Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

OFNA Jammin CRT.5 Brushless

Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 PM
JRockZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OFNA Jammin CRT.5 Brushless

Well heres what i got for Xmas, Thanks to the help of Yakfish and a few others on here Shes alive and tearing up my neighborhood.
For some history b4 this i Had an (and still have as a roller) Evader EXT2 that i had a used velineon system in, I paid 50 bucks for the esc and motor so not a bad deal.

As soon as i got my CRT.5 istripped it of the short chassis and added the extended chassis. After looking at this thing in personi really thought i was screwed because i did NOT buy one of the nitro to brushless conversion kits, All i bought was the Monster RC motor mount.

After figuring out that i needed a tray of some sort to place the esc on i couldnt figure out what to use and i have no spare material laying around my apartment, no drills, no saws etc,,, So i used the stock Carbon Fiber servo mount and just screwed it to the rear top of the center diff as you will see in the pics.

as for Steering all i had was a cheapo futaba s-2002 servo and i knew this beast could not handle that so i scrounged a few bucks and went and got the HiTech HS-645-Mg servo.
Put this beast together and took it for a run. At the time All i had was Nimh's but the 8.4V 3000mah hump pack traxxas battery i have worked well i was pretty happy with how it drove but suspension was lackingor should i say lagging or sagging lol. Went out to make a quick run after trying several ways of mounting thebatterywith a velcro and a plasticstrap.
For some reason on this run my radio lost signalwhen i was at full speed, guess what?? Yep she kept a runnin and a runnin, Id say she went about 1000 to 1500 ft straight as an arrow, up a hill and right into a huge dumpster!! Blamoooo!! I laughed cause i know my evader would have drove out of that.

So the damage is!! Sweetez fix just the left frontbellcrank/servo saver deal was broken, i called my LHSand believe it or not the part was in stock!! Sojust as im ready to leave for the shop i look a little closer and i see my center drive shafts bent BAD!!Unfortunatley the shop did not have any shafts nor would the guy take the time to match them up for me. So came home installed the busted part and then took out the bent shafts and went to another LHS that was willing to check and compare shaft sizes but they were so bent we couldnt come up with a good match (and i didnt find out till later what the actual measurments are/were) so i did a temp fix and straightened them by hand and a hammer lol. but while looking for shafts i happened to notice these huge redcatbig bore shocks on the rack and they like 9 bucks, i was like no way! Let me have them babies!! AS you will see they turned out to be a good fit and so far (it's been raining) after 2 short runs they seem to work well.

So today i finally bought a Lipo and i came home sat down and looked closley at everything i have, i really need a battery tray bad or a good way of mounting the battery. I would prefer to mount it vertically rather than horizontally but i noticed these rear chassis plates from my evader, i had like 5 of them so i cut them up and they fit a battery well i just had to align them and bolt them down somehow so i could use velcro straps. Called my buddy and borrowed a drill and whaaaa laaa!! a few motherboard stand offs from my computer re-furbishing days and some hard drive screws and im in buisness. Now i'll shut up!! here that biatch is!!

Oh i rigged this old beater bodyi had on it in place of using the new body which i will save or sell if i can make a few bucks

The Guts!!

Still need a new fan for my Castle Cooler

Rigged up rear bumper

The Redcat Big Bores i got for 9 bucks

The Bent shafts

I also have plenty of nitro parts left from the kit IF anyone is interested in them i could make a good dealto get some of my money back i spent on this beast!!
3yrs unemployed right now so i just barely scrap by with side jobsand a niceG/F

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM
JRockZ

Default RE: OFNA Jammin CRT.5 Brushless

im also intrested in seein and hearing about others conversions to brushless on the CRT.5 , tricks and mods you have done videos etc,,,,,replies are appreciated and by all means IF you ave a CRT lets hear about it!!
Im a little ghetto because now im FLATBROKE!! LOL
Old 01-10-2012, 09:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well my one CRT has evolved in many strange ways over the almost 2 years I owned it. Funny thing I tried a Futaba 4004 servo in it, and destroyed it in literally 2 minutes flat before getting my 1st Hitec 645MG(which is still in the tru... er now buggy)

