Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Why Is 3D Hated?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Why Is 3D Hated?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Is 3D Hated?

People fear anything they don't or refuse to understand[X(]..... Isn't this topic getting old anyway[&o]? Love it or hate it your gonna have to deal with it because it's here to stay in a big way.. Now lets all go fly, I'll be doing 3d on my sim so you won't have to worry about me til spring....
Old 01-03-2012, 08:58 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again arrogance, ignorance and lack of respect from any pilot is the problem. One "circle flyer" shows these traits and all "circle flyers" hate 3D. One 3D'er shows these traits and all 3D'ers are dangerous and inconsiderate. Don't show these traits, and judge each person on their actions and you will be surprised at how few conflicts you will have.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
brycesteenburg
My Feedback: (40)

I have other stories to tell of the same kind of behavior. Learning to fly 3d with a Joss stick and a moki 135. Again everyone else "resting" I am out beyond center of the runway in the field, attempting to learn some "3D". I actually pulled off a few of the manouvers. From behind in the peanut section I hear, "Thats not the pilot, it's the airplane design" This is the same guy who drilled me midflight going the opposite direction of the pattern a few months earlier. I learned he ran into another plane trying to take off later and the next week landed on top of someone else.

Imac guys I respected. I fly a combo of freestyle, 3d, and imac routines for my enjoyment. After landing 2 of the IMAC guys ask me to consider going IMAC flying at such and such and so and so's. I politely say no thanks, I'm happy with not competing in any thing at this time. One keeps asking me through the day why. I tell him I'm just not interested in competing. After the fourth time asking I finally expressed to the guy that driving all over creation to get judged and told how to fly with points and deductions was not my idea of fun. To this day he still looks at me with some disgust in his face.

Again tell me were I believe the problem lies.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I crash all my 3D planes on a simulator. Hasn't cost me a dime yet. RESET ... RESET ... RESET

Actually, 3D bores me. It's not for me. I tried it on a simulator and can't do it. I love my planes and jets. Love to fly a plane the way it is meant to fly ... fast and low. I've seen some people at my field do great things with their 3D plane, but I still can't watch it for more than a minute without getting bored by it. Everyone appreciates different things.

Many 3D pilots hover their 3D plane over the runway and close to the fright line (yeah, I wrote fright). That hogs the runway and creates a bunch of noise whereas no one else can hear their plane. They won't know if their engine quits until it's too late. Another annoying thing is the constant throttle changes of 3D planes. Can't the pilot keep a constant power setting while hovering? For me, those are the three most annoying things about 3D flying.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:27 PM
brycesteenburg
My Feedback: (40)

Coupla positives.... Flying for me is best when others "rest"... Finally getting the hang of some control of the planes in all attitudes, speeds and conditions. Having a ball and I hear from the "resting crew", in particular the older than me gent who taught me to fly, "wow your skills have greatly improved" Made my day at the time.

Another was later on some years. Out by myself at the field, rippin' 3d the best I could with my then 35%er and a car stops on the road, drives in, guy gets out and leans against the fence and just smiles, watching. I land grinning, he says "where did you learn to fly like that!" I told him the instructions are on the inside bottom of many gas cans. We both laughed, shot the bull and he left. Again made my day!!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: brycesteenburg

I have other stories to tell of the same kind of behavior. Learning to fly 3d with a Joss stick and a moki 135. Again everyone else ''resting'' I am out beyond center of the runway in the field, attempting to learn some ''3D''. I actually pulled off a few of the manouvers. From behind in the peanut section I hear, ''Thats not the pilot, it's the airplane design'' This is the same guy who drilled me midflight going the opposite direction of the pattern a few months earlier. I learned he ran into another plane trying to take off later and the next week landed on top of someone else.

Imac guys I respected. I fly a combo of freestyle, 3d, and imac routines for my enjoyment. After landing 2 of the IMAC guys ask me to consider going IMAC flying at such and such and so and so's. I politely say no thanks, I'm happy with not competing in any thing at this time. One keeps asking me through the day why. I tell him I'm just not interested in competing. After the fourth time asking I finally expressed to the guy that driving all over creation to get judged and told how to fly with points and deductions was not my idea of fun. To this day he still looks at me with some disgust in his face.

