Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie wants in

Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM
SNOWMAN7765

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie wants in

I am really stoked on this RC thing , my kids both have Traxxas trucks and I am ready to go. My questions is what truck should I buy to get started and eventually race? Is there a specific model I can upgrade easily or should I just bite the bullet and go big from the start ?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:07 PM
hindupimp2384

Default RE: Newbie wants in

SC10 4x4, Traxxas Stampede 4x4, Rustler, or a Slash 4x4.  you can get the 2wd cheaper bt to me 4x4 is more fun to drive in diff terrain.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to RCU SNOWMAN7765 !
What r/c's do your kids have ?
For bashing and later racin id say 10th short course truck.
They seem to be takin over now.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 PM
SNOWMAN7765

They both have the Traxxas Nitro Stampede and they never run. Super loud ( drives the wife nuts) smell bad and I have become an expert on them due to the fact that my son will not read the manual to trouble shoot. So I am all about electric and just dont want to spend $200.00 on a beginer truck then have to upgrade like crazy and end up with a $700.00 truck and could have just bought the more expensive one in the first place. Sorry for the massive run on sentences. So SC ? is the way or is there a specific Traxxas Slash I should go for like the Platinum ?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM
4goodbuys2

I have a HPI Blitz 2wd short course truck and its really durable and able to race out of the box.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 PM
thehuntingterminator

if you are at all planning on racing i would stay away from the Slashes. 2wd or 4wd, both have high center of gravities, making them terrible racers. i would go with either the Losi Ten SCTE or the AE SC10 4x4. however, the Losi is a roller but still need electronics so you will have to put in some dough to get it running even after purchasing it. if you could live with a 2wd that is still very capable of being very competitive and winning straight out of the box, have a look at the AE SC10 RS. its a 2wd SCT that comes out the box upgraded for racing. however, regardless of what you choose, you will need a minimum of a battery and charger, possibly more, depending on what your vehicle of choice comes with. here is a good but affordable lipo battery pack that will provide around 30-45 minutes of runtime in most vehicles and here is a nice charger that has worked fine for me. feel free to ask any questions you may have.
ORIGINAL: SNOWMAN7765

They both have the Traxxas Nitro Stampede and they never run. Super loud ( drives the wife nuts) smell bad and I have become an expert on them due to the fact that my son will not read the manual to trouble shoot. So I am all about electric and just dont want to spend $200.00 on a beginer truck then have to upgrade like crazy and end up with a $700.00 truck and could have just bought the more expensive one in the first place. Sorry for the massive run on sentences. So SC ? is the way or is there a specific Traxxas Slash I should go for like the Platinum ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
SNOWMAN7765

Sweet thanks man I have been getting some mixed seggestions but the AE SC10 keeps coming up. Will it be a huge disadvantage to go with a 2wd ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM
thehuntingterminator

unless your into mudding it or something that would require all 4 wheels to be pulling, then 2wd will do you just fine, and make you a better driver too. i have both a Rustler VXL and Bandit XL-5 (both 2wd) and neither have had problems dealing with getting stuck. 2wd will be fine, especially if racing. this version of the SC10 comes ready to race and with a decent lipo and charger. if your new and don't know a whole lot (no offense, everyone starts somewhere) this might be a little better and easier for you.

Sweet thanks man I have been getting some mixed seggestions but the AE SC10 keeps coming up. Will it be a huge disadvantage to go with a 2wd ?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
SNOWMAN7765

Perfect that helps a ton. Thank you
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
thehuntingterminator

no problem man, its what the forums are for. of course a personal message to an admin (Foxy or Thunderbirdjunkie) recommending me as a moderator wouldn't hurt either

Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
SNOWMAN7765

will do
Old 01-02-2012, 01:33 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

no problem man, its what the forums are for. of course a personal message to an admin (Foxy or Thunderbirdjunkie) recommending me as a moderator wouldn't hurt either

I don't think ThunderBirdJunkie is in "admin".
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If you're looking to go racing, as much as ThunderbirdJunkie adores his XXX-SCT (2wd SCT is the biggest class at most tracks), the Kyosho Ultima SC-R is really the way to go.

Between radio, power system, batteries, etc, it'll be very easy to wind up with a grand or more to get started into the truck...but realistically, the SC-R is a better deal than the XXX-SCT, and as you said, you might as well go whole hog from the get-go.

SC-R
$400
No upgrades needed for the truck itself and all the materials are top notch.

XXX-SCT roller
$180
TLR tuning kit
$130
That's $310 right there
Then you add in some graphite parts (front bulkhead, shock towers, etc) and that's $60 right there, spare CVA's since the stockers wear quickly (ThunderbirdJunkie is running old XXX-T universals instead), 'bout $30, replace all the crappy stock captured rod ends with ball cups, about $25...the list goes on and on.

2wd 1/10 buggy is a cheaper class to get into, and cheaper to maintain. The TLR 22 and RC10B4.1FT are the best ways to go for a race car and the most supported by onsite hobby shops. The 22 is easier to drive and tougher, the B4.1FT is more "hairy" when it comes to handling, both are very fast and capable of propelling a good driver to a good finish anywhere. If you get a 22, put a Losi XXX diff gear with 12 balls in it during the initial build.

