Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

LiFe Rx Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 PM
srafi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiFe Rx Battery

Hi Guys
I bought this battery http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o4%5FPack.html. Can this be used for Rx pack? I realized when i got this that it has XT60 connectors. My screw up. But if i change the connector can i still use it for the Rx or does it have too high of a discharge rate? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: LiFe Rx Battery

Loads of people, myself included, are using 2S LiFePO4 packs unregulated with great success. I currently fly with nothing else. That is in everything from gliders (6 servo thermal duration planes) to helis (including 90 sie), and airplanes (pattern). Change out the connector and charge using the A123 setting on your charger (if you have one.DO NOT charge on the lipo or NiXX settings). No worries. Just about any major brand servo rated for 6 volts can handle an unregulated 2S LiFePO4 pack.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:01 AM
srafi

My concern with using these as Rx batteries is the high "C" rating. These are 30 C and also that the wire from the battery is very thick (12 AGW). The leads that i have with the Futaba type connectors are very thin. Would this work connecting the thick leads to the thin ones. Would the "C" rating effect the servos or anything?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: srafi

My concern with using these as Rx batteries is the high ''C'' rating. These are 30 C and also that the wire from the battery is very thick (12 AGW). The leads that i have with the Futaba type connectors are very thin. Would this work connecting the thick leads to the thin ones. Would the ''C'' rating effect the servos or anything?
The C rating refers to how much discharge current the battery can handle. Since you have a 2100mah battery, rated at 30C, the battery can handle 60a current draw. Depending upon the number and type of servos, you will be lucky to draw 5a, so you will be well below the max that the battery can handle. The size of wire and the connector used on the power leads of the battery depends upon the amount of current being drawn. You can make up an adapter to convert the XT60 connectors to 22ga servo leads.

You have not said what type of aircraft and power system you are using this battery for. If you are using the battery just for the Rx, you can plug it into a switch harness with normal servo leads.

In the future, you might pick a battery that is specifically designated as an Rx battery. They come with servo leads already soldered to the battery. You also do not need to pay extra for such a high C rating.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Remember that the C rating is what the battery can deliver. You have an 8" water main coming down the street to your house, but when you turn on the shower you only get what you need. If all you had was a 1" pipe then if you open another source like turning on the washer, you wouldn't have enough water because that little pipe couldn't handle the demand but with that 8" main you don't have to worry, you can run the washer, water the grass, etc when the demand increases because of the capacity of the water main but it will still work just fine if all you use is the shower
Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

An excellent and a very relevant and practical example.

Karol
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbyking sells the ZippyFlightmax 2500mA.hr 6.6V liFePO4 pack. I am using 3 of them.
One on my Tx (Futaba 8FG) and another in an aerobatic glider modeled on a Le Fish. They're excellent packs thus far. They are 5C rated and have normal servo connectors and 22AWG wire. 
The Hyperion LiFePO4 packs are 5C charge rated and 25C discharge, also no issues there. The electrical system only draws what it needs.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Ernie Misner

HK also has little 700mah LIFE rx batteries. Just right for the smaller, lightweight applications....

Ernie Misner