Heres the 1st go at the BL conversion next to my MT1 conversion (scrapped it) battery on its side, and I had the ESC mounted to the battery box(ESC kept falling off) (also yes that is a stampede chassis bolted to it)

Next two pics are when I got the bright idea to put it over the center diff(eventually dyed it black). Worked fine actually till I put a nice sized hole in the windshield due to the traxxas clips

Pics 4 and 5 are of when I slapped the setup on to a SCRT10 chassis I got pretty cheap with SCRT10 dogbones, threw on m slash 4X4's 17mm hex modifiers, 1/8th scale buggy rim's, and a vorza body with a hellfires wing. Also on the left of the last pic you can see my new E-CRT .5 that I used a SCRT10 motor mount(ofn40936) for with the SCRT10's battery/radio box tree(OFN40946)

Neat thing about the radio/battery box tree is the parts almost are a direct bolt on. The rear brace in the tree replaces the CRT's rear brace, and allows the radio box/esc mount to bolt straight on. and the battery box you can screw in with 3 screws.

Did completely destroy the steering belcrank on the 1/8thscale buggified CRT I replaced it with STRC's aluminum CNC'd bell crank set for $25(still need to get one for the crt.5). On other of them I have the STRC CNC Alum knuckle, and C-hub set. No Idea how happy I was they made the SCRT10 using the same parts as the CRT.5 it brought the aluminum CNC parts down drastically (the STRC are literally 1/3rd the price ofna wanted for the same part 2 years ago)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75005.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1712688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19131.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1712689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62771.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1712690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67662.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1712691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87872.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1712692  
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
JRockZ

Thats Syco! All i needed was OFN40946 Had i known that b4 i'd have ordered it when i got the motor mount. Sweet rides I did see in my research, pics of your Stampede chassis battery mount, i remember no way is min going to come out like that LOL!! Hows it go with the EZ run set up and what motor??
I hail from Chitown tooSyco,, err well suburban chitown.
Did you ever run with the stock tires?? they dont look like they would hold up, i never even set mine on it i just threw on some used 2.2's i had. I didnt even realize the originals are 2.2's untill yesterday,,, i just kept thinking they were smaller 1/2thscale like 1.8's for a buggy or sometthing,,, Gotmy originals sold already to a guy thats going to use them on an ArrmaRaider.
Dayum the Aluminum upgrade parts are exxxppensiveee for this thing, i just want the top brace above the servo savers for now but was unable to find one yet.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: JRockZ

Thats Syco! All i needed was OFN40946 Had i known that b4 i'd have ordered it when i got the motor mount. Sweet rides I did see in my research, pics of your Stampede chassis battery mount, i remember no way is min going to come out like that LOL!! Hows it go with the EZ run set up and what motor??
I hail from Chitown too Syco,, err well suburban chitown.
Did you ever run with the stock tires?? they dont look like they would hold up, i never even set mine on it i just threw on some used 2.2's i had. I didnt even realize the originals are 2.2's untill yesterday,,, i just kept thinking they were smaller 1/2th scale like 1.8's for a buggy or sometthing,,, Got my originals sold already to a guy thats going to use them on an Arrma Raider.
Dayum the Aluminum upgrade parts are exxxppensiveee for this thing, i just want the top brace above the servo savers for now but was unable to find one yet.
Well the stock tires I found are pretty good actually(Prolines seem to last ages). I am still on the 1st set from when I got the original one 2 years ago mainly run it in grass so they don't get much wear(actually the new CRT in the last pic has the original tires off my 1st one). It was also down for about a year due to the ridiculous price for C-hub's, and knuckles at the time which was somewhere around $20 for the stocks due to them being quite rare at the time (why I was EXTREMELY glad the SCRT came out )) So the STRC aluminum IMO are a steal seeing I was trashing them quite easy, and ofna wanted 3X more per aluminum piece

As for the EZ-run... Runs great actually suckers too damn fast IMO for its own good at times, and the motor & ESC usually don't go over 5-10 degrees over ambient temps at the highest.

