Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 AM
nitro-rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

T-bone racing.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:18 AM
paba60
My Feedback: (96)

I was able to fit a 1/16 Traxxas Wheelie bar to my XS without much hassle...
Old 01-05-2012, 07:27 AM
DiegoYB

Hey all, its my first post but believe it or not ive read this thread since day one. You all have great ideas and are nice Savage lovers, thats why i joined. I'm from Chile and I'm expecting my Savage XS to arrive from ebay on Tuesday and the batteries from hobbyking sometime next week. I ordered four 2S lipo packs ( 2x http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18605 and 2xhttp://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15519 ) and the Accurel 6 charger. Well, i own a Savage X 4.6 so this is not my first RC and im expecting to fix alot of the damage i WILL cause to the XS haha :P . This was just a little into guys, ill post bashing videos from Chile. BTW: for the ZIPPY flightmax lipo's i ordered form ebay some 90º 4mm bullets, will that work? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
gdiddy13

What part # are you guys using to shim the A-arms and hubs?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM
nitro-rob

I don't think anyone is shimming the A-arms and hubs. 

The 90 degree connector question has been discussed. I don't know the answer but its back around the first month or so people received their trucks in sept/oct or so.

I have mine running now with a new slipper and the HR cups.  The truck is cleaned up and looks like new.  I am amazed at how well things have held up after three months of pretty hard use and many crashes.  I need to install the hardened diff cups as well yet.  I also picked up a set of 2.8  road rage II tires black chrome rims for the summer.

The local shop had three out of four of the trucks they sold blow ESCs.

The truck has been out for five months now. Parts are still not available.  HPI has to get their act together with parts availability.  The bad ESC and lack of parts are starting to make it look like they dropped the ball with this release.  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM
gdiddy13

They are, there's too much play in there. I'm just trying to figure out which of the washers fit?  It's either 87540, Z224 or  Z685? I'm just not smart enough to figure it out and I don't have any laying around.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 PM
martin34

I have shimmed both my front and rear lower arms.There is so much play on my one that i doubt it would go in a straight line.I dont have a part number for the shims as i just used washers i had laying around.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:39 AM
Blitz813

So... I'm no longer impressed with the HR cups. After a few short runs, say 15 minutes, the cups on the back side of tranny sheared right in half. The stock ones didn't even do that after like 20 runs,which included some 3s action. The HR cups never even seen 3s.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
paba60
My Feedback: (96)

As Rob said...I posted pics and details of the 90 bullets I used...Purchased from TQ Racing. They are quite nice and work well.

I'm with you Rob....Can't believe that HPI still doesn't have support parts available...Maybe they just released to many new trucks in '11...

What a bummer about the HR cups...I think that's first issue I have heard of....most folks seem happy with them.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
nitro-rob

Thats the second time I've heard of the HR cups breaking.  I just installed a set but havn't run the truck yet.  The weather is beautiful here, I am going to go for a drive today.  Probably the HP, though.

I made a power supply from a computer ATX power supply for my Hitec X4 charger and it works very well. It was the first time I've used the charger since buying it a few weeks ago and I was surprised to find it is four B6 chargers in a nice case with high quality fans and connectors.  I assume the B6 chargers are a clone of this one and its not the other way around.  I didn't have to learn the charger because the menus and parameter selection procedures are identical to my turnigy and titan B6.  
Old 01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: paba60

As Rob said...I posted pics and details of the 90 bullets I used...Purchased from TQ Racing. They are quite nice and work well.

I'm with you Rob....Can't believe that HPI still doesn't have support parts available...Maybe they just released to many new trucks in '11...

What a bummer about the HR cups...I think that's first issue I have heard of....most folks seem happy with them.
I want some upgrade parts like the turnbuckle kit. I figured the parts availability would come a little bit later but its January. The local hobby shop returned an ESC and they said it was on backorder. I received some warranty parts the other day. The package included a rear drive cup and slipper clutch spring and the driveshaft and slipper pad were backordered.

So the message to any new person getting into RC who may be looking at this truck up to this time: The chassis is solid other than the center cups and the electronics are a disaster.

