Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats up with Sierra Precision?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats up with Sierra Precision?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with Sierra Precision?

I know Darrell was involved in a serious accident some months ago. I've called and emailed their office several times trying to find out the status of a small milling job that Darrell promised he would finish on a landing gear part for my Mig 29. I sent him the parts to copy 5 or 6 months ago and still have not heard from him or anyone at his office. No one answers phone calls or emails. I've probably left a dozen messages over the last several months. Is he still in business? Is he the only one who does this work there? Any info is appreciated.

Rob Puetz
F15driver
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Whats up with Sierra Precision?

I haven't delt with Darrel in a number of years but when I did, it was pretty much as you describe. Good work when he did it but in the end, not worth the frustration. If I was you, I would look elsewhere to get your gear work.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

I gotta say.. i heard lots of good things, and didn't see much bad about him.. till after my experience. I bought a set of gear and scale wheels for a FW-190 from him. one of the main gear fell apart after 4 or 5 cycles of the gear by hand before it was even installed. 4 1/2 months after asking for the correct hardware (they used a standard machine nut, and cut the bolt down so much only 1/2 of a thread was in the nut) i received the replacement hardware (new bolt and a lock-nut like the other main gear had). Well upon putting the gear together, the new hardware would hit the main gear strut when you tried to retract the gear. After 3 1/2 to 4 months of calling and emailed 3 to 4 times a week, my questions and eventual requests to have a replacement gear sent to me went unanswered. Needless to say, after spending over $1000 on the gear and then having to grind a 1/4" slot in one of the main gear struts, i will probably never buy anything from him again, and if I have to, i will be sure to inspect them for proper operation and assembly immediately after receiving them..

Great product (when its done correctly). Horrible customer service.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is disappointing to hear....
Old 01-06-2012, 09:41 PM
F15driver

CraigB,

I would look elsewhere to get the work done but Darrell has the parts that I sent him from which to make the replacements. Without their return I don't have what is needed for someone else to mill the part. What would really be helpful is if someone who lived nearby could visit his office and request the parts return. I can't begin to express my frustration when customer service is this bad. Even the Chinese are better than this.

Rob Puetz
F15driver
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
Ro

I have had my share of poor customer service over the last year or so, I can understand how you feel for sure but sounds like he is in bad shape. All you can do is be cautious where you spend your money next time, legally you can do more if it warrants it. I can guarantee you this, I have no interest in buying anything this year.

Contact Al's Hobbies. I'm sure they can help or point you in the correct direction. good folks over there dude.

cheers,
ro
Old 01-07-2012, 07:00 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Life is strange, isn't it? .... I haven't had but great service and quick response from Darrell for many years (last time was not more than a month ago).

Jack
Old 01-07-2012, 07:11 AM
F15driver

Jack,

Would like to hear your formula for success with Darrel. I have been extremely civil with Darrell for the last several months but frankly I'm finally out of patience with him. Only in the last week have my emails and phone messages to him expressed my frustration. I've still been civil, but I'm angry with him for not even giving me the courtesy of a return phone call or email when all I want is my parts back. I will find another solution to the milling work elsewhere when and if I ever get my parts back that I sent him.

Rob
Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Rob, I have no idea. It must be a matter of luck, I guess.
I do not have any friendship or business relation with Darrell, btw.
I just thought it was fair and decent to mention my experience.

But, I am 100% with you !!! It is frustrating not to get the customer attention that we deserve.
I hope he sees this thread and understands the prevailing perception regarding his service.

Jack
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Same story different month and customers. Darrel's customer service SUCKS !!!!! Period end of story. I have told my story several times but here it is again short version. I work in the UAV industry we were looking for a supplier and couldn't even get them to answer emails or the phone. Bob Walker the previous owner of Robart got the business and made our parts in a week after trying to get in touch with Serria to buy more of what we had already purchased from them early in project with them knowing that there would be a follow on order after the prototype was built and flown.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:48 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Its really ashame to hear this...still! I've had a couple sets of his gear (sourced elsewhere) and it's been top notch, but dealing with him was very difficult. I waited 2 years for a retracting tailwheel that he said 'was almost complete and on the shelf'....it never did materialize and i gave up asking. My wife and I often go to a tiny Italian restaurant close to us and the owner is always there. It's amazing how well he treats his customers and the hours he puts in. He is always there and they always seem to be open, even on holidays. He told us once when we complimented his devotion, he said, "one should be in business to do business." I always remember that and am happy when I can support his efforts. Plus the food is really good.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

In the same boat , ordered landing gear have not recieved it . Called three times last week no return call. Maybe he is a ass hole
Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to hear this stuff happen. First it was GNM that gave me a similar experience that Rob is dealing with.... Now it's Sierra P. [&o]
Old 01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

I had been warned about variable service but Darrell came through for me when I needed it. He got my mibo re-fits done and overnighted in time for a weekend deadline.
Dave
Old 01-07-2012, 05:58 PM
ianober