As for chicago I live in the middle of the overly taxed, overly fined, and poorly maintained city I say poorly maintained cause we have a 2-3 foot deep 3-4 foot diameter sinkhole in the middle of the street surrounded by probably a hundred smaller pot holes for over the past year and a half the city will not fix even though its been reported over 20 times by us alone so no on-road driving for me to actually damage the tires. Now if it was one of their precious cash printing red light cameras that were damaged they would be out in an hour repairing it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Here is a few pics of mine.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

seems theres no aluminum upper steering plate for the SCRT10/crt.5
They do make a graphite one for $12 http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=633
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
JRockZ

mc4798 whats up with that front end is that all 1/8th scale parts or the pillow ball mod i read about but havent seen any how to's on??

Yea Syco i know exactly how your street looks lol been there done that!!

Ok i took mine out for a good run on the Lipo and OMG ok this thing is to crazy and uncontrollable maybe its my front shocks or the fact that this thing is so short but i can wheelie in reverse quite well its hillarious!! It seems to be way to top heavy on pavement where it gets good traction, the seal coated driveway areas in my apartment though it drifts so thats fine but hit a sidewalk and she rolls on almost every turn,, my front tires are kinda crappy and one of them is completley unglued now on the outer side lol. I ran it in the tennis courts at my complex and the tire actually screech like a real car.when i hit the hook from a good speed (1/2 to 3/4 throttle) it endo's and does a rear wheelie while going forwards LOL.
Back to the chopping block ihave tode-bond some tires off my evader to use on this and see how much if any that helps.

Today at the LHS i went throughboxes and boxes of partslookin for ofna parts and i found a bunch!! Diff gears, diff cases steering servo parts, CVD's etc,,, A buck a piece!!! A few of the parts i grabbed just guessing they would fit mine butonce 9i got home and verified i have a few 1/8th scale parts i wont need so i will eslay them.

i'm apparently still having a reciever problem because a radio test again today prooved to make it start to run off again so i cant even hit top speed really, I stuck to the grass

60+ Degrees today so i hope i can get back out for at least one more run b4 dark hehehehee

Oh also how unsafe is it to charge a lipo without a charging bag? LOL is there something else i can use?? i just cant spend another 15 bucks for decent bag.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
mc4798

Its the PB conversion.Nitro House has the kit and or PN#s you need to do the conversion.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Hop-Up...duct_info.html

have got to the point I dont use a lipo bag but I do all my charging in the garage. If you are charging in your house def want to use one for safety sake

Old 01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: mc4798

Its the PB conversion.Nitro House has the kit and or PN#s you need to do the conversion.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/Car-Hop-Up...duct_info.html

have got to the point I dont use a lipo bag but I do all my charging in the garage. If you are charging in your house def want to use one for safety sake

Cool thanks!! yeah i figured that, probably my dumbest mistake is thinking oh well its a new battery it will be fine lol. im going to move my charger near the door and just set it outside on the sidewalk till i can get a bag for it.

Apparently UN-Cure de-bonder does not work on Zap CA very well theres no way im getting my tires swapped over today :sad: oh well waste of a beautiful day today lol

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

do my charging in an ammo can I got from a surplus store(and depending on the lipo sometimes a lipo bag in the can)
Saw a test on youtube where a guy cause a lipo to burst into flame in a ammo can that he had sitting on carpet. The carpet didn't catch fire or get damaged cause the can spread the heat around. Also was easier to put out seeing he just closed the lid.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 PM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

do my charging in an ammo can I got from a surplus store(and depending on the lipo sometimes a lipo bag in the can)
Saw a test on youtube where a guy cause a lipo to burst into flame in a ammo can that he had sitting on carpet. The carpet didn't catch fire or get damaged cause the can spread the heat around. Also was easier to put out seeing he just closed the lid.
Sounds more expensive than a lipo bag would be, my G/F said she would give me the $ to get a bag so thats coolby me LOL she doesnt want her apartment to catch on fire i guess.

So some help here guys, If anyone even knows,, i picked up a set of these gears today for a buck OFN40513 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Diff-Ge...item53e89a4bfa Phil's has them listed as being for Ofna Jammin X1 CR series so my question is does this mean crT? or x-1CR series? Wheres the true ofna guys at that know this stuff?? lol anyhow
They appear to be the same as these OFN40805 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Jammin-...item415ece7f9bfor the CRT however more washers are shown, looks like about 8 of them, The ones i bought only have 4 of them but im sure the originals would be useable still,,, Im just wondering IF i should keep these gears around for future use or list them up forsale.

