Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:46 AM
aircrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Weeeha !!!

While I was taping a fuselage three new babies (Big Lama of course) arrived !
I have to unpack, see, check and test flight.
I`m feeling like a kid !
My toys !

I have to see what I`ll do with the boxes and what with all those the Tx I have. Maybe I`ll give some in the future.
It`s about a dozen Tx...

Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: rikybob

ORIGINAL: Buz

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Hi Buzz,

Well, I am almost convinced I`ll crash the 450 so bad that I`ll regret I got it. It will need too much spares and repairing time. The bad thing I have no single spare part, except of some skids, canopy, tail boom, esc. But I think I`ll need rotor parts, gear, belt, servo and such.
But I thought it was a good price to get one and try something different. I cross my fingers.
Anyway it can be stand still as a model, if only it does not get a severe damage.

What matters is to enjoy flying no matter what the bird is. This is what I understood from what you say.
Well, if you go to heli again maybe you try something different, or a BOL again.

<hr />
Hi Brian,

I`ll take a look. It seems a source of lots of info together.
As for the Tx I fly all the BOL with a single Tx. All are trimmed through servo linkages the same, so there is no problem. Even if one is not trimmed very well I can fly it.
But I have too many Tx standing, taking space in the house. That`s what I`m thinking of what to do.
Maybe it would be a nice idea to get one cheap 450 clone and start with it. Or a compatible rotor head for the Belt CP and have it as spare.

From some videos of yours that I had seen it looked quite easy to fly. But I know it won`t be. You just had gone well into it.
Good for you, I mean it.

Good to see you both around.

Hiya Spiros!

Best to you and don't mind picking my mind for ideas!

b

PS Buzz is right and the purchase of a [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14304]SIM[/link] is the way to go!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste! ..... You linked him to a cable! lol

Read below the cable Grasshopper and you will SEE!

It's a 120 cheaper alternative to Phoenix!

b
I know, Sunshine! Just kidding around. I thought they quit making those "dongles"..... Like the idiot that I am... I paid full price for it! [:'(]
Old 10-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Buz

ORIGINAL: aircrash

Weeeha !!! [img][/img]

While I was taping a fuselage three new babies (Big Lama of course) arrived !
I have to unpack, see, check and test flight.
I`m feeling like a kid !
My toys !

I have to see what I`ll do with the boxes and what with all those the Tx I have. Maybe I`ll give some in the future.
It`s about a dozen Tx...

MORE???? Now I know what you're doing. You're setting up your own BOL hobby shop! I think you should take all of the boxes and cut out little hangars for each of your heli's to live in.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
aircrash

ORIGINAL: Buz

MORE???? Now I know what you're doing. You're setting up your own BOL hobby shop! I think you should take all of the boxes and cut out little hangars for each of your heli's to live in.

Hi again Buzz,

Well, if things go wrong at least I can start selling them. Until then, that I cross my fingers that it won`t ever happen, those are my toys.
Yes, you could say I`ve set up my own BOL hobby shop. A private one, just for me.
I have lots of spare parts. Even if I can straigthen up an outer shaft and so I don`t need actually one, I have more than 24x... LOL

As for the RTF...
Well... one blue, one red, one green, one orange HB CPX, one light blue HB CPX, one HB CT, one E500 blue and one E500 yellow fuselage, makes eight helicopters.
I want them all be ready to fly.
Some RTF are just "spare".
Any canopy/tail boom version I`ll build, two or three maybe, will be a "spare parts BOL". Including electronics.

Well, I`m nuts!
I can`t help it. Like it was the most attractive woman in the world.
The truth is I enjoy much building one, modding it, and finally fly it. Even look at it.
I hope my kid will fly them in the future. Crashes won`t be a problem. Spare parts enough to feed chickens...

The real truth is I am good at it right now. I don`t crash any more.

I hope noone catches this flu, or if he has then enjoy as much as I do.

Happy flying, enjoy,

Spiros

Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM
aircrash

I forgot to say I have more blades than my razors I have used till now.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:20 AM
aircrash

OK, I admit it is not so normal to get into this level of madness.
But even if I did it is cheaper than other "toys".
Like an iphone and an ipad... useless... at least for me.
This is not an excuse but the reality. Everyone spends his money to get happiness. Most of the times wasting them as some other thinking and vice versa.

Viva Big Lama (totally nuts).
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
aircrash

Enough talking.

A new, fresh, video.

I tested a brand new one, so to check if it is OK.
An awesome indoors flight, although it is not perfectly trimmed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjIAccz5_c4[/youtube]

I have got good at it !
Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 AM
aircrash

My son observes the test flight of the #2 Big Lama.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-eJz5-yvA[/youtube]
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
aircrash

Hmm, some new Big Lama in progress. There are more to come...

Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86751.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1683719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91217.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1683720  
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM
aircrash

I see no much traffic here, so I gues I will post a message for this beautiful scale helicopter.

I made a pause on the progress of the different fuselage BOLs and to the tail boom / canopy BOLs.
But the news is I got both the E500 fuselage, yellow and white/blue.
And bought also some more spare parts...
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Edmund2

Question is do you actually get time to fly?????? It has been such a long time since I had anything in the air. I dolookat 3 xBOLs,1 x L4 and the TREX 550E everyday "sleeping" on the TV cabinet with 2 x Belt CP V2's just behind myseat every day but just do not get the time to fly it!!!!!

Edmund
Old 11-17-2011, 03:32 AM
aircrash

Hi Edmund,

Well, no.
I have a quite hard job and get home a bit tired. And I have my little kid that I must spend some time with him also. So, the weekends that I could fly are spent on my kid mostly.

Right now I have 12 RTF BOL (not to count any BNF), a few still in the box, a Belt-CP V2 and a Belt CPX that have not flown them at all, 5 Syma S107 and a Blade 450 RTF on the way.
I fly the Syma occasionaly as my little kid loves to watch. My wife even flies them for my kid.

Always have a great time,
Spiros
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
kiwigeoff

Hi Guys

Happy New Year!

Good to see some of the old gang are still out there in Big Lama land. Hi to Edmund, Spiros , Buz , Peter and Brian.   I have been working too hard and changing countries, from Texas to South Korea.  I am now starting to fly the Big Lamas in South Korea. Its been over a year since I have been on the controls, so I may have to put in quiet time if I do not want to rebuild too much!

I note that the suppliers are not stocking so many Big LAMA parts now - have people moved on to other newer machines?  I have yet to fly the HK450 I built a  year ago

Geoff
Old 01-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Edmund2

Hi Geoff, great 2012 for you. One heck of a move you made, but the rewards mustbe there to start with.

Some of us still fly the Big Lama but almost all moved onto the HK450 and bigger. Spiros has a about 10 x 450 kits and is in the conversion from co-axial to realheli stage, suppose I fall inot that category as well but have very little fying time available. Peter decided to call it a day on this hobby so we do not hear from him anymore. Simon even puta couple of lipos through his BOL recently.

Meet all the old hands as as well as some new guys/gals on the HK450 forum and you will soon get it up and crash and up and crash etc.........

Edmind
Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 AM
rikybob

Hi Geoff!

Been having a blast with collective pitch and don't miss my BOL at all!

I sold it on Ebay nearly 2 years ago to a grandfather who wanted to spoil his grand son.

I have to imagine that within weeks it was in the trash bin but it was a great learning platform!

You will see in my sig line what I have now and I hope all is well in YOUR world!

b

PS What in the hell brings you to South Korea??

When you are bored > [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/b4566bb?feature=mhee]Master Helicopter Pilot esq.[/link]
Old 01-06-2012, 08:05 AM
aircrash

Hi Geoff,

It`s been a long time, good to see you`re OK and ready to fly again !

Well, I assume Esky has given more attention to distributors than to local market. Example is I can find anything I want in UK but not in HK. I must have bought the last available parts in HK.
I have some time to buy a spare part so I don`t know if now something changed.
But some parts were still available through ebay.

Yeah, it`s a very nice helicopter. Scale fuselage, easy to fly, fun to fly, in any space, not dangerous, not costly, simple to maintain, etc.
I fly it occasionally and sometimes indoors.

Happy new year to you too!
Good to see you around.

Spiros
Old 01-07-2012, 01:54 AM
Ductape009

Hi,

You prolly guessed it another new guy here. Just ordered up the Big Lama, for my next toy. With out a doubt I will crash, I was wondering do you guys have any recomendations on parts and where to buy them? I know I will be needing a few sets of blades and batteries , but have no idea what ones will work. Are there any parts that are prone to breaking on this model, thatI can pre order expecting them to fail. As it takes some time to get mail where I am.

Thank you for your time,
-Andy

Old 01-07-2012, 07:23 AM
aircrash

Hi Andy,

First of all I would suggest this upgrade:
Xtreme Productions extended inner shaft
This is the only upgrade you need to fly outdoors. If you fly indoors then you don`t need even this at all.

Spare parts to have in hand:
HP Blades need a shim. Cheap but perform well. Else Esky Blades
Inner shaft (when the rotors wobble then you must change it as it has bent)
Outer shaft (the same but first the inner shaft bents then the outer. It can be straightened with some technique)
Flybar
One piece Gear & shaft set A EK1-0365. As the stock one may have a hard threadlock and you may have to cut the inner shaft to the top so to remove the gear along with the inner shaft. Tip: before trying unscrewing the grub screw heat it up with a torch lighter. As much as the plastic is safe. Then immediately unscrew the grub screw. The heat melts the glue and makes things right.
A few 1.5mm hex driver

I don`t know about the USmarket but I`m sure google will show you many results with shops to see the availability of parts.
You can use this site as a reference to the parts and part numbers. Then google the part number you`re interested.

