Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Alignment on Caldera 10e

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
jbain2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment on Caldera 10e

So I am just getting back in to RC. I picked up a Caldera 10e. Put some 5000 2c 40 lipo batteries and it is crazy fast. From the beginning though the alignement has been off. It pulls to the right. I have tried adjusting the steering trim, even with it all the way to the left it still pulls right. I would like to be able to have the steering trim in neutral.Where should I start? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
ShredderGuy

Default RE: Alignment on Caldera 10e

Unhook your steering servo horn and make sure the servo is set to neutral then hook it back up with your wheels straight. Here is a quick how to video I found on youtube for you. I did not watch it so it might suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEuByn1eifA
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what he said^

also, when you add more power to a model, it often results in some loss of control.
put a 2s lipo in a rustler vxl and try to keep the sucker straight!

also, tires can effect handling. The caldera's tires ballon easy(deform under high rotation) This is the case with many monster truck style tires, and can effect handling.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
jbain2

I have tried centering the servo, I actually replaced it with a metal gear servo and recenterd it then. It pulls to one side even at low speeds which makes me think that it is not related to speed. Should I adjust the steering linkage?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbain2

I have tried centering the servo, I actually replaced it with a metal gear servo and recenterd it then. It pulls to one side even at low speeds which makes me think that it is not related to speed. Should I adjust the steering linkage?
check that the servo saver adjustment nut is tight. if the servo saver is a bit loose, it will make the steering sluggish and sloppy.

If the wheels are straight when you have the radio centered, then it may not be a servo or linkage issue.

You could look at the toe setting. are the front tires parallel? or do the have some toe in or out?

could there be some binding on the side that it pulls to. something that may be slowing down the wheels on that side of the truck. debris, bad bearings or binding of some sort?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 AM
jbain2

I will take a closer look at the toe and camber. I am not sure about a bad bearing, unless it came out of the box that way. It doesn't feel sluggish from a steering standpoint. My initial thought about the servo saver was that it would never hold up with a single screw into the soft plastic, but I will take a look at it. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: jbain2

check that the servo saver adjustment nut is tight. if the servo saver is a bit loose, it will make the steering sluggish and sloppy.

If the wheels are straight when you have the radio centered, then it may not be a servo or linkage issue.

You could look at the toe setting. are the front tires parallel? or do the have some toe in or out?

could there be some binding on the side that it pulls to. something that may be slowing down the wheels on that side of the truck. debris, bad bearings or binding of some sort?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
jbain2

It seems like I have got the alignment as accurate as I can at this point. One of the things that I came across while trying to diagnose the problem was there seems to be a lot of in and out play of the bearings as they sit in the front hubs. It is limited to the fronts only. Is this normal? I would think I would want it with as little play as possible? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 AM
wildbills rc
My Feedback: (1)

How do you adjust the toe/camber? My 2 back wheels are not stright by any means
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 AM
jbain2

I adjusted the linkage/tie rod. By making it longer or shorter, the wheels tilt in or out.

ORIGINAL: wildbills rc

How do you adjust the toe/camber? My 2 back wheels are not stright by any means