Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

The Smasher Plans

Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Smasher Plans

Over the years I have had a number of requests for plans for the Smasher. I have occasionally given them out. So there are variants of the Smasher out there. I got a request from Australia the other day and I sent him the drawings. Since I was doing that I have decided to go ahead and publish the drawings since Quickies are no big secret anyway.

You will notice that there are no copyright notices on these drawings. If you feel like it, credit me by calling your plane a Smasher or some variant of the name. Even if it is a funny one. I was inspired for this name by Dub Jett who called a plane "Wrecked Um" ... No kidding ... Plus my goal was to Smash the competition ...

The fuselage drawings include the locations to put 1/4" dowels to make a jig that will bend the balsa perfectly into shape. The fuselage is built upside down on the jig. I still have the jig and can re-post the methods on building the balsa fuselage.

I can't post attached files here on RCU. You will have to go to [link]http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=1010[/link] to get them.

I will answer questions here or on RCPRO. Questions on the forums instead of email unless they need to be private for the benefit of all.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Smasher Plans

Don, thanks! I went to the site, downloaded the dwg files, and AutoCAD LT 2012 won't open them.

I haven't tried the DXF or the PDF files. Did you create them in AutoCAD, or a compatible program? I may have an older version of AutoCAD available to try with.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
DonStegall

I saved them in DXF and DWG from Visio 2010. I was able to open them in AutoCAD 2000 and since it is really old I thought the files would work in most CAD programs.

I did get a dialog box with options to choose when I opened DWG files, but not DXF files. Maybe I need to save the files from AutoCAD and post those.

Thanks for trying and posting.

If you open the PDF files in Chrome, you need to save them to be able to open them in Acrobat Reader.

Please post any issues you have. One thing I thought about is that you may get presented with a login screen from RCPRO when you click on the link. If that is happening, please let me know, as I will need to fix that. I just noticed it the other day when I tried to post a link on Facebook. I think I made the forum software present the login so that people would register. If it is happening, login as Guest, then click on the link above again to get to the plans.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 AM
zedad71

Don, first off thanks for making this available,
I did get the log in screen when I clicked the link. However did as suggested and went on the site as guest ( though I have a log in, cant recall it so I sent a log in request,, sigh)
anyway, went to the thread and when I click on a link, it tells me page not found,,

maybe because of being logged in as guest?
I know some forum software wont let you access attachments when you are a guest, I am wondering if this is happaneing here.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 AM
DonStegall

Please try the DXF and DWG files now.

I had a server setting wrong and it wasn't serving them up properly.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 AM
fizzwater2

I just got a "file not valid" message and nothing opened.

I'll try the DXF and/or PDF a little later today, and let you know.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Kevin Matney

Don send it to me ina email and I will give it to you a format they can open
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM
DonStegall

Thanks Kevin.

I thought I had served up DXF and DWG files before and I realized it was on the [link=http://www.Quickie500.com]www.Quickie500.com[/link] site. But I had not enabled it for all of the sites on the server. I changed the MIME type for all of the sites, so results may vary once again, but hopefully it will work, and when you get the files ready, you can post them or send them to me.

I created [link=http://www.Quickie500.com]www.Quickie500.com[/link] back in early 2009 and it contains the plans for the Katz Meow, Seeker, Spickler Quickie 500, and Quickest 500. I already had the plans prepped for the Dominator 500 so adding them would be trivial.

I updated [link=http://www.Quickie500.com]www.Quickie500.com[/link] to use ASP.NET 4.0 so it works in modern browsers. It had issues with Chrome and Safari (and probably Firefox). I may relocate it since right now all it has is basically the plans but keep the main link, so the plans page links may change.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 AM
fizzwater2

Don - tried downloading the plans again, and the PDF, DXF, and DWG files all opened for me. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:05 AM
DonStegall

I'm glad I was able to get it resolved and you were able to get the plans.

Did anyone find them interesting? Anyone going to use them or modify them and use them?

Would anyone like to see more and better pictures of the jig?

As I was getting stuff ready to send to Kevin Matney I came across a box with the jig and some fuselages in various states of completion and I can show how to build the fuselage without it taking much of my time. I even have a set of fuselage sides cut and I could quickly do a video on how to make the fuselage this weekend if anyone is interested. There is a technique of drilling 1/16" holes on the thrustline is a couple of places to get the alignment oerfect Once you see it, it becomes clear and you can then build a fuselage in very little time.

On the wood Smasher, you do have to hog out the fuselage sides where the elevator horns are. because this was intended as a glass fuselage, I was not focused on making it easy for that purpose. It is a minor inconvenience. You just don't sheet the last 6-8 inches of the bottom, the you use a 1/4" Dremel drum and thin out the sides enough for the horns and push rods, but not so much as to weaken the structure. I could show that as well. I have a composite tail and a fuselage in the state it needs to be to be able to do a video.

The nice thing about the Smasher is that the stab saddle is at 0 degrees. You can put a bolt on V tail or conventional tail on it. If you build a V-tail you just use a center plate that is 0.75" wide from front to rear. You attach the stab panels to the plate using a jig. You then glass the center section.. You bolt the stab onto the fuselage and make a little fillet from the rear to the front to clean up the gap. But you don't have to worry about the V-tail alignment. It will be straight. Making an airfoiled tail can be done the same way, you just have to do work to get the cores overlapping the center plate.

I'm going to make a new airfoiled tail plug for the Smasher at some point and I will document the process.