Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Phase 3 Phoenix II 2meter EP glider

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Phase 3 Phoenix II 2meter EP glider

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phase 3 Phoenix II 2meter EP glider

I've started looking at the radian Pro as a possible new stable to my collection. I then see this new Phoenix II [link]http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php/phase-3-phoenix-ii-epp-glider-kit-w-bl-motor-and-prop.html[/link] and I think I have some choices now. I realize the phoenix will not have all the mixing functionality that the Radian will have. Im just wondering if the price difference is with it being that I'll be using my DX7 with either plane. I do have other Phase III models that I continue to fly today so i know they aren't junk. Has anyone had a chance to fly a Phoenix II yet. I'm looking for a basic ep glider that will take a little hanger rash that my crunchies wont survive in my RV trailer. I am familiar with EPP but not Z-foam which is what the Radian is composed of.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Phase 3 Phoenix II 2meter EP glider

I have not seen one but I find the plane interesting.   I also like that HobbyPeople has launched ibind for Airtronics radio users just as Horizon Hobby has Bind N Fly for Spektrum/JR users.

I look forward to hearing flight reports.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:00 AM
aeajr

Did you buy the Phoenix II?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Gearhead8

I did, and I am enjoying the heck out of it. So did a buddy of mine. Here is a bit of video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_Hp2AV-cI
Old 05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Gearhead8

Here is another Phoenix II video to check out! This time on the slope. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k_J5sn7gQ
Old 07-30-2011, 04:14 AM
steveacee

Any idea as to what camera he was using? I just bought the Phoenix II, and want to get a camera for it. I was thinking about the Flyone system.

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM
idoxlr8-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Where are you guys balancing this beast? At 80 mm back, the thing does like 10 foot loops and no fun to handle. Today, I ran a 170 gram battery in place of the 110 gram battery and had a big metal washer over the servo area. It calmed down a lot. Still not what I'd call a floater.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80648.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1708188  
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM
steveacee

She's tail heavy to start with, so keeping your battery as far forward as possible will be a big help. The CG is located roughly ahead of the spar (Do a CG test by balancing the plane on your fingertips). I had to throw some extra weight in the nose (little compartment just behind the motor, square shaped) to keep mine at a comfortable "level". That being said, she *really wants to climb* (I can't emphasize that enough) under full power, so you may want to try and keep the nose down a bit on launch and climb.

I'm also using the stock battery. I've tried larger LiPo's but didn't notice much difference, the plane still climbs like a bat out of hell.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
idoxlr8-RCU

Thanks, still adding weight to nose. Not what I'd call a smooth flyer. Getting 15-20 minutes of crazy flights - only using 50% of included battery. I bet better servos would help. But then I'd need a better glider.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM
steveacee

No, it isn't. Had mine out earlier today and had a few moments that made me sweat. It isn't a glider for beginners as it isn't very forgiving. You make a mistake too close to the ground and you're going in (and it won't be pretty).

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Gearhead8

PPPPFFFTT! THIS GLIDER ROCKS! and it is very forgiving! I have been flying mine since they were released. I have also trained people how to fly with this glider too. I use batteries ranging from the stock battery up to 2200mah batteries. I added a 1/4 ounce lead weight behind the motor to balance the glider. Depending on how much wind is blowing, I will use a lighter or heavier battery pack. The motor does have up thrust so you have to remember to give a little down when you get on the power, but as you climb in speed you can relieve the elevator. Motor off the, airplane glides forever.

I balance my Phoenix on the black line in this photo

everytime I change batteries or when wind conditions change I will change balance of the aircraft.

Here are a few videos of my experiences with the Phoenix II.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM_Hp...3&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1k_J...2&feature=plcp
Old 01-08-2012, 10:44 AM
idoxlr8-RCU

Yes, balanced at black lines, 80mm from LE. I think it flies better w/2200 170 gram lipo instead of the 1500 110 gram lipo. Washer weight behind motor does smooth glide out even better. I have had 30 minute flights off plane. Still not a beginners plane. Does have a nasty tuck under from time to time, so always have to watch for it. Gliders we had in the 70's, you could set your TX on the ground for 10 minutes at a time and they'd just circle the field. Guess I have to remember that this is a $109 ibind with a aero sport TX added. Fun for $150 total for sure, but then again, I have servos that costs that.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58265.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1711458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28288.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1711459  
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
idoxlr8-RCU

Thinking of removing the washer and installing a shelf there with esc mounted to it. Then I could move battery more forward also.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
juggler-3310

What is the 1080P camera that was used to make the video that was posted? And where can we buy it? Great clarity and footage.

juggler
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
VKGT

My only complaint with the Phoenix II is that the motor is underpowered but that's it. Great glider!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: idoxlr8-RCU

Yes, balanced at black lines, 80mm from LE. I think it flies better w/2200 170 gram lipo instead of the 1500 110 gram lipo. Washer weight behind motor does smooth glide out even better. I have had 30 minute flights off plane. Still not a beginners plane. Does have a nasty tuck under from time to time, so always have to watch for it. Gliders we had in the 70's, you could set your TX on the ground for 10 minutes at a time and they'd just circle the field. Guess I have to remember that this is a $109 ibind with a aero sport TX added. Fun for $150 total for sure, but then again, I have servos that costs that.
Yes R/E or RES gliders with those high dihedral wings are incredibly stable. Gliders like the Gentle Lady or theAVA fly like this. The Parkzone Radian would be another example.

Of course,this is not that kind of glider. This one has flatter wings and ailerons, more similar to the Easy Glider or the Radian Pro in that respect. Yet many would say it is stable enough to be a trainer. I know I trained a lot of pilots on the Easy Glider.

ORIGINAL: VKGT

My only complaint with the Phoenix II is that the motor is underpowered but that's it. Great glider!
I always find it interesting to hear people's evaluation of products.An earlier post described the climb as," like a bat out of hell". And you feel it is under powered.

I guess it is all a matter of what your expectationsare when you buy something like this. But overall people seem to like the Phoenix II. That is good to know.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 AM
idoxlr8-RCU

For what this is, it rocks. Out of box and flying in 30 minutes, who doesn't love that. With flexi-foam-everything, it's almost overpowered! Excellent bang for the buck. Once I get a handle on the pitchy-ness, it'll be a great glider.