayhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Gas Engines a Fad?

Electric is a very popular choice for the 3D crowd in the 70-78" wing span and 10-11 lbs class. Most of the 3D models from 3dhobbyshop, ExtremeFlight, and Precision Aerobatics under 78" are electric. They do make gas options too, but you don't see as much of them. In this size, EP is the ideal blend of light weight and instant power. Only draw back is the 6 minute flight times.

ORIGINAL: Oberst

ORIGINAL: cutaway

I've seen plenty of electrics dead stick at our field.

Cooked motors, fried ESC's, fly too long and the ESC shutsdown the high draw motor, etc.

I have as well including a few Lipo fires. I'm a glow and gas person only, but electrics are perfect for park flying and aircraft that are .25 and lower. To me electric planes seem on the toyish side, and when I flew them the first year I joined the hobby, they don't handle or fly very scale like. Maybe that's because the aircraft are made on the light side because of the electric motor?

My new club is gas/glow only because we have a special field for electrics. That's to prevent the cheap foamies getting in the way of some of the $1,000-$4,000 aircraft and to prevent mid-airs with them. What's nice about the park flyers is you don't need a club to fly- just a nice open park or field. I guess there is a place for everything in this hobby.

I started on a cheap electric trainer and didn't start glow until I knew how to fly safely on the electric. When I crashed my cheap plane it didn't break the bank to fix it. By the time I had bought my first glow trainer there was no looking back for me. The smell, sound and mess got me hooked.

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
dash3riprock
My Feedback: (10)

i have a thunder tiger 2000 trainer with an os .46, a raptor f22 with a small glow trainer, a p51 40 size with a .60nx evo. the fuel is almost $30 a gallon. for which most seems to exit the muffler. My next project is going to be a top flight p51 giant rtc and the os 55 gas looks real good once you get over the sticker shock. but will it have the power? and wont it pay for itself in fuel cost?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: dash3riprock

i have a thunder tiger 2000 trainer with an os .46, a raptor f22 with a small glow trainer, a p51 40 size with a .60nx evo. the fuel is almost $30 a gallon. for which most seems to exit the muffler. My next project is going to be a top flight p51 giant rtc and the os 55 gas looks real good once you get over the sticker shock. but will it have the power? and wont it pay for itself in fuel cost?
Take a look at DLE gas engines. cheaper that OS and very reliable. What is the wing span and flight wieght of the P51, a DLE 50cc would probably work. Also check out the classifed section here. Good deals can be found!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
ES CONTROL

DLE Still needs Ignition, And Ignitions Fail!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 AM
VKGT

Gassers are easier though. I don't see how anyone can even debate that. Only thing required to take to the field with you is a can of gas. Fill them up and flip the prop.

Couldn't agree more. Nitro tuning, toting the field equipment and the mess it leaves behind has always been a burden for me. I'm completely brushless and Gasser now as far as airplanes and boats go. I can get close to 35 minutes of flight time on my 44% CARF Giles 202 with a 1500cc fuel tank, no kidding! No mess to clean up, just take the gas tank!

I have some on-board videos on www.youtube.com/vkgt with the Giles. One flight was over 18 mins and I only was down a 1/2 tank. FWIW, I put a large gas tank in on purpose! I never have to change the needles, it's as reliable as ever

Also, I've been finding more smaller gasoline engines coming out. Lately, I found a 9cc gasoline engine online which I think is awesome. Sorry, I hate Nitro, love my gassers :P http://www.himodel.com/engines/NGH_9...plane_GT9.html

I have two Nitro helicopters, a Fury 55 and a Fury 60. They are great but they fly a heck of a lot less often than my electric helicopters because of the nitro mess. Brushless provides instant power and it runs the same, every time.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

I'd like to know what power source out there doesn't have the potential for something to fail. Maybe it's just me, but that logic is illogical.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
JeffinTD

A properly set up gas ignition is reliable. A glow can flame out, but properly set up
can also be reliable. Same thing with electric- over tax something and it will fail.

Still, if I had to play "you bet your finger" on one of my planes making a 10 minute flight w/o power loss, I'd grab one of my electrics.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Dave ESPI

I hate Glow. Had several bad experiences wirth planes, cars and frustrating failures with helis. Went Gasoline and never looked back.

Fill it,
Prime it,
Choke it,
Pull it,
Run it.