Again tell me were I believe the problem lies.
The problem lies in the attitude that if you don't do it like I do, then it's no good.
Nothing has changed from the days of the Kindergarten sandbox except for the size and the cost of the toys.
[I agree with you BTW about any events that require judge's opinions and the whole culture that goes along with it.]
Old 01-03-2012, 09:52 PM
ES CONTROL

OK Guys  
I am the O.P.
The real reason for asking the O.P. question is I feel the hate is on RC Universe , not so much at the field. ( If I was wrong , than why is this 8 pages long?) 
And complaining about 3D , is Is the same as cursing the black american red tail pilots in WW2 .

I am on the back side of 40 and it is taking me a long time to learn 3D. And I too , see others pass me up. 
O Lord .This is so hard getting older . 

Picture this. A builder works 10 years to build a giant scale war bird. After some time he wants to find someone to fly it.   Who do you think he goes to?                Me!       A 3D Freak!!!
I can not do the rolling har. Or a tork roll!    And I have experienced crash after crash!!!  
   But he Knows that my left thumb is trained and that I love airplanes.  And That is were its at..         I love of  flying!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 PM
combatpigg

Tell ya what ESCONTROL, I'll answer your original question the way you want to hear it answered, so here goes.
3D flyers are the most skilled, knowledgeable and considerate flyers of all.
They also tend to be the most mature, worldly and well educated folks you'll ever know.
Their superior reflexes allow them to take risks with not just their own safety, but the safety of others because as we all know, they never have had any insurance claims with the AMA.
The hate stems from out of pure jealousy, nothing else...because as we all know, 3D flyers are the back bone of the hobby and that no other subcategories of model flying or model building can hold a candle to them.
In fact, The Most Interesting Man In The World rarely flys, but when he does, he flys 3D.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

There will always be a little disagreement with flying styles. Like wine, art or movies it is just personal taste. I like 3D flying. I like scale just as much, especially warbirds. I have seen videos of a P-51D Mustang hovering and torque rolling. I thought it was great, but others at that flying field were upset with the non-scale flying even though it wasn't over the runway or being done with any other planes in the air. Some people aren't happy unless you are doing what they think is correct. If you are flying safely and with regard to other flyers then go for it! This hobby is for fun! That being said where I fly there is very little issue with any type of flying. A great club for sure!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Tarasdad

Zing!!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
rcaircraftnut

Last time I will post in this thread as its just to much stupidity here. CombatPig, you are IMO the type of keyboard commando that looks for any opportunity to post something stupid just to agitate others. This hobby is supposed to be about helping others and having fun together. Thats what I meant by Brotherhood. Yes we all give each other a hard timeover on the Probro site but we dont do it to make people mad or stir up the pot so to speak. And we also dont have moderators as we all get along so well there is no need for them. So I can say this for fact I dont have an attitude problem.I have never been asked to leave a field or event, and have been asked to return anytime at EVERY place Ive ever flown. So it isnt me. But it seems every club has at least one guy who thinks its his place to get an attitude with every new pilot that has a 3D plane showing up to fly. Most times I pull out my one non 3D plane first, then after having no issues I go bring out the 50cc Hybrid and before I can even put the landing gearon it this guy will come up and in a VERY RUDE manner make sure I amtold to either NOT fly 3D at all or tell me I have to be way off the end of the runway or some other such nonsense. I have no problem sharing airspace. If you saw the pics Gus posted of the mass hover you would realize that it is possible to have 30+ planes in the air at once. And for the record we had no colisions durring the Mass Hover. If that makes you mad, then post some more but I wont see it as Im done feeding you TROLL!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: rcaircraftnut