I also got a set of CVD's that are originally about 35 bucks for adollar too,but they fit 1/8th scale, they fit anX-1CR andi guess they arent to popular so wondering if it would be worth sleebaying them.

And lastley does anyone else get the endo on full brakeing? i wonder why mines doing that, to be honest its not handeling all that well once the grass dried up some today i was doing multpiles rolls, rolling constantly!! Trying to figure out if its my shocks or just the overall set up and weight of this thing.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Sounds more expensive than a lipo bag would be, my G/F said she would give me the $ to get a bag so thats cool by me LOL she doesnt want her apartment to catch on fire i guess.

So some help here guys, If anyone even knows,, i picked up a set of these gears today for a buck OFN40513 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Diff-Ge...item53e89a4bfa Phil's has them listed as being for Ofna Jammin X1 CR series so my question is does this mean crT? or x-1CR series? Wheres the true ofna guys at that know this stuff?? lol anyhow
They appear to be the same as these OFN40805 http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFNA-Jammin-...item415ece7f9b for the CRT however more washers are shown, looks like about 8 of them, The ones i bought only have 4 of them but im sure the originals would be useable still,,, Im just wondering IF i should keep these gears around for future use or list them up forsale.

I also got a set of CVD's that are originally about 35 bucks for a dollar too, but they fit 1/8th scale, they fit an X-1CR and i guess they arent to popular so wondering if it would be worth sleebaying them.

And lastley does anyone else get the endo on full brakeing? i wonder why mines doing that, to be honest its not handeling all that well once the grass dried up some today i was doing multpiles rolls, rolling constantly!! Trying to figure out if its my shocks or just the overall set up and weight of this thing.
X1x CR, and CRT have the same exact diffs only difference is the spur gears teeth count (have a X1 CR, and CRT that I got after the crt .5 due to how impressed I was with it )

full braking? I will be honest due to its size I do roll it quite simple, but then again I can roll a 1/8th buggy quite simple too (my 1/8th crt is another thing that is a pain to roll, but will back flip quite easily )
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM
JRockZ

Oh yeah it flips back easily infact most the time lands back on all fours but seems like just as someone comes around and is like wow that thing is cool then all i do is roll it and im constantly chasing after it lol.  I guess im still just not used to driving it, my evader was alot wider and seemed to bounce around and wheelie alot more. I never did get my tiires unglued (gave up for now) i just pulled off the hex adapters on my rears and swapped on a rear set of wheels from the evader and was able to run another pack through it today.  

I know ive already put the gears to the test and i doubt i will ever have much problem with them, the Evader was notorious for ripping gears so maybe i drove it more carefully.

I also noticed tonight my mod 1 pinion and the spur are catching in one spot again, im wondering if its the mod1 to 5mm spacer or if it is the number of teeth on the pinion gear, im running a 16t pinion and i think i may have to drop down to a 15 maybe even a 14 as now that im running the Lipo temps are getting way to close to to hot,,,, I like the speed and the torque i have now i'd much rather go up and get a little more speed than down for more torque to keep temps down.  The pinion does do a slight (very slight) wobble and i think its cause when i torqued down on the set screw in the pinion i may have went a littl to hard on it causing it to cockeye a little bit.
 What pinions do you Run Syco? MC?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Oh yeah it flips back easily infact most the time lands back on all fours but seems like just as someone comes around and is like wow that thing is cool then all i do is roll it and im constantly chasing after it lol. I guess im still just not used to driving it, my evader was alot wider and seemed to bounce around and wheelie alot more. I never did get my tiires unglued (gave up for now) i just pulled off the hex adapters on my rears and swapped on a rear set of wheels from the evader and was able to run another pack through it today.

I know ive already put the gears to the test and i doubt i will ever have much problem with them, the Evader was notorious for ripping gears so maybe i drove it more carefully.