Luckily both are easily fixable by HPI. The e-firestorm had the same cup problem and they fixed it. I think the ESC has a manufacturing defect and not a design flaw and I am certain they will work this out since since the failure rate is not sustainable. My buddy that had his blow up in two minutes put a qbase and SCT motor in it and he is very happy.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Just wanted to say I have well over 10 packs on my HR center cups and about 8 packs on my rear HR diff cups and no issues so far.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
nitro-rob

Heretic, I will be in london tomorrow with my HP.....PM me if you are around and want to burn some packs.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM
hereticgod

I have to work unfortunately, maybe next time.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Darksins

Hey I always google this thread for advice when i need it and it has never failed me so i finally joined it and i do have a question?

On my savage xs i ran a couple packs thru my xs and the slipper nut loosened a couple of times so i tightend it and then it slipped off again so i ttok apart my transmission and the spacer on the other side of the slipper hub melted? question is has anyone had this problem before and was there a alternate fix to it?..or is the stock part sufficient enough?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

What tires are you guys runnin on your xs? Im getting my xs soon, but i've been playing with my buddys. The stock tires dont seem to have the best traction, especially on pavement. I had dirt bonez on my nitro savage and they were great but wore down quickly. what do you guys recommend? i would mostly be running in short grass and pavement, but i dont want them to wear too quickly.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Darksins

The stock ones do not have much grip to them..i know a few that are running the badlands i am going to get those or either the trenchers they are both from pro-line and the traction is nice!..the quality from pro-line is very good and the tread will last
Old 01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
cumminspower5.9

Yea I love the Pro-Line quality. Ill take a look at them. I hear badlands are nasty. Ill have to get a set of dish rims too. Im not worried about looks of rims, just something to mount a tire on. I've found dish rims to be more durable anyway since its one solid piece. Thanks man.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 AM
hereticgod

I am running badlands and also dirt works the badlands have crazy traction on every surface. The dirt works are better then stock but not as grippy as the badlands.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Darksins

yea no problem! i love the badlands and the way they look!..i am going to get me a set.. just using the crap out of the stock ones now..until there done getting a new set ..oh also..if you are going to get a set of tires quick first thing you want to do is also invest in a good servo the stock one from hpi is not the best..its torque is about 30oz not strong enough especially if you upgrade to a bigger tire i have a Hitec HS-5645Mg servo its strong enough and you can get a better grip with the steering on top of better tires..the servo cost about $55 well worth it..the torque is 143oz at 4.8v and 164oz at 6.0v..strong enough servo for the size of the XS IMO
Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

it uses a standard 1/10 scale servo right? i am planning on getting a new servo but not one for $55.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Darksins

yes it does..where do you get your servos from?..it also uses 1/10 scale shocks!..i do need to find some other servos for my other vehicles..but they are all too expensive..i do like quality but if you know some places online please let me kno!..all Hobbyking and hobby partz are always sold out. so for the size of the truck and the amount of torque needed i just went with the one that i have.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
cumminspower5.9

i usually go to towerhobbies.com. they have everything at a petty decent price.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
bryman021

Hey all, I've had my xs for about 2 weeks now and so far so good! its all stock expect for some geolander tires. Running 2S 5000mah 30-40c lipos. Highest motor and esc temps I've recorded are 120F motor and 105F esc, temps outside in the 40's. Pinion was loctited from factory, put some blue loctite on the slipper nut and marked it with some nail polish to see if it backs off. Hasn't moved yet. Also stock center drive cups show very little wear after 10 packs. Overall I am happy as I expected lots of issues from what I've read on this and other threads.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
bryman021

Has anyone put the hpi sway bars on their xs? i noticed the truck likes to dart from side to side a lot, especially on pavement. Wondered if they would help the steering much?

Also I've bashed mine pretty hard and so far haven't had any tie rods pop off!

I'm really liking this truck, and since I've tore it down a few times already, working on it isn't that bad either. Sure its a lot of time but everything appears pretty solid! once hpi gets all the electics issues worked out this truck is gonna be bulletproof(not too far from it now, imho)!

Hopefully I havent jnxed myself!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.