Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 AM
dchomie87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Official Traxxas 4wd Slash Thread...

So my main concern is it worth it because I originally want the bullet st flux which looks wicked from videos but it's not in the us yet so...
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 AM
dchomie87

See but that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to spend 400 on this truck and then spend another 350 on a new motor esc and a 4s lipo. I think it's a little ridiculous tying up 800 bucks into a 1/10 scale truck.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:58 AM
OddsNEnds

ORIGINAL: dchomie87

See but that's exactly what I don't want. I don't want to spend 400 on this truck and then spend another 350 on a new motor esc and a 4s lipo. I think it's a little ridiculous tying up 800 bucks into a 1/10 scale truck.
I totally understand. You did ask for "stupid quick", lol!

You can run the VXL system on 3S lipo and play with your gear ratio to your liking, monitor your temps until you find a happy medium. Still change out the motor mount to the KingHeadz one would be a good idea.

I like that comment about ridiculous and money, but, isn't this hobby all about ridiculous and it's upgrades. You will eventually pay for it... All my models have been overly modified and that is part of the fun.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:29 PM
dchomie87

Lol picked up the mark Jenkins today and battery is currently on charge so lets see what happens...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM
OddsNEnds

So, how are you liking your Slash 4x4?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 AM
dchomie87

Dude its awesome its alot faster outta the box than what I anticipated... Yesterday we has snow so I went and ran it, had a blast. It drifts just fine on ice...
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
DonkeyKickAJ

Just got one last night... batteries are all charged and now it's raining.  I guess the first run will be testing the waterproofing.

BTW, I'm a noob, Is there a break in procedure? 

At the moment, I plan on using the "Training mode" (50% power) until I get used to the handling. Then I'm gonna unleash the beast.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Breakstuff

No break in on brushless motors. Plug in and Let er rip...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: OddsNEnds

Still change out the motor mount to the KingHeadz one would be a good idea.

+1000

And of course, I thought when I bought my 4X4 it would only be tires I would upgrade, and I would race it as-is. Not happening. Now, well, just see my avatar [&:]

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
dchomie87

Well time for upgrades... I dropped the 5k mah lipo into the slash and wouldn't you know it the first thing to go....axles snapped on the front any good decent priced cv's for these trucks?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
dchomie87

Nice paint fahrt... Thinking of doing and a buckeyes Baja bug...
Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM
dchomie87

What does a slow red blinking esc light mean...it comes on when hitting jumps but my motor fan is on so the motor is cold and the bat has full charge on 3s lipo
Old 01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Thanks, your'e in Ohio, check out PaintMonster airbrushing, he will work thru the mail, too. That's who did it, guys got serious talent. Body and paint and all was about $100, if I recall
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 AM
dchomie87

The tech at my lhs does custom airbrushing and he is dam good I don't know his prices but the shop is across the street from where I work so im gonna try him out.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:51 AM
OddsNEnds

Glad your enjoying it homie....

Not sure 'bout red blinking lights, I haven't owned a VXL system yet. Sorry.

Wow, snapped the front axles...Impressive. Usually the rears go first, lol. The are a couple out there. I have the MIP XDuty CVDs and haven't had one issue yet.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
dchomie87

But 75 bucks for some axles the must be superb...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Strange, I must have gotten a good batch. I have been running stock axles on mine since I got it, and even with a Castle Creations system in it I have done no drive train damage other than stripped and/or worn spur gears from time to time. MIP is top-notch though, if I were to go with new axles I would turn there first for sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
DonkeyKickAJ

Question about the trim knobs on the stock controller...  If I was to let my kids drive this car, I would want to turn the speed WAY down, I was thinking the "Throttle trim" would work for this, but it doesn't appear to have any effect (I went throught blinky-light-menu-thingy) Does this mean something other than what I think it does?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
dchomie87

If you read the manual it says that's not a throttle trim but it does tell you how to set the truck up for 50% max throttle. Idk if that helps.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 PM
OddsNEnds

But 75 bucks for some axles the must be superb...
$60 at Tower Hobbies, ToadzRC has them for $58....

