DLE-20 fried a piston...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: DLE-20 fried a piston...

It's called typos, get over it.

As I said, there's only one reason to cook off an engine and that reason is the way the owner ran it. No if, ands, or buts. If anyone wants to challenge that assertion they can join me in the shop and we can try to burn up an engine or a hundred or so.

Either too hot, to lean, too little oil, no oil, too much prop and too little cooling while too lean, or any combination of those. Of course there's always the guy that wants to go out with a brand new engine and try to fly it like he stole it because it has a warranty. Doesn't mean they are real bright but a lot of people do it and then turn around and try to blame the manufacturer. Hate to say it, but even the Chinese are smarter than that. They can read an engine too

The person that tries to completely enclose a small gasser inside a tight cowl is well noted for killing engines during infancy. Both theirs and the engine's.

I'm still in RC forums, just at sites where we can kick each other's butts and have raw unadulterated fun without fear of offending the silk panty group. We're not slaves to an advertiser. Today's posts were just aberrations.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Pat,

I see you are trying your best to enjoy yourself.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Just to stir the sensitivity pot.

There is only one reason to stick a piston and that ownership lies with the person running the engine. Period. Everyone else dancing around your sensivitity with political correctness is doing you a disservice by providing a means for you to avoid responsibility.

Yea, cooking off an engine and then making numerous attempts to avoid responsibility really was enough to get me to post again. Don't get your hopes up and think there will be much of that happening.
welcome back!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An aberration is something that deviates from the normal way. Aberration may refer to: In optics and physics: Optical aberration, an imperfection in image ...
Yup....Had to look that word up
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Jim! You ought to visit my place once in awhile, take your shoes off, let down the hair, and rest a spell. Lotta fun and frequently (generally?) irreverant. Never any mercy given with none asked for. You can come back here refreshed, knowing you were able to say pretty much anything you wanted to say and have as much fun as you wanted for a little while. The site owners like it that way.

I just made today "special", an aberration if you will, something departing my normal avoidance, after reading this thread from top to bottom. I read the new stuff over here all the time but avoid getting involved. The gas engine thread has changed personality significantly from where it was only a couple years ago. Night and day beween when it first started and where it is now. For the most part I don't belong in this one anymore and prefer to be with a little more advanced group. No slam in that towards anyone, it's just a fact of life.

I'm more a big engine, big plane guy, and prefer to assist in the progression from smaller to larger, basic to advanced. This has become a small engine forum now and looks to pretty much be staying that way. There's a place for everyone, small to large in this hobby, and this is a good starting point for new people.

v/r,
Pat
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
rede2fly
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep will have to agree. this is user induced. unless something else went wrong inside the motor that the op has not told about. its really not hard to figure out. i do own one of these little motors dle 20 in a 1/4 scale cub. using sthil ultra from first flip and swings a 18x6 falkon carbon prop 8500 r's @ w.o.t. you really have to try and burn one up, but it can be done as seen in this thread.. truth hurts but thats the way it is..... but easy fix, and cheep too..good luck on next try
Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Get your $300.00 out of the piggy bank and that will fix that motor.  Engines are metal rubbing against metal.  Sometimes the metal wins and sometimes the metal loses.   Get a new DLE.  They are a proven success in this hobby. Are they 100% perfect?  No, and no engine is.   Yours is not worth dumping good money into.  Maybe you got a bad one or maybe your didn't.  There is no pursuit to this thread by inserting guesses, suupositions, or maybes for any of us that didn't witness the complete operation of this engine from day one up to it's demise.  Only you know what you did or didn't do to this engine. 

And while I am on my pre-coffee morning rant, in my never to be humble opinion, those are NOT typos, those are a demonstration of a  total and blatant lack of education.  Can I borrow someones Kevlar vest now?  I'm going to need it!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Tell me what metal is rubbing against metal in a proper two stroke...The ball bearings ? The piston rides on a film of oil, not the cylinder wall...Nothing else in there....No engine would last with metal rubbing against metal..That's what killed the DLE 20....
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

It's time for the "Klash of the ego's"

Hey, who has a link to the smiley face eating Popcorn?!

Chris923
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

No "klash" just FACTS...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And them's the facts, folks! Hey Pat, nice to see your ornery ole backside in here. Teach them children well - oops I think someone made a song 'bout that. Take care - LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I agree, Nice to hear from TOM!

Chris923
Old 01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
FLYING SOLO

check your exhaust flow.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: chris923

Hey, who has a link to the smiley face eating Popcorn?!

Chris923
This one?

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
captinjohn

Deleted
Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
captinjohn

[quote]ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Go read more of the OP postings by clicking on his user name....that may shed more lite on the subject.........
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey that's the TOM of fame on the DLE thread?   Wow. I like him, no BS, and no PC!  I like that. I hate PC, tell it like it is, screw someone feelings, if they need a dope slap cause they did something stupid, give em a dope slap!

HI!