Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to me B4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
aglaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me B4 issues

Hi all! Im new to r/c cars but have experience with nitro planes and boats. I recently aquired an associated B4 buggy dirt cheap. Ive had a couple issues with is as to be expected from a used rc.. The screw that holds the servo arm has fell out. How in the world am I supposed to get it back in the servo?? Also I think I have an issue with my rx/ esc. I can run fine for a while and then the car acts like it loses signal for a second thenk I regain control.. Ive noticed if I flip the connection between the esc and battery I can cause this problem.. Any ideas on this? Again I am a total newbie to cars and electric! Thanks a lot!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New to me B4 issues

To put the servo screw back in, you take the servo out, and then put the screw in, and reinstall the servo.

If this is a car with a Tamiya plug, cut it off and throw it in the garbage and solder a Deans or Traxxas plug on it. The Tamiya plugs are horrible and once they get a bit of wear to them, they lose their connection and that would explain what you experienced with your car.

If the servo is a Hitec, you need an M2.6x8mm screw. Otherwise it'll be an M3x8mm screw. If it's plastic geared, chances are good that the threads are pulled out of the splined output shaft.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful with the servo mounts, they are ridiculously easy to strip.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie never really had that issue.
*EDIT*
Nevermind, RTR has plastic
Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM
aglaser

Update... Got the servo screw back in.. It looked harder than it was to remove the servo.. Ended up cracking one of the crappy servo mounts so a hobby shop trip is in order.. ALso the connecter on the esc is a deans connecter already.. Should I try cutting off a cm or so, stripping and resoldering it back to the esc or just buy a new one?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Nope, because Deans (at least real Deans) don't normally wear out. If there's any question on whether they're real or fake Deans, pop down to your LHS and get a new pack of them and compare them. The fake Deans are normally a redder red and a different material that one can dent with their fingernail.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50 PM
aglaser

Update 2.. After taking the car to the hobby shop and finding my esc was messed up, I replaeced it and got some servo mounts.. Got the car running and it runs great! The only issue I have is after i put it into reverse even for a second, I cant go foward for a few seconds, on the other hand I can be going foward and just slam it into reverse at any time.. Im pretty sure this is bass ackwards because of a built in esc braking sequence or something.. Any ideas? Can I switch the polarity on the engine and servo reverse to fix it or is this a way to let the magic smoke out of my setup?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is backwards. Your forward is reverse. There is a servo reversal switch on your remote, hit that, then re-program your ESC (refer to the manual). It should now be going backwards when you pull the trigger. To fix this, reverse the polarity to your motor.