Last time I will post in this thread as its just to much stupidity here. CombatPig, you are IMO the type of keyboard commando that looks for any opportunity to post something stupid just to agitate others. This hobby is supposed to be about helping others and having fun together. Thats what I meant by Brotherhood. Yes we all give each other a hard timeover on the Probro site but we dont do it to make people mad or stir up the pot so to speak. And we also dont have moderators as we all get along so well there is no need for them. So I can say this for fact I dont have an attitude problem.I have never been asked to leave a field or event, and have been asked to return anytime at EVERY place Ive ever flown. So it isnt me. But it seems every club has at least one guy who thinks its his place to get an attitude with every new pilot that has a 3D plane showing up to fly. Most times I pull out my one non 3D plane first, then after having no issues I go bring out the 50cc Hybrid and before I can even put the landing gearon it this guy will come up and in a VERY RUDE manner make sure I amtold to either NOT fly 3D at all or tell me I have to be way off the end of the runway or some other such nonsense. I have no problem sharing airspace. If you saw the pics Gus posted of the mass hover you would realize that it is possible to have 30+ planes in the air at once. And for the record we had no colisions durring the Mass Hover. If that makes you mad, then post some more but I wont see it as Im done feeding you TROLL!
My last reply to your post exposed you for the Drama Queen that you are and made you look ridiculous, sorry if that made you almost mad enough to confront me like a man in person.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:31 AM
George C

People who 3D often make me jump off my chair and I have a bad leg. I hate it when my leg hurts. When I fly my Stearman with grace and style I don't cause pain to anyone. Do I?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it annoying when someone likes to hear their engine running in the pits or in the starting gates all day while I'm trying to fly. I find the noise from a plane (or heli) hovering over the strip in front of the pilot station just as annoying.

I'm not jealous of the guys skill in hovering his 3-axis stabilised electric T-REX 450 (or clone) or his full 3D Raptor 90, I'm not jealous of the guy that can hover his foamy or 40% Extra and I'm very sure that I'm not jealous of the 90yo pensioner that likes to listen to his twin engine De Havilland Comet running in the starting gates on a Sunday morning because his wife won't put up with him running it at home.

3D is a valid expression of flying freedom and needs to be respected as such. Just as some clubs have dedicated areas for heli hovering, so should there be dedicated areas for 3D away from the normal pilot station leaving the main landing strip clear at all times.

I fly pattern and the "circuit" flyers drive me mad. Actually if they could fly a circuit I'd be fine but there're just some days that no matter how far out I push my baseline or how how my topline is, there'll still be someone specking out their 40 sized trainer 700-800 feet out from the pilot station anywhere between 100 and 1000ft AGL, how they can still see it is beyond me......

Old 01-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
Tell ya what ESCONTROL, I'll answer your original question the way you want to hear it answered, so here goes.
They also tend to be the most mature, worldly and well educated folks you'll ever know.
Their superior reflexes allow them to take risks with not just their own safety, but the safety of others because as we all know, they never have had any insurance claims with the AMA.
The hate stems from out of pure jealousy, nothing else...because as we all know, 3D flyers are the back bone of the hobby and that no other subcategories of model flying or model building can hold a candle to them.
In fact, The Most Interesting Man In The World rarely flys, but when he does, he flys 3D.
YES !!! EXACTLY !! 3D pilots are the most handsome, attractive, wealthy, educated, polite, informative, compassionate, understanding, friendly, mature (oh, you already mentioned that), intelligent, sophicated, knowledgeable, physically fit, supportive, and amorous people in the world. I only hope to be accepted into their presence one day. They are the backbone of America. We should vote them into office. Even for President of America. They will get this country back on track. Vote for a 3D pilot. (que the music for The Star-Spangled Banner) ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92438.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1709554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15626.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1709555  
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Warbirds fly, and are fun to look at.  Pattern planes fly, and intricately.  Trainers fly, and are fun to watch crash.  Racers fly, and fast.