Beyond that, a decent radio is around $200-400 (ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend picking up a used Futaba 3PKS with the 2.4 FASST module and a receiver or two, shouldn't set you back more than a couple hundred), and ultimately, a Tekin RS Pro combo for motivation, although there are some really nice budget systems out there (DualSky's stuff from ckhobby.com is definitely worth checking out; Mike is a good guy, tell him ThunderbirdJunkie sent you)

Again, the Losi truck is awesome. But it develops slop more quickly than the SC-R, and is more expensive to get into "top tier" racing condition, and it's not quite as tough as the SC-R. Bear in mind that the Kyosho Ultima SC is not the same as the SC-R; they may as well be classified as completely different trucks despite using a number of the same or similar parts. Also, the Losi will likely be easier to get parts for should something go awfully wrong at a sensitive time (like during the last free-run of the day, 20 minutes before your main)

Another suggestion is head to the track and see what the local guys have for sale used. With buying a used car online, you never know what you're getting. ThunderbirdJunkie has scored some sweet deals over the years at the track (the B4.1 ThunderbirdJunkie currently has he paid $100 for as a roller with 3 race days on it, was in way better shape than his old B4 which he sold for $150[&:])

Mind you, these are all racing suggestions. ThunderbirdJunkie has separate play and race cars...he doesn't bomb around with his race cars out in the street, and he doesn't take his play cars to the track.

If you want to go 4wd SCT racing, well...then you're looking at a bigger pile of cash to do it right. ITBJHO that class isn't mature enough to make newbie-friendly suggestions.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

I don't think.
Edited for accuracy.

While ThunderbirdJunkie is, indeed, not an admin, mod, or whatever, he's more than happy to answer anybody's questions anybody has via PM or otherwise.
Thinking is for fools.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:17 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

TBJ gets away with being a jackass again... I guess you would have reported my post if it went to an active mod right? dude stop taking pot shots at people
ThunderbirdJunkie has been reporting every single post of yours that refers to him, and they go to either i8tweety or sheograth who has been gone for several days (understandable since it HAS been a holiday).

Please stop the rampant personal attacks.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
thehuntingterminator

it may not be my place to say anything, but both of yall are waaaayyy off topic to the point of where neither of you are helping the nice guy who asked the question. if yall are going to act like this, either block each other or continue to act inmature through personal messaging.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
SNOWMAN7765

So the Traxxas or the SC10 ......I cant remember now....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
thehuntingterminator

i would go with this version of the SC10. simple, solid, and comes with everything that you need out of the box (lipo, 2.4ghz, and charger) to have decent power and pretty good runtimes.

So the Traxxas or the SC10 ......I cant remember now....
Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
SNOWMAN7765

Ok cool thanks again

Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
pyromatic177

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

TBJ gets away with being a jackass again... I guess you would have reported my post if it went to an active mod right? dude stop taking pot shots at people
ThunderbirdJunkie has been reporting every single post of yours that refers to him, and they go to either i8tweety or sheograth who has been gone for several days (understandable since it HAS been a holiday).

Please stop the rampant personal attacks.
TBJ dont you think that there's a reason for these (i quote, rampant personal attacks)...IDK why, but maybe you should think about it!!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:18 PM
The_Shark

unless your a hardcore racer, a $300 radio is pointless, i use a flysky gt3b 2.4ghz system, for $35 all the adjustments you need and a solid signal.

you also dont need a major charger, buy a hobbyking/hobbypartz $50 charger, charges everything, balance discharge mapping, temp guage you name it, two years on mine going strong (ive used it to charge my 1/1 car a few times!)

right there your saving a bundle of money, and will work just fine unless you become a hardcore racer.

1/8 buggies or truggies are your best bet, powerfull, durable and race ready, im a huge fan of OFNA, HIGH quality products for low cost, then i would say mugen for something a little less bash more race.

dont expect wheelies on both, but do expect stable driving, great acceleration and stable jumping.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

unless your a hardcore racer, a $300 radio is pointless, i use a flysky gt3b 2.4ghz system, for $35 all the adjustments you need and a solid signal.

you also dont need a major charger, buy a hobbyking/hobbypartz $50 charger, charges everything, balance discharge mapping, temp guage you name it, two years on mine going strong (ive used it to charge my 1/1 car a few times!)

right there your saving a bundle of money, and will work just fine unless you become a hardcore racer.

1/8 buggies or truggies are your best bet, powerfull, durable and race ready, im a huge fan of OFNA, HIGH quality products for low cost, then i would say mugen for something a little less bash more race.

dont expect wheelies on both, but do expect stable driving, great acceleration and stable jumping.
Have you owned a higher end charger than the hobbypartz/hobbyking stuff? Have you owned a $300+ radio?

If the answers to either of these questions is no, then please don't tell anybody how "you don't need it unless you're a hardcore racer". It's not stuff you absolutely need if you don't know what 99.99999% of the features do, and even if you know what they do, you don't necessarily need it anyway.

You don't NEED an aftermarket radio. 99% of the time the stuff that comes with an RTR is just fine, and even the new HPI 2.4 radios come with endpoint adjustments, which is all you really need. The flysky radios are absolutely no better than your typical RTR 2.4 gear, so what's the point in paying $35 for something that's not a significant improvement? Hell, a used Futaba 3PJ you should be able to find for $50, and that is 1000x the radio that the FlySky computer radio is. Who cares if it's FM? Only crap RTR radios have issues with interference.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 AM
The_Shark

ive used other's stuff, only true difference is better feel in your hands, it speaks quality, but functionally- not a huge difference.

i could never live without EPA built in failsafe and lcd again, plus expo is a great tool for learning.

just saying if he gets a kit, you dont need to go overboard with the big stuff, agreed today's stock 2.4ghz are fine on RTR models, you dont NEED new radios but they are a nice upgrade.

and i have had a nice futaba FM computer radio, it was nice but honestly other than the feel, i like the flysky much better.

you dig?