4S lipo and a mamba monster 2200kv powerplant. Haven't had a single issue with them.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
FNG RIDER

Hi all!
I picked up a Slash 4x4 when they first released it. and raced it immediately. I broke the front arm and blew out the shock. replaced with upgraded arms, and proline shocks. had traction roll issues so I installed sway bars, center diff and proline tires. Last race I placed 4th overall, but didn't like the supercross triple jumps. I couldn't make the jumps and cased it many times. I cut out the front window and rear window to allow air to escape. but too many trucks, counted 50 during practice. So it became a shelf queen until recently. I was a little underpowerded with the stock Traxxas brushless motor. I had to gear it down to prevent thermalling.

I am getting interested in racing again. I hope to upgrade motor to a tekin pro4 46000 with EX8 speedo. that should help me clear the triples. I will race outdoors this time. Most of the seriouse guys have gone to the 6 lbs 1/10 4x4 trucks like the Losi, that may be my next option but for now I will try to spank them with my plastic fantastic Slash 4x4!
I may go to 50 wt or more on the front to stop the traction roll. I wll be ordering the motor next month so I have time to go over the ruck race prep and rebulld the shocks.instll upgraded a arms again. Ive been thinking about going to traxxas bike bore shocks. my prolines keep leaking oil. Have to top out between rounds has become annoying. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 PM
dchomie87

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you wanna go with a softer weight in the shocks so there is a little more give to prevent rolling?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
FNG RIDER

Correct me if I am wrong but don't you wanna go with a softer weight in the shocks so there is a little more give to prevent rolling?
stock was 30 wt w/o anti roll bar, I upped to 45 w roll bars still traction rolls. I thought I would try 50or 55. then maybe medium rubber and harder \inserts. I just saw the post re protrac updated front suspension. I may try that too when it comes out.
Although I will be running on an outdoor track which may make changing things moot. We shall see. its been a while, the car was pretty close last time out. its been over a year since Ive been racing.I need track time more than anythingelse.: )
Old 02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Jeff Spicoli

Hi all. It's been over a year since I posted. I've been so busy with work, family stuff and rebuilding a full size muscle car that I put the RC hobby on hold for a while, and didn't even venture into my man cave except for the occasional bottle of wine. I happened to stop by my LHS to get some guidance on LiPo batteries, as I had a few for some of my electric aircraft but had not yet charged them or run them for fear of burning down my house. While I was there, I saw the Slash 4X4 RTR, and decided to make an entirely unnecessary and impulse purchase, along with some Hobby People 5000 mah 2S LiPo batteries. I took the stock BFG Mud Terrain tires off as they look really nice and don't want to use them, and replaced them with the Pro Line tires I had on my Slash 2WD. I charged the packs and took the car outside to run LiPo batteries for the first time. I don't know if it's the Slash 4X4, or the LiPos, or both, but that car took off like a scalded cat and was incredibly fast. I'm yet to take it to a dirt track, but I was impressed by how fast and fun the Slash 4X4 is to drive. As much as I usually buy Associated cars and buggies for competition, I look forward to driving this in the spec class at one of the local dirt tracks.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
FNG RIDER

I didn;t like the out door track with its quad supercross jumps. Those take a toll on the entire car,. I'll run indoors.
basically stock, except the shocks power strokes, and Proline Bow ties. I have Suburbs also but need rims. I mistakenly purchased Pro trac rims wich have a negative offset. and tires rub on innner fender.

stock motor and gearing. but have ordered a Mamba Pro SC 3800 combo and a SSC LCG black chassis.
I still need a body and will go for another painted Traxxas body with bright Traxxas logos on the side. I want everyone see what has just spanked them. Mabe a Flo Tech later with Traxxas stickers.

This is starting to become fun again!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.