Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Roll Cages?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:52 PM
jt_2_5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cages?

How do you guys feel about roll cages for a T-Maxx? I have heard conflicting stories, I know they add weight so it would not be good to race with, but what about bashing? Who makes a good one.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
BigRed350

Default RE: Roll Cages?

Yes they are worth it but makes it hard to work on them. I had a rc raven roll cage and loved it. I took it off when I put the new motor in and I have not put it back on yet.

The cheapest place to buy them is ebay get a rc raven or rc soulutions.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 AM
maxximum_overdrive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you also have to consider that the added weight will put more strain on your driveline and engine, posibly causing premature wear or breakage. plus on "awkard" landings, for instance........ on just one wheel (you know the kind that ends up sending the truck into cartwheels), the extra weight will put added stress on your a-arm and bulk heads. not to metion the fact that the stock steering servo is adicuate at best so uless you up grade, your steering will also suffer. this is just my opinion however, and i do like the way they look and the fack that they offer big protection for the internals (the expesive stuff)and stiffen the chassis.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:41 AM
katit

I wonder why nobody made plastic roll cage yet?

RPM should be able to make simple and very durable roll cage that will be light and will absorb energy at the same time.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Timmahh
Banned

look guys and gals, unless your Professionally Racing, traveling and have sponsers. the weight Factor is Nill...1st of all, not many people have ASTUT and Complete control of their trucks. though we admit we d, we truely dont do as well as our egos allows us to beleive.. Realistics is the name of the game, no face, no bs. facts only.., if true that your a great driver? then why all the broken parts??? (the precedeig was a GENERAL STATEMENT. and not directed at anyone) if you do have that kind of control then you should be on a circut.........
most of the roll cages available, are pretty light weight and do their job.. these arnt Full Scale units weighing tons.. their rcs that move approximatly 8-10x faster than scale.. so you tell me your 2 or 3 mph more speed when going into a tree at wot without a roll cage will fair better than the same truck and situatoin with roll cage and MAYBE 2 mph slower??? it wont happen.. the weight is NONE ISSUES ( unless your on a circut and have sponsers. but tehn well)
a cage has ONE PURPOSE ONLY. to protect..... that is its sole intention and sheer reason for being....

the more strain is a valid issue, but again small unless you have a completely stock set up and then add the heavyest roll cage you can find. then that will be more of an issue. and IF you have a stock Maxx, you have MANY OTHER hop ups to worry about long befor a roll cage..

Get a cage. its WORTH IT all in all. yes its a bit of a pita to do work, but my cage is off in 4 screws. if i cant wait for 4 screws when i need to fix something, then im in the wrong hobby....
jm3c
Tim

if prm did make a plastic roll cage, it would be interesting to see if the Lifetime warrenty would apply. i would doubt it but... RPM> any comments about this?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 PM
lax195
My Feedback: (2)

If RPM made a roll cage, I would ditch my aluminum one and get it FAST! RPM=RC Durability King.

Anyways, I have a full aluminum ladder roll cage that I picked up off of ebay. Its great! It stiffens up the chassis a lot and protects everything on roll overs, crashes, bad jumps, and all that good stuff. If I go to race, I will take it off... but they are great for bashing!

Theres a pic of my Revo when it was JUST rebuilt and clean... Now its a mess of dirt, mud, grass, leaves ...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
jt_2_5

Thanks for the info. Everyone made valid points. I am not too worried about the weight factor. I am not much of a racer. I just enjoy working on my Maxx and having fun with my 4yro son who thinks that a T-Maxx is the baddest thing in the world.

PS LAX195 that is a nice ride!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
ClintonBrookwell

Anybody make a roll cage for a Redcat Volcano S30? would like one new to the RC world...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Frontrunner91

I have a cage that came with my revo. I tried it for awhile before I had a decent body shell to run. A cage is heavy as a brick. Makes the simpllist repairs a pain. Does have a massive negative effect on how the truck handles. Also the increased wear and tear on the driveline and suspension. I have gotten rid of mine and use the perfect solution. Well designed and thought out, with years and years of engineering and field testing. A simple beat up ol stock body for bashing and a clean pretty painted one for sitting on the shelf. This is much better and superior in every way to a roll cage. 4 body clip and I can work on my truck. Land it upside down or on one wheel from 20' up and drive away without breaking anything. Keep the extra metal off your RC's you'll find that it is better in the long run.