Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

my backdraft 8e!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default my backdraft 8e!

Just showed up today!
I got it used, but its in really good condition...better than i though really. hardly a scratch on it.

Body is pretty cool looking to.

Everything is stock, but works good. Came with the stock lipos as well. $150 shipped, score!

I have a metal geared servo that will go in it if the stock one fails.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83531.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1710031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55286.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1710032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej11975.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1710033  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 AM
edgeverse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my backdraft 8e!

What a sweet looking paint job. Oh the metal gear servo is awesome. I have one in mine
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

thanx,
its sitting on the table, i keep looking at it and cant believe i got it for $150.

the ESC/motor combo new is over $100. Lipos in it are worth $40 by themselves.

Cant waid to take it out for some bashing!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM
edgeverse

hey a 150.00 is a sweet deal. it looks like the previous owner took time to keep it up and do some custom painting. great look.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
JTuepker1

Take your time and check screws first. Especially the lower shock screws lost a ton of them. Also check the hub screws.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
iluvny081

what body is that?
Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
iluvny081

and what kind of rear wing mount is on there?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: iluvny081

and what kind of rear wing mount is on there?
dont know where the previous owner got this body. its the same shape as the backdraft's, so i believe it probly came from one of the other companies that sells the same model...like the bsd landripper.
i found this body:
http://www.nitrorcx.com/63p-bs803-003.html
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM
edgeverse

Thats a Backdraft/BSDLAndripper body all right
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

Thats a Backdraft/BSD LAndripper body all right
yep.

when spring comes i may buy a clear backdraft body and paint it myself. I like the idea of a blue/black fade.

I drove it on my road today...sucker is fast but much different from my earthquake 8e was ( as i thought it would be)

where the E 8e would wheely and want to swerve all over the road, the backdraft shoots straight and true! doesnt flip over when you try to turn it either...lol

I think im goona like this model.

my T-bone racing bumper should be here by monday.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 PM
edgeverse

Thats one thing I love about the BD.
When mine was an EQ8e, it did all of the things you mentioned.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

Thats one thing I love about the BD.
When mine was an EQ8e, it did all of the things you mentioned.
my E 8e was bad after i replaced the servo...took me awhile of having very sluggish and sloppy steering to realize that the servo saver adjustment was way too loose. I could hardly drive in a straight line even at slow speed.

but even once i got that figured out, those massive tires and higher CG made it a handful to drive. Even wth a wheely bar(which was extremely durable!) it still had the front tires off the ground so much that steering would often be useless.

the way the BD takes off is totally different. a little wheel spin and then it just shoots upto top speed.

Im probly gonna take it to the ball field tomorrow...let her run on some packed dirt. then into the woods where there are some dirt jumps.

Its amazing how differnt the 2 models feel. only the tires, stub axles and body differ really. yet even the power of the ezrun system feels different in the BD. guess its just how it uses that power with the buggy wheels instead of massive MT tires.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 AM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

This is a nitro converted to brushless right?

I don't have those 4 big screws on my BD8E.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:19 AM
iluvny081

good call guys, I think that buggy is actually a BSD bs809t buggy, it looks the exact same as the on on the top of this page. waaaayyyyyyyyyyy better looking than the backdraft in my opinion.

http://www.b****cing.com/app/menu.ph...t&product_id=1
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: St33v3

what screws do you mean? this was not a converted nitro.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

good call guys, I think that buggy is actually a BSD bs809t buggy, it looks the exact same as the on on the top of this page. waaaayyyyyyyyyyy better looking than the backdraft in my opinion.

http://www.b****cing.com/app/menu.ph...t&product_id=1
At 1st i didnt think so....but looking closer I see that the BSD and redcat versions use different wing mounts. the BSD (mine) has a narrow wing tower, where the backdraft has a wide one.
the wide one looks better IMO.
The body on the BSD is flashier than the backdraft, but otherwise they look the same.
Almost bumbed its not an actuall redcat.
Ill have to get a bunch of redcat stickers and slap them all over the body

While many of redcat's models are sold by other companies....I find that redcat supports their models better than any of the others.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:48 AM
iluvny081

the motor mount on your newly aquired bsd is different than the redcats. the redcats motor mount is built right into the diff mount the bsd uses a motor mount that bolts to the chassis much like the earlier brushless conversions that utilize the existing nito motor mount holes in the chassis. other than the motor mounts though it looks like everything else is the same.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

the motor mount on your newly aquired bsd is different than the redcats. the redcats motor mount is built right into the diff mount the bsd uses a motor mount that bolts to the chassis much like the earlier brushless conversions that utilize the existing nito motor mount holes in the chassis. other than the motor mounts though it looks like everything else is the same.
ah, didnt know that. its been ahwile since i had my E 8e.
I do recall that adjusting the gear mesh was a pain. I think the setup on mine makes that easier.
As long as 95% of the parts are compatible with the redcat then im happy. That makes getting parts way easier.

