Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modeler or ARfer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
modeler
69.72%
Arfer
30.28%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Modeler or ARfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Modeler or ARfer?

ORIGINAL: KC36330

some congratulations are in order for this thread making RCU front page, now all the riffraff that really haven't a clue about what the true meaning behind this tread is, will be commenting!!! where's the pattern guys?
Ha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Thar be trolls here!

Bob
Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

boy you can sure tell when these threads hit the front page!!

EDIT: Bob beat me to it!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

Are you a modeler or an ARFer? I'm a modeler by profession and by choice in our hobby and always will be. You are a modeler if you have built a few planes from plans, scratch, or from a kit. ARF's are not kits no matter what some people try to imply. Sorry flame suit on.
I used to consider myself a modeler as I have been building kits from the age of 8 and now going on 69. Over the past few years I have put together quite a few ARF's and then I realized that I was no longer a builder, but had become an ASSEMBLER. []

I know that I will assemble a few more ARF's, but am actually considering a kit from Balsa USA. I have always liked the SPAD and I am considering the kit. I am sure that I would enjoy BUILDING that kit.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:11 PM
zacharyR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the option to select a RTF / swap modler ?????????
Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
ackroyd
My Feedback: (8)

Where's the voting button for someone who does both?

The term modelling is applicable to both.

I've never heard the same argument for plastic model kits, oooh, but he built (assembled) and Airfix kit and didn't scratch build his 1:72 scale whatever like me. Really!!!!

Sigh......, its just a hobby of grown men with grown men's toys!

As long as we continue to get new members into the hobby, does it really matter how they get their planes and helis airworthy, as long as they do and learn to fly, whether it be 1000 hour scale scratch built, a kit or a $100 ARF?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM
handyman 220
My Feedback: (54)

I am a modeler. With that said, at this point in my life, I find myself assembling arf's so I can still enjoy a hobby that requires more time than I have right now. Do I care what someone thinks when I show up at the field with an arf? NO, I'm there to relax and enjoy something that brings me great pleasure. Nor do I condemn anyone else for their choice of plane. We should all be grateful their are others that share a like interest that we can all learn from. [8D] Just my 2 cents!'s I'll get off the high horse now, didn't mean to rant. [:'(]
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can say I am a modeler and assembler as well, started 20+ yrs ago. The first 10 years I went through a lot of kit built airplanes with the learning curves and I mean alot. Now as I gained experience with building , assembling and doing a lot of scratch building in the past , I have only lost 2 planes in the past 10-12yrs due to my own ignorance/arrogance "battery failure". I do fly regularly with some high end jets as well as simple prop planes. I have assembled many of ARFS as well and learnt where alot of mistakes are made from my own arf failures. This has helped me gain experience as well when I do build my own.

My interperation of builder/ assembler.

Builder : a person who creates sub-assemblies with raw-materials then assembles the parts to create a whole complete piece .

Assembler : a person who takes prebuilt parts and fit togather to make a whole piece.

Scratch builder : someone who takes their hobby very serious and sometimes clinically unstable. LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Another worthless poll.  I build, I assemble and I fly.   To each his own!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Upnet

Ron Stahl........By the Power of Grayskull.....I render YOU.......inert!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM
smiller

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been a modeller for 30 years from rubber power to helis and jets. My first and current jet is a BVM Mig 15 that I built and fly{older built up wing kit}. I believe that arf's have saved this sport!! arfs have made it possible for those that do not have the time or ability to build to still enjoy this hobby. There are still plenty of kits and plans for those that love to build and get the satisfaction that comes with it. I can have more planes with arf's and spend the extra quality time it takes to do a precision scale model! If we still had to build every airplane from a kit with the way life and responsibility gets in the way, this hobby would be in deep decline or dead!!

just my opinion,
Scott Miller
Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
suddengustofgravity

I drive to my flying field in an automobile I did not make, wearing clothes I did not weave, and eat food I did not grow. So who really cares how I got my airplane?

Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 PM
ackroyd

+1
Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Hmmmm...it just dawned on me...I guess heli guys are not modelers at all. I mean...has anyone you know ever scratch built a heli? What about the car guys...who outnumber the airplane guys by at least 10 to one? I have never seen a scratch built R/C car either.

Oh well...

Beave [8D]

Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

im a MARFer... a Modeler almost Ready to Fly

Too funny,, you know it could be that the modeler's wife told him he was a "model Husband" and he wondered
what that was, so he looked up model and it said "a small replica of the real thing, and that causes ARF envy.

I do build and ARF. Ido fly my ARF's much more and like they were built in china !! My next build will be a Ziroli B-25.
The ARF I am working on now is a Venture Vertigo jet in EDF.

Cheers
Tim

Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
VKGT

I can't believe that I'm a Heli guy, a gasser boat guy, a sailboat guy, a scale plane guy, a sailplane and glider guy, a giant scale guy... I guess I'm not a jet guy so I'm out! ARF this thread Sorry that I didn't lay the fiberglass on my Composite ARF, oh great and giant gods of the jet building community
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Well...................I have been a Modeler for nigh onto 60 years, being as I am a mear chil' of 70 'yars' young, I gotta gets mah beauty sleep. As I plan on goin' out to the field tomarry, cuz it's sahpose ta be 50 degrees an' light winds in the mornin heah in ol' Fort Wayne, Indiana, gotta burn some kero in mah ARF Boomer Nano, then when it gets cold again I can work on mah Arf F- 16 an finish fixin mah PST Panther.

Nite Ya all....................
Old 01-09-2012, 07:04 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to scratch build paper airplanes as a kid.
Scott
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
invert0914
My Feedback: (17)

Well I just don't agree with this pole or opinion. Infact this hobby is about flying and the friendships formed and family made at the clubs and fun flys. I have included a pic of my original Andy Sheiber S2A im tinkering with, A beautiful Yellow P-47 that I didn't build but it speaks for it self. I home built 12 foot "IT". Thats what my dad and I called it when we built it 30 years ago and its still flying today. Also have a 1/3 scale Hacker Decathlon ARF!!!!!!!!! And 3 more where they came from. Does that make me a BI-Modler???? I have built my own plans and scratched a few and I bought a professionally built warbird and an Arf. IM A SINNER MODLER, a cheater. I enjoy both.lmao! Sorry but I love this hobby. Who cares who flys what as long as they have safe fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42288.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1712288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30105.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1712289  
Attached Images   
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

This is the worst thread I have ever seen on rcu.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Farmer Ted

If you actually care about or argue about this nonsense, then you probably need to get your Angry Crotchety Grandpa Discount Card renewed.

This kind of idiocy does absolutely nothing. Period.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

Why is it jet pilots think they are better then everyone else?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: Farmer Ted
If you actually care about or argue about this nonsense, then you probably need to get your Angry Crotchety Grandpa Discount Card renewed.
While perhaps beaten to death, it has been and remains an active point of contention in sanctioned competition and has been for decades, starting back with the original BOM rules for certain events.

The manner in which ARF's are judged in competition in relation to a kit or original design isn't going away anytime soon.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: keyman

Why is it jet pilots think they are better then everyone else?
What do you mean think?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
invert0914
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: keyman

This is the worst thread I have ever seen on rcu.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]
you got that right!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Farmer Ted

If this is all about some contest and the fact that your scratch built plane got beaten by and ARF, then, without knowing anything else, I'd have to come to the conclusion that you're not very good at scratch building (or 'modeling' I guess).

Just sayin'...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.