This is nothing new. The customer service is horrible from Sierra. I contacted them about a month ago for a set of landing gear for my Ziroli P-40. I got a quick response saying they had a set in stock ready to ship and they just needed my address to figure shipping. So I emailed back the address and asked them to let me know what email address to PayPal the money too. Haven't heard from them since. This is the easiest sale they could have had, product sitting on the shelf and just needs to be boxed and shipped, FREE MONEY!!!!!! And they can't even do that. Not sure what the story is but either he is still recovering from his accident or he is still running Sierra as a side business.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hear about SP... but if you are looking to have custom (one-off) work done, you can shoot me a PM. I may be taking a "Day Job" again... but I should have time to do non-production stuff. (Depending on how fast you need it done)
Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ianober

This is nothing new. The customer service is horrible from Sierra. I contacted them about a month ago for a set of landing gear for my Ziroli P-40. I got a quick response saying they had a set in stock ready to ship and they just needed my address to figure shipping. So I emailed back the address and asked them to let me know what email address to PayPal the money too. Haven't heard from them since. This is the easiest sale they could have had, product sitting on the shelf and just needs to be boxed and shipped, FREE MONEY!!!!!! And they can't even do that. Not sure what the story is but either he is still recovering from his accident or he is still running Sierra as a side business.
Ian,
Unfortunately this isn't a "new" thing that has just started happening since his accident. My landing gear Fiasco started back in November of 2010!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:19 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

And what makes Sierra any different than Robart when trying to get someone on the phone, email or a call back?....................Absolutely nothing.

Marty
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys, I understand your frustration.
I normally do not promote any products other than my own.
Here is a machine shop I deal with. both the owner (David) and one other guy (Bill) that works there are modelers.
They already make custom wheels and tires for RC along with heli parts. They can make just about anything and their machining skills are Top Notch. here is the web address,
www.davincimachining.com
They are located in the St. Petersburg Fl. area.
The owners name is David Padovan with Bill Bagwell the Process Engineer.
They are always there and will return a phone call.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

It's obvious that Sierra Precision doesn't give a damn about their customers so the best way to handle them is DON'T GIVE THEM ANY BUSINESS!  READ THE POSTS PEOPLE.  With that many bad reports find alternate sources for this kind of work.  I can't imagine treating my clients this way and surviving.  How dare them have the audacity to purposely ignore and disrespect potential business the way dedicated people above have testified to.  JUST SAY NO!  Forget them.  Fate will deal with their ways once we all quit using them. 
Rob, there has to be an RC person near 130th St in Brunswick Ohio that can drop by, grab your box of parts and pay him to mail them back to you.  With as many members there are on RCU, SP is not the only company doing machine work for RC clients and there are posts above for alternate companies.  I'll find you someone to get your parts if you want.  I'll send them with a violin case to pick them up.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Molnar142
My Feedback: (38)

I've met them a couple times at the the Toledo show. They seemed reputable. Has anyone emailed a link to this thread to them? Lots of good 'voice of the customer' data here that they could chose to act on or ignore.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Richard-RCU
My Feedback: (21)

I am at a lose to understand everyone jumping on Darrell. I called him 5 weeks ago for some retracts, wheels and tires. He shipped them within 7 days which I thought was acceptable time. I have dealt with him on numerous projects (6 to be exact) and have never experienced anything like the posts described here. I know he is recovering from a horrific motorcycle accident and is facing several reconstructive surgeries. Maybe one of those surgeries incapacitated him and that just might take precedent over our "toy" airplane stuff.....just sayin'

Richard
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Richard-RCU

I am at a lose to understand everyone jumping on Darrell. I called him 5 weeks ago for some retracts, wheels and tires. He shipped them within 7 days which I thought was acceptable time. I have dealt with him on numerous projects (6 to be exact) and have never experienced anything like the posts described here. I know he is recovering from a horrific motorcycle accident and is facing several reconstructive surgeries. Maybe one of those surgeries incapacitated him and that just might take precedent over our ''toy'' airplane stuff.....just sayin'

Richard
_

if you would of read this thread entirely you would of realized that many of is have been having problems long before his accident. For instance mine started back in 2010. It seems that as long as you get what you order and dont have problems darrell has no problems giing customer service. But for those of us with problems or special jobs the service is absolute crap.

So just bc youhave a few good experiences we are all to blame for our bad experiences. Whatever man, i guess your just better than the rest of us. Imo. If you cant run your business due to some personal issues then you need to make that known before hand
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
ianober

I am completely sympathetic to any medical issues Darrel could be experiencing. I will not hold that against him at all. I would hope that if that was the case then he would have someone post something or he would post something to state the current situation as not to get his customers in a frenzy. Actually Darrel just emailed me taody apologizing for the delay in response and got me the info I requested sometime ago. Maybe he read this and maybe he didn't but I just hope he is ok. If he is experiencing medical issues from the accident then I wish him the best in recovery and I totally understand the delay in response, but he shouldn't be afraid to let everyone know, I am sure he will get nothing but support and understanding from all of us.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:35 AM
F15driver

Ian,

I agree your post. It would take Darrell all of 2 minutes to post on this forum where he is in the business world, i.e. in the game or out. It would appear he is selectively receiving phone calls and emails in order to avoid saying " its not done or I can't (won't) or whatever."

Rob
F15driver

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.