On the other hand 3d is a big, big motor dragging a wing and body around.  That is not flying.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 AM
groovy67
My Feedback: (1)

My gripe on 3D planes is that everyone and their grandmother has one and the planes all look alike so the lineup at the field looks boring. Since 3D planes don't require much runway for takeoff,they should fly over in the heli or control line part of the field so as not to bother the people flying "real" aircraft.I would like them better if they had flaps and retracts and stars and stripes on the wings!
Ok,I'm done venting.
John
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 AM
RealFly

Not everyone can 3D and not everyone can do IMAC.  The best pilots can do both.  Torque rolling is hard right?  Now try to do a perfect rolling circle (1 rotation to the circle) with everyone watching and three judging.  Both are in the top ranks of aspirations, and both require totally different but enviable skills.  It's not the type of flight, its the courtesy of the pilots.  We give way at our field when someone asks and generally spot for one another when there is varying traffic...We have both types of pilots and heli guys flying as well....

Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Airplanes400

ORIGINAL: groovy67
My gripe on 3D planes is that everyone and their grandmother has one .....
Yep. Everyone and their grandmother has a 3D plane ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq47866.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	1709579  
Old 01-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Flexnbeef
My Feedback: (9)

[quote]ORIGINAL: rgburrill

On the other hand 3d is a big, big motor dragging a wing and body around. That is not flying.

Keep flying circles SALLY. [&o]
Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are too many 3D pilots who think they are celebrities and own exclusive flying time hovering over the runway and the heck with everyone else! There is a high degree of arrogance with many of these pilots, especially those with the larger planes. They literally feel they should be given exclusive "alone time" on the runway. This is where the negative feelings come to fruition. I also feel a large 30%-40% plane hovering over the runway, near the ground and near other pilots and spectators, post a safety issue in the event of an equipment failure. However, explaining this possible safety hazard to an arrogant type 3D pilot just creates more arrogance with a typical response of; "are you questioning my flying ability?" I am sure there are many courteous 3D pilots, but there are also many who feel they are above field rules and are justified in doing whatever they want!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:00 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya Know every club has it Know it all trouble makers and your last line of every statement shows just who you are ...Sorry if the truth Hurts ya MR. PIG
"
HEY!! If I want any crap outta you, I''''ll just squeeze your head!! "

Old 01-04-2012, 06:05 AM
luckyb

I agree with Red Baron Mike wholeheartedly. However, most times we( warbird guys) co-exist and have no problem with the 3-D guys. At events it has become a non issue, because they get their own slot to fly, and I must tell you a bunch of these guys flying at once is a sight to behold. However , at local fields on a regular flying day I have seen conflict with guys flying the pattern. It all comes down to common sense and courtesy. I do appreciate the skill required, and certainly don't " hate " them.............Doug ( just my 2 cents)
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rcaircraftnut

My last reply to your post exposed you for the Drama Queen that you are and made you look ridiculous, sorry if that made you almost mad enough to confront me like a man in person.
Still stirrin', eh pig? not sure I agree you made anyone look ridiculous; your sarcastic reply was just more of the same attitude that's displayed by the general public about something they don't like, understand, or hate. It's much easier to make fun of something and joke about it than get into it. Not saying I don't do that either; it's pretty easy to pigeonhole "circle flyers" too. I try to appreciate all segments of this hobby, for a couple of reasons: airplanes are cool, and there aren't enough r/c modelers in total for us to bicker and segment ourselves (though we do it anyway)...
Old 01-04-2012, 06:30 AM
rchad

Not sure how 3D bores or is hated by anyone. If watching a plane fly in circles and doing a loop or barrel roll excites you maybe you need a younger wife. JUST KIDDING, what ever type of flying keeps you happy go for it. At least you are supporting this hobby. Im grateful I am not like some of you. I like all types of flying and planes. I can sit and watch a new guy learning on a trainer, a scale war bird doing it's flyby, to a guy doing pattern or 3D and enjoy every minute of all of them. I enjoy RC planes no matter what plane it is. Reading some of these post makes me love my field even more and thankful I don't have guys at my field with attitudes like some of you on here. Don't have the drama some of you guys are putting up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.