I was gonna take the buggy out today, but we just got alittle snow. I will have to wait till I have some time to make it "water resistant" before i can drive it again. Wont be too hard, as the body fits snug to the chassis and will help keep most of the snow out.

It is something to keep in mind when shopping for a used redcat, that HSP, BSD and a couple of others are basically the same. so if you find a good bsd or hsp or himoto that is basically the same as a redcat for a good price...pick it up! Parts will be easy to get and you will have support from forums like this!

I actually found a listing for this BSD buggy...but it came with a 8.4v nimh[:'(] This buggy needs at least 3s lipo to be fun.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

gave the buggy its 1st good drive yesturday
Its not in the vid, but i did some drag races against the slash 4x4 on 2s....the buggy smoked it every time. It launches soo much harder and more stable than the slash does

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STe4igcNPs8&list=UUvwHY0wHFW3a5QFqQRkaKGQ&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]
Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 AM
iluvny081

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

[img][/img]

i kind of like the bsd motor mount better but you have to admit its really weird. when you see the 4 holes like that in the chassis you think nitro conversion, but on the bsd the nitro style motor mount holes are in the front of the chassis. when's the last time you saw a nitro truck or buggy with the motor in the front of the chassis? im thinking bsd had a hole slew of motor mounts they had to use up and this is a direct result of it. but I think its better than redcat though. seems stronger and easier to adjust.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I dont know if the bsd mount is any stronger....but it is easier to adjust gear mesh than the redcat.

the bsd did also come with a small heat sink on the motor. Redcat has a massive heat sink and fan for the 8e's...but its an upgrade option. I had it on my E 8e and temps dropped by 20-25 degrees!

The buggy ran awsome yesturday. We didnt get it on video, but i jumped a bank......the buggy was 6 feet in the air and at a weird angle....i thougt for sure it would land badly and roll a few times and break something. but instead it leveled itself out just before landing!

I have seen some vids on youtube of the backdraft on a BMX course....doing jumps WAY bigger than any you would see on a race track. Even tho you could hear the chassis smack the ground the backdraft took every rough landing with ease.

I look forward to putting mine threw some more punishment
Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
JTuepker1

Just rebuilt mine after running my Caster Racing all summer. i went a differernt route. I tossed in a 13.5 sensored motor and an 80 amp hobby wing esc. Running 3s lipo the thing is just as much nuts as it was on 4s and the 8th scale motors. I have retired my redcat due to diff issues. I now running the white associated grease in front and rear and the thicker black grease in the middle. My 3 year old is having a blast with it.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: JTuepker1

Just rebuilt mine after running my Caster Racing all summer. i went a differernt route. I tossed in a 13.5 sensored motor and an 80 amp hobby wing esc. Running 3s lipo the thing is just as much nuts as it was on 4s and the 8th scale motors. I have retired my redcat due to diff issues. I now running the white associated grease in front and rear and the thicker black grease in the middle. My 3 year old is having a blast with it.
how bad were your diff issues?
my earthquake ran for about 10 packs before the rear diff failed. but when i tried to put a new one it i think the diff case didnt get tight enough cause the new diff failed in 2 packs.

But i think the buggy version should hold up better. Those massive earthquake tires (largest tires i have ever seen with a 12mm hex) put alot more stress on the drivetrain. So im hopefull that my diffs will hold up better.
Forget who on here has one, but he has a shredder and is running a 150amp system on 6s and hasnt had a diff go yet!
Old 01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
JTuepker1

leaking issues mainly, running a tekin motor in it i would have to pull them after 2 7 min quals and redo them. I did end up putting grease in them and that helped but didnt get the performance i needed hence the changed to another company. I did manage to keep it together for a few club races before stepping out with it for one major. It took 4th in the b main with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.