I also noticed tonight my mod 1 pinion and the spur are catching in one spot again, im wondering if its the mod1 to 5mm spacer or if it is the number of teeth on the pinion gear, im running a 16t pinion and i think i may have to drop down to a 15 maybe even a 14 as now that im running the Lipo temps are getting way to close to to hot,,,, I like the speed and the torque i have now i'd much rather go up and get a little more speed than down for more torque to keep temps down. The pinion does do a slight (very slight) wobble and i think its cause when i torqued down on the set screw in the pinion i may have went a littl to hard on it causing it to cockeye a little bit.
What pinions do you Run Syco? MC?
I HATE those spacers
I tried them once on another electric conversion, and had many issues like that to the point they destroyed a spur (it was on my 1st MT1 conversion attempt)
OFNA has 3mm mod one pinions from 11t-16t pinions http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...pinion&x=0&y=0
HAven't had any isue with them
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM
JRockZ

Great more $ i don't have dang i thought the mod 1 pinions at 10.95 were expensive lol. thanks for the link, maybe thats my problem , think the spacer is actually 8th to 5mm is the shaft on the motor actually 3mm??
It's weird too when i gun it and then just coast for howevere long she rolls along perfectly no binding or catching but when im rolling slow and then go to hit the throttle then every now and then it will like lock up and stop then go. i'll see about getting one of those pinions i want to also get an aluminum servo horn and mounts, i guess more so for the look of things than anything.
The CRT is a really nice truck i think i just dont like the shotness of it and the small width, maybe i should do the upgrade to teh SCRT chassis i dunno so many options so much time but not any money to do it At least i scored with the gears for a buck!! HA!
J
Old 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM
mc4798

I use Ofna, Tenshock and Himoto pinions.

To be honest you dont have to use big dollar pinions. The steel ones from Tenshock and Himoto have held up great. 5-7 dollars a pinion.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM
JRockZ

To be honest you dont have to use big dollar pinions. The steel ones from Tenshock and Himoto have held up great. 5-7 dollars a pinion.

Thats better got a link for them? And LOL i meant how many teeth not what gear/brand lol
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM
mc4798

Oh lol , Using a 16t pinion with a 4300kv 4 pole motor.

Thats better got a link for them? And LOL i meant how many teeth not what gear/brand lol
Old 01-11-2012, 08:24 PM
JRockZ

Oh lol , Using a 16t pinion with a 4300kv 4 pole motor.
I figured 16T would be about right, Im running the traxxas Velineon system and if i remember right thats a 3500KV motor, Im still new with this so no clue how many poles,, i know theres a few at the strip club tho lol.
Mine runs good temps are fine with a 8.4V nimh battery in it but with the new lipo its getting to hot, at least from what i can tell by touch.
Wondering now if i would have used the stock wheels and tires that may have kept it down a bit in the temps, maybe handled a lil better too but i just cant stand the looks of them, wat to small IMHO. Funny though before i actually got it i thought the wheels and tires looked awesome!!

Just compared this to the evader Granted theevader is 1/10th and this is 1/12th itlooks like an inch or so less in width and length, i wish there was an easy way to widen this thing some,,, With my evader flipping the front arms around adds a little more length and an extra wheel bearing in frontalso adds that much more width to it too so mine is wider and longerthan as a stock evader.

Yes im wearing fuzzy socks, we went from a 60 degree day beautiful out to below freezing at some point tonight,, Only in texas man only in texas sheeesh!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10045.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1712940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18766.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1712941  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

I've heard, these Truggies rock?
what's the word here fellas?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM
mc4798

ORIGINAL: srt10

For a 100.00 dollar kit (with mount) it rocks out pretty good. Liked it so much had a SNR chassis made to extend the wheelbase out to 270mm to battle with 10TT's and use regular ST shells. Very happy so far

Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 PM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: srt10

Yeah man the quality way outshines the rest if you ask me, i just keep having other issues like this

Female bullet pulg pulled off my VXL-3s esc board doesnt look to be fixable ughhhhhhhh!! Just my luck!! i made a post on it over here http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139661
Old 01-12-2012, 01:08 PM
mc4798

Looks like it can be re-soldered to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
JRockZ

Looks like it can be re-soldered to me.
As i thought, guy at the hobby shop says Nope cant be done!! he said you could do it but the first time someone pulls the wire out on it it will just rip apart again, which is why i said maybe better to solder a small wire with a female bullet on it and just have that stick outside the back of the esc so im plugging in two wires rather than pushing the male plug down into the ESC. oh well I'll bring it up to the shop tomorrow and have him look at it then.
I need a job!!! ughhhhhhh!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.