Spiros
Old 01-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Jimi2f

Andy,
If your in the States try: helidirect.com they are local to me so I call in and then go pickup. They carry all the BOL stock parts and lots of Xtreme upgrades of which I also recomment the extended shaft upgrade and some hard blades. Also the Esky E 500 is the same as a BOL just with a different fuselage. Then you can fly outside.
Jimi
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Ductape009

Thanks for the help and recomendations guys, here is a list of the things I ordered up today. Still want a spare battery, heatsink and flybar but they were out of stock.

1 x Xtreme Gear for Inner Shaft - Big Lama (EBL009)
1 x Xtreme Extended Inner Shaft +15mm - Big Lama (EBL001)
1 x Xtreme Spare Parts (For Tail Boom Kit EBL012) (EBL012-B)
1 x Xtreme Outer Shaft and Gear Set - Big Lama (EBL008)
1 x Xtreme Main Blade-Upper (BLACK) - Big Lama (EBL005-K)
1 x Xtreme Main Blade-Lower (BLACK) - Big Lama (EBL006-K)
1 x Xtreme Gear for Outer Shaft - Big Lama (EBL008-P)

Now the waiting game begins, gotta love USPS.

-Andy

Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Jimi2f

Andy,
Another place to get BOL parts located on the West Coast and fast shipper is Boomtownhobbies at: http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Esk_B...ades_s/118.htm
They do have the Xtreme battery for the BOL in stock. Also I nstalled superskids 400 from superskids.com and installed a plactic deck under the skids covered it with heavy duty velcro and now I can mount any size battery to the bottom of the plate and move it forward more for better forward travel. I use the Turnigy 1000mah 25-35c or the Lightnig Power 1000mah 30c. The Turnigy's I got from HobbyKing.com 3 for $20 US. The only thing with Hobby King is they take 2 weeks to get to me on the East Coast. One last thing is I don't trust the Esky stock motors so I use RTF's Brushless Kit on 3 of my BOL'S and Xtreme's Upgraded brushed 380BL ball bearing motors(much cheaper and easyier to install than the brushless) Most of the mods (with the exception of the battery mount I got from reading the first 200 posts on this list. A lot of knowlage here on this list and I thank those that came before me. Thought I'd pass this on now so if you wanted to do more upgrades you could do them now. Even tho it's more work I do my upgrades one at a time just in case one of them degraddes performance it's easier to troubleshoot.
Jimi
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
rhodesengr

Questions about Xteme canopy upgrade. If I want to use the Xtreme canopy upgrade, what other parts do I need: tail boom kit? landing skid? tail boom? tail boom fins? Graphite frame? Don't really want to gut the whole thing. Was thinking about maybe just the canopy and the tail.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM
rhodesengr

Rattles on forward elevator. Just getting used to my Big Lama. I notice that when i give it forward elevator, I hear a rattling sound. Is this known situation and is there a cure.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 AM
kiwigeoff

Hi Geoff!

Been having a blast with collective pitch and don't miss my BOL at all!

I sold it on Ebay nearly 2 years ago to a grandfather who wanted to spoil his grand son.

I have to imagine that within weeks it was in the trash bin but it was a great learning platform!

You will see in my sig line what I have now and I hope all is well in YOUR world!

b

PS What in the hell brings you to South Korea??

When you are bored > [link=http://www.youtube.com/user/b4566bb?feature=mhee]Master Helicopter Pilot esq.[/link]
Guys,

I work in the Oil &Gas engineering /fabrication industry so get to move around abit - that explains the move out to Asia again.

The Brushless BOL flew well, 3 Lipos in the first calm afternoon here.

The brushed BOLwould not gainheight. Checked voltages, mechanical movement etc are allOk.Changed out both motorsfor new ones exmyparts bin - still no altitude. Iam thinking the 3/1 is not outputting current. Iseem to remember things got really hotthe last few days flying in Texas last year and Isuspected overtemp issues have cookedthepower transistors. Can't seem to find any 3/1on any of all the normal suppliers.- anybodyseen any? Idid a trawl of all the USAsites, HongKong site etc tono luck. May have to go brushless on that too $$$

Ihave been crashing theTX450 on Clearview , so not yet ready tofly the HK450 yet, its all trimmed out andthe DX7 is programmed, but the Clearview proves Icannot fly it.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:01 AM
aircrash

Xtreme canopy tail boom conversion -needed parts:
Tail boom kit
Canopy
Skids/battery mount kit
In simple words the whole thing. Except if you do a mod and use the stock skids/battery mount and/or doa mod and use a 300 -450 class canopy.

Rattling during FF flight.
Check the swahplate for any slop. Check for wobble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.