Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/8th scale B-1B

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/8th scale B-1B

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 02:33 AM
theb1bman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8th scale B-1B

sweet
Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob just left and took the B-1 with him. He is ready to get back at it! He missed hi BABY! Ha !
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking about Bob n Butch's B-1B project n this what i just found in classified section...Its real sad to see it being sold now...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=808447
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Doctor jet

Sad to see it being sold..... not at all. The money will help pay for Bob to build a lighter version using glass- PU foam -glass sandwich lay-up. Maybe the buyer will also purchase flying wings from Bob too, which are work in progress after the F-105's are done. If you have ever done composite work, you will know how much these materials cost. They are not cheap.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Bobs prototype B1 is a steal for $6,000. If you ask any company who makes gear, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one that could make his gear for $6,000 alone.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Hustler58

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad to see it go but the new one will be something else! I'm sure Bob will sell what ever parts ar need to make it a flying model. Bye Bye Big Beast !
Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Bobs prototype B1 is a steal for $6,000. If you ask any company who makes gear, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find one that could make his gear for $6,000 alone.
Its somewhat of a unique project though, that few could complete and fly. The weight alone probably rules out anyone in the US without access to a dry lake bed...

Bob
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
RTK

Ya gotta love his commentary and skills, how to build a B1 Bomber ten minutes at a time... Best of luck on your next project. Get one going soon so we all can watch
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Its somewhat of a unique project though, that few could complete and fly. The weight alone probably rules out anyone in the US without access to a dry lake bed...

Bob
It might be a better idea to offer to build a 2nd lightweight version for some amount of $$ up front. It's tough marketing when the reason for selling the current model is excess weight.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 PM
1/2 time show
My Feedback: (78)

ORIGINAL: Johng

Bob
It might be a better idea to offer to build a 2nd lightweight version for some amount of $$ up front. It's tough marketing when the reason for selling the current model is excess weight.
Yeah Im jest gonna cut it up n chuck it in the dumpster I pulled the add. I will u use the tires on somthing else
Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1/2 time show

ORIGINAL: Johng

Bob
Yeah Im jest gonna cut it up n chuck it in the dumpster I pulled the add. I will u use the tires on somthing else

Dont do that, it would make a great Wind vane... well atleast for awhile
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Seraphim77

Yes...please don't just trash it. Donate it to a museum or Dyess AFB. I'd even take it and find a home for it if nobody wants it. It would make a great lobby piece. PM me before you start hacking.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 AM
1/2 time show

ORIGINAL: Seraphim77

Yes...please don't just trash it. Donate it to a museum or Dyess AFB. I'd even take it and find a home for it if nobody wants it. It would make a great lobby piece. PM me before you start hacking.
sorry the B-1 will be in the dumpster by dark
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

What a shame!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
1/2 time show

Ok to all you broke dudes out there please stop with the PM's I will not give this B-1 to any body I have a tun of cash in it. I have started taking it apart and not even a call from Obama can save it now
Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Ok to all you broke dudes out there please stop with the PM's I will not give this B-1 to any body I have a tun of cash in it. I have started taking it apart and not even a call from Obama can save it now
So, instead of donating it and taking a tax write-off to recoup your expense, you're going to throw a ton of cash in the dumpster?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Why is everyone so upset with Bob?
It's his plane, he used his money and his time to design and build it-he can do whatever he wants to do with it, including throwing it in the dumpster.
Lighten up.
Jon
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Something tells me a call from the big "O" would indeed save it....
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Props4ever

Hey Bob,

Go ahead and cut it up or chuck it in a dumpster, this we all have to see after you spent all this time and invested funds into this model just to do this.......heck donating it to ur air force or museum makes more sense as you can get tax receipt for it to recover most of ur costs to help boost urself financially to make ur 2nd prototype lighter model...This model is globally known now and ur air force already knows about it, so i don't see a problem donating it....
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
f20tiger

When I read you had the bomber for sale, the first thing I thought was , Dad will have to build another set of gear. Then with all the goodies you built, you would have to start over again, like the main bulkhead and the tail mechanism. Pulling the original apart to salvage as much as possible makes sense to me.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 PM
pilotdude57

Why don't you put a jet engine in it with downward thrust at the CG like a Harrier!! THAT would be cool, especially if you could get it to hover! Suggest using high-temperature 250 degree cure pre-preg and 1/8 " flex-core Nomex honeycomb sandwich under vacuum bagging on the next one. Super lightweight and stiff. Much better luck in the future.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'm sorry, but considering you solicited donations from people, with T shirts, do those people not perhaps have a say ? I don't know how many people donated or how much was donated, and I realize that the lions share of the money was yours and the time is yours, but after taking donations I think you have a responsibility to the project and the people who helped fund it to at least donate the model to a museum of some sort for display. To just cut it up and put it in a dumpster is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone don't you think? What a shame, just a total waste when it could have been used for something worthwhile still.......

Just my opinion, and perhaps it's not valid since I didn't donate to the project, but I wonder what the opinion's of those who did donate to it are....
Old 01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, the donation thing really doesn't matter. Those that donated weren't promised anything other than a T-shirt, and I assume that was honored. Donating to this cause is really no different than donating to a full scale warbird restoration only to have the owners sell it for millions right after or completion or not even make it to completion and have to bail on the project. Donation is just that, giving someone money.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: pilotdude57

Why don't you put a jet engine in it with downward thrust at the CG like a Harrier!! THAT would be cool, especially if you could get it to hover! Suggest using high-temperature 250 degree cure pre-preg and 1/8 '' flex-core Nomex honeycomb sandwich under vacuum bagging on the next one. Super lightweight and stiff. Much better luck in the future.
My god!!! This thread even made Tracy come out of the woodwork!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM
Seraphim77

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix
I'm sorry, but considering you solicited donations from people, with T shirts, do those people not perhaps have a say ? I don't know how many people donated or how much was donated, and I realize that the lions share of the money was yours and the time is yours, but after taking donations I think you have a responsibility to the project and the people who helped fund it to at least donate the model to a museum of some sort for display. To just cut it up and put it in a dumpster is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone don't you think? What a shame, just a total waste when it could have been used for something worthwhile still.......

Just my opinion, and perhaps it's not valid since I didn't donate to the project, but I wonder what the opinion's of those who did donate to it are....
Good point. I donated and would have preferred to see it given to a museum or Dyess AFB for tax deduction...even if it was just the shell. All that hard work and history just thrown in the dumpster seems a bit ridiculous to me and probably most others. I think, though, how this was handled is more of a PR problem as no explanation or justification was given that made sense in the eye of public opinion. Granted, it's ultimately Bob's call, and perhaps he wanted to recoup some of the internal parts and bulkheads...including gear. That aspect wasn't communicated though. As a "Bob TV" star now, being a celebrity of sorts in the RC world exposes him to judgment and the critical eye of his followers, so if he is miffed at the outcry and blowback, he's going to have to deal with it and recognize this project is just not about him and his hard work...especially since a bunch of people donated (aka investors) to the project. Donations were given freely AND they were also solicited. I think Bob probably wasn't sensitive to or thinking through that aspect. He could have setup a poll to help generate B-1B buzz and get everybody excited about the project again. He could have kept and auctioned it off too. Instead, how things went down ended up probably leaving a bad taste and negative feeling. Marketing 101. 20/20 hindsight. Apparently Bob just wants to build/fly, so I don't fully blame him for not having his marketing/PR game face on. That said, he did commercialize himself and the project a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.