Period.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

Also spark plugs, glow plugs, batteries, switches, servos, ESCs, fuel tanks, lines, pumps, diaphragms and anything else created by man. Over the years I have have had most everything fail at some point. I just lost my nice new plane due to an ignition problem. Wouldn't have been a problem if I wasn't in a hurry to fly the plane and checked it out better. The problem was a small split in the spark plug cap/cover and it was arcing a spark from the cap to the ground strap. I knew something was wrong but made the wrong decision to fly with a crappy running engine anyway. I discovered the problem at home on my bench when I was going through the engine. Ignitions aren't really any problem or more of a problem then anything else. They don't fail very often. In my case I should have inspected the engine better before flying. The engine was in a plane that had a nose over on landing and the spark plug hit the ground causing the tear in the cap. Again, my bad.
In this thread I have seen the statement that gassers were harder to operate then a glow engine. I would like anyone that stated this to please tell us what the difference is? The carb has two needles, a high and low just like any good glow engine. Are these needles too hard to figure out?? You twist them, when you do the engine either runs better or worse. If worse you twist them the other way. The ignition? It has a battery and switch, a spark plug wire and sometimes a ground strap. Is this a brain teaser for people. An electric motor and ESC is more complicated. Glow engines go dead stick if the operator doesn't understand those two needles. They aren't a great mystery, you just twist them until you get it right.
Gas for giant scale planes? I have now got to see some huge planes flown with electric both from land and off the water. I like all three power sources myself. Gas and glow presents me no problems but I haven't gotten into electric enough to figure them out. That's why at the bottom of the header is a web site called wattflyer. I get all my electric help over there. Pick the power source you like and be happy. I have gone to the field with planes powered by all three and had fun flying all of them.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 PM
ES CONTROL

I am I love with gas power!!!  
 1 low pass and your hooked for life!  
Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: dash3riprock

I have an OS LA .46 that runs fine on cheap 80/20 zero-nitro FAI fuel I mix myself. Most people are using far more nitro than the engines actually require. I'm just saying...

With the zero-nitro, I see about 30% better fuel economy than a 7% or 15% nitro mix.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johng

It's nitro power that's on the way out. For me, from now on, small planes are electric, bigger planes are gas ..................
I have to disagree on nitro being on the way out. IMO, and while I may not personally like it, electric will become the No#1 choice in due course for the HOBBYIST - I say that as if you include all them $30 bits of rubbish sold in every stall at every mall and online, it already is - but then overall, 99.9% of that stuff has no relevance to the folk within here.

The reason I disagree with that statement, and still do not prefer electric over gas and/or glow, is that it is IMO electric is just too sterile. So I, and a lot of other folk out there, prefer motors that need tinkering and maintenance. Motors that have to run on fuel as we also like the noise, smell and everything else that goes with it - just as it does on REAL aircraft (never heard of a electric powered P51 or ME109 in WW2 thats for sure - just lots of cylinders, smoke, noise and passion that is enjoyed even some 66 years later).

I love nitro for its simplicity and how it meets the above criteria, but for me moving forward and the simple fact I'd like to run motors in a size range where initial setup and fuel costs prohibit it, I'll be sticking with gas to tick all boxes listed above - as to me, there is nothing like hearing your pride and joy tick over and fire first thing on a nice and sunny weekend morning - "click, whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ........." just don't cut it, converting anything I own to electric would be like sticking a Toyota Prius motor (or two) into something like a classic Ford mustang. Sure it'd run quiet and cheaper after the initial expensive conversion, but it would be a lifeless bucket of bolts that you would have in the end, with none of the "passion" you'd feel from it if you had just left things alone!.

For me, ICE's just offer me more where electric does not. That statement is not right or wrong, and no-ones else's view on the best option for them is right or wrong either. They are just our OPINIONS!. The simple point is that none of the three main power sources will go anywhere, their popularity levels as a percentage of use will fluctuate over the years ahead, but who really cares, just use what you want and go flying. It's what we do at my club, and I love the place for it - no-one cares what you fly as long as you have fun flying.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:37 PM
thepamster

I got into gas a little over 20 years ago and i do not think it is a fad. I switched from glow for larger planes with gas because lugging around a big flight box, handcrafted wood one with four legs that must have weighed 50 pounds, was just too much crap to load into the car. Airplane, radio, and gas can is all I take now to the field. Much easier.
As far as electric goes I was raised around muscle cars, dirt bikes, and motors that make noise. There is just something not right about flipping a switch and the motor is running. And sound systems for electrics to generate noise??? Talk about faking a orgasm!!!  That is no fun for me. Each to their own of course, just have fun.

