Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Radio what to choose??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Radio what to choose??

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:03 PM
allelectric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Radio what to choose??

Hello Jeff Here,
I have recently purchased a FUTABA 8FG SUPER. Because of Winter I have only got 8 or 10 flights in. BUT i LOVE IT. I have been using Futaba for many years. And the only failure problem has been the reclusive PILOT ERROR or PILOT SET UP ERROR. I have seen VERY few failures
the most recent was a Futaba 10G (not C) 2.4 GHZ and before he figured out it was the radio he lost 2 planes. BUT LATER HE FOUND OUT HIS SON HAD KNOCKED IT OF THE SHELF..(about 6' ouch).......... SOOOOO pilot put away secure ERROR.
I beleive that Futaba is the best on the market....(I am sure other people have there on ideas and stories)
AND ALSO ALL THE RADIOS THAT THE MILITARY USE.....Guess What there FUTABA

NOTE: the only complaint that I would have about my 8fg is progamming is kind of a pain. BUT my last radio was a Futaba 6EX 2.4 not to much to program. So I think again its more me. The more I use the programming the easier it gets.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:33 AM
RUFTER

ORIGINAL: allelectric

AND ALSO ALL THE RADIOS THAT THE MILITARY USE.....Guess What there FUTABA
Your point beeing? NASA uses JR/Spektrum, they love satellite recievers.

Regards, Bart.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 AM
airborne2.4

Futaba 8FG review: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1184
Old 12-30-2011, 03:26 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Futaba 8FG review: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1184
Couple of things I did not see mentioned in the above article, Futaba now have a firmware upgrade to make the 8FG 14 channels, 12 proportional and two switched, the SD card is the same formatting as the 12FG, 14MZ and the new 18 channel this allows any set up aircraft programming to be interchanged from one Tx to another very handy on the field is someone wants to be buddied on their new acquisition, also the 7 channel radio link between Tx's can be used as a buddy link, no need for the cord that everyone trips over and no incomparability problems between plug ends.

Just for interest, the 2GB SD card on my 12FG gives me over 1900 model memories, that is not a miss print.

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 05:15 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi,
I remember I saw one strange thing about JR x9303 on Youtube and I had to search for it again. I have not a clue why the situation described in the video happened to the guy but I'm sure it must have been some special situation. I see You are interested in x9503 so it is not exact same radio. Anyway here it is, judge by yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMBFfTo29Q

/Bo

I'll bet that the receiver was bound to both transmitters.

Even if it was why did the first transmitter loose control ?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

ORIGINAL: bem

Hi,
I remember I saw one strange thing about JR x9303 on Youtube and I had to search for it again. I have not a clue why the situation described in the video happened to the guy but I'm sure it must have been some special situation. I see You are interested in x9503 so it is not exact same radio. Anyway here it is, judge by yourself http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMBFfTo29Q

/Bo

I'll bet that the receiver was bound to both transmitters.

Even if it was why did the first transmitter loose control ?
I personally saw this happen at my field. Two different 2.4G TX controlling one plane on the ground. This was not there first flight with each planes but one guy was visiting the field that day. The problem was trace to the manufacturer. (Spektrum)
the manufacturer
Old 12-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Futaba 12FG.... just a great controller
The sticks feel very smooth... and that's because it has quad-bearing gimbals like there higher end radios.

I have flown my friends 8 fg super.. I'm traning him and setting up his plane. It's a great controller but the overall feel and movement of the sticks is no where near as nice as my 12FG

With that said it does the job fine and is a great bargain
Old 12-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Square Nozzle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with what feels best to you. It's the old Ford vs. Chevy thing. I have used Citizenship, Kraft, MRC, Futaba and JR. The first three have long since been retired. Still have a couple of Futaba's that I use in boat racing because they have the features I liked vs. any others, but in my planes I use JR. I didn't like the way plastic parts in the Futaba transmitters kept breaking at the mount screw holes.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Jprice57
My Feedback: (-2)

ORIGINAL: Square Nozzle

Go with what feels best to you. It's the old Ford vs. Chevy thing. I have used Citizenship, Kraft, MRC, Futaba and JR. The first three have long since been retired. Still have a couple of Futaba's that I use in boat racing because they have the features I liked vs. any others, but in my planes I use JR. I didn't like the way plastic parts in the Futaba transmitters kept breaking at the mount screw holes.
I have chosen... See post 14.. I really like it so far..

Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
BaldEagel

Now if that is not designed to prompt a negative response I don't know what is, never had any parts break on my Futaba Tx's.

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM
btflycrazy

what about spectrum radios lol
Old 12-30-2011, 10:34 AM
BaldEagel

I didn't like the way plastic parts in the Futaba transmitters kept breaking at the mount screw holes.
Try using a smaller screwdriver.

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM
planedriver_2

How Much for your Aurora 9 ?????????
Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Jprice57
My Feedback: (-2)

ORIGINAL: planedriver_2

How Much for your Aurora 9 ?????????
$200 with 9ch rx. It would be with no guarantee. Has worked perfectly until then though..

Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Square Nozzle

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I didn't like the way plastic parts in the Futaba transmitters kept breaking at the mount screw holes.
Try using a smaller screwdriver.

Mike
I didn't need a screw driver at all. Maybe it doesn't like bad language.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Square Nozzle

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Now if that is not designed to prompt a negative response I don't know what is, never had any parts break on my Futaba Tx's.

Mike
Not intended to generate negative responses. My experience and my decision. Treat it as you may. The radio was a 3 channel that I used for boat racing back in the 70's and 80's. Maybe before you were born. The plastic they used was brittle. I had to replace an entire stick module because it literaly fell apart. It's likely that Futaba has changed the formula for their plastic parts.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
BaldEagel

The radio was a 3 channel that I used for boat racing back in the 70's and 80's. Maybe before you were born.
Now that made me laugh, you have no idea.

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 04:47 PM
allelectric

Love My 8FG super. Also the SBus feature is SWWWeet. Program a servo to do one function and NO Matter where it is plug in THATS the only function it will do. I have 1 lead controlling the flaps, landing gear and Alerions on my P-51. 6 servos on one lead a Lot less wiring and very, very easy to hook up at the field.

May All Your Landings Be Smooooooooth!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:55 PM
allelectric

Hello Jeff Here,
Don't know if the tension on your 12 ch feels different than the 8FG. or if thats what you like better about your 12. But if thats the case and I am sure you have seen that in the instuctions (8FG). You can change the tension on the 8FG gimbals. I have never had the privledge of flying with a Radio such as yours. Just a note, sounds like your boy has a Great Dad! Its a excellent hobbie as we all know

May All Your Landings Be Smooooooth JE
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
allelectric

Hello Jeff Here,
All that I know for sure is that my Grandson is in the Airforce and thats what they are using in there Robots and Drones at this time.

May All Your Landings Be Smooooth..................JE
Old 12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
allelectric

Sorry YOUR FRIEND I miss read your post. Friends kids, old people it still a great hobbie LOL......JE
Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Jeff Here,
Don't know if the tension on your 12 ch feels different than the 8FG. or if thats what you like better about your 12. But if thats the case and I am sure you have seen that in the instuctions (8FG). You can change the tension on the 8FG gimbals. I have never had the privledge of flying with a Radio such as yours. Just a note, sounds like your boy has a Great Dad! Its a excellent hobbie as we all know

May All Your Landings Be Smooooooth JE

Yes it's my friend..but I'm also training my son. But I make him use and old beat up futaba attack controller from 1989...lol

Don't get me wrong the 8 fg is a really nice radio and can do a ton for the money... but the 10, 12fg, 14, and up just feel better and better as you go
It's the overall feel and weight in your hands, the high quality bearing and use of four bearings instead of two that make the gimbels super smooth

If I was a rich guy I'd go for the very top.... it really helps my flying having a better radio
Old 12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: marc s

Futaba 8FG seems a real steal radio at the moment, especially with the free software upgrade to 11 chanels.

marcs
NO bind and fly with FUTABA
Old 12-30-2011, 09:47 PM
rcflyer-rick

I like my Airtronics rds 8000 got my son the sd6 both very solid. Neither has had a single glitch or problem.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: hobby_man

ORIGINAL: marc s

Futaba 8FG seems a real steal radio at the moment, especially with the free software upgrade to 11 chanels.

marcs
NO bind and fly with FUTABA
And no free 14 channel upgrade with a Spektrum or JR 8 channel radio.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.