The Pamster
Old 12-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Insanemoondoggie

I worked as a crewcheif in full scale for 25yrs. We had an old DC3 that took off every morning , flying cargo up north. She would set on the ready line farting and snorting waiting for clearance to take off with oil streaking down her wings. But when shespooled up for take off, the sound was pure heaven, No way I would ever fly electric. Tried it a few times, but made me feel like a wuss.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:00 PM
CGRetired

I love it, Moondoggie...
Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
CellTech

Electric is for the girls, toys they are. Gasoline friggin stinks. The engines sound like my Toro lawn mower. Gasoline is dangerous with an unstable flash point. Power to weight sucks and vibration to the extreme. I will stick to my alcohol burning glow four bangers. Set and forget.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I use gas and glo. I have flown electric and appreciate the guys who fly them if that is what they like. I enjoy watching them for about ten minutes and then get bored out of my mind, as simple as my mind is... I would probably get out of the hobby if all I had was electric but, I enjoy building so I might continue to build. I have had great luck with both the glow and gas. Yes the glow requires a little more clean up than the others but that is not a big issue if you have it tuned correctly or the exhaust positioned properly. I am for the most part gravitating away from glo to gas but that is only because I keep building larger planes and fly the smaller ones much less. As for the folks that complain about constantly adjusting their glo engines, I only adjust mine once a year and sometimes on the rare occasion twice if I fly at opposite temp extremes. People keep telling me about the power of electric and while it does have power for a very few minutes, I have yet to see one that convinces me they are superior to glo or gas. In fact some of the videos I've watched, the owner actually had to put in a sound board of some type to give the plane an engine type sound. In fact while I do see some at the clubs in my region, they are still very much in the minority except for smaller foam planes, and some electric powered gliders. In this region it seems electric use is becoming somewhat static in growth compaired to a couple of years ago. Unfortunately glo use seems static in that the growth is not there and it actually may be shrinking slightly currently to gas. Gas however, whether good or bad, seems to be the type of power that has the most growth in the region where I live.

My views are a personal choice and I certainly don't want to impede in any way the growth of the model airplane hobby. And would like to see it grow across the board, so to those of you that want to use electric,,, more wattage to you.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Robbie, for those poor people that have never flown in a DC-3 I feel for them. I used to fly on Ozark Airlines in the 60s, that's what they had and it was a true treat.
Gas, glow or electric. I know several people that only listen to one type of music too. These are not the brightest people I know but they are happy in there bliss.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:56 PM
levram1

here the hell is Symsonia, Ky.?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
ES CONTROL

So , Key word , "Balance"  To each plane/ person,  there is the right engine / airframe?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Levram1,

Symsonia is in far Western KY.
The Company I work for has a store in Corbin. I'm assigned to Bowling Green KY, Paducah KY, (Just north of Symsonia), and Evansville Indiana region. I have a friend that is assigned to Corbin and Lexington store regions.
With Southern IN, KY, WV, and parts of OH. we are the largest Cat distributor in the U.S. However, I have nothing to do with the Cat stuff as I'm involved in our bus division, promoting our buses and video surveillance.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:39 PM
go vertical

I have been in this hobbie for 36 years started with glow then went 4s glow then went to giant scale with gas so naturely i am into large electric now i see none of them as a fad they all have there pros & cons but they all fly model planes and thats what counts
Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
DenverJayhawk

hearing all this fuel talk is giving me gas envy. I moved from glow to electric for my 3D planes. For where i'm at in life, it's the best fit for me to get in quick, bang out some flights without worrying about dead sticks and fuel clean up and then head home. But a gasser on a 50cc Slick sounds really cool for those "make a day" of flying on the weekend instead of only an hour or two here and there.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:58 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

hearing all this fuel talk is giving me gas envy. I moved from glow to electric for my 3D planes. For where i'm at in life, it's the best fit for me to get in quick, bang out some flights without worrying about dead sticks and fuel clean up and then head home. But a gasser on a 50cc Slick sounds really cool for those ''make a day'' of flying on the weekend instead of only an hour or two here and there.

This is a trainer (kind of), and makes a sweet sound...

Gerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNxy...eature=related
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

It seems to me everyone has more $$$ today.
Around here gas was real popular and after 2001 when the econonmy went south it practically dissappeared. Now many of them are on unemployment and I don't see most of them. Some are flying park flyer electrics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.