Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Modeler or ARfer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
modeler
69.72%
Arfer
30.28%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Modeler or ARfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Maestri-M
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Modeler or ARfer?

Very simple..builders =more knowledge about aeronautics. Arfer= putting together a puzzle with instructions.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM
JohnBB
My Feedback: (17)

I suspect your definition of build is in complete.

Build is an assembly of parts but also includes manufacture of the parts.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
JohnBB
My Feedback: (17)

You're way ahead of all of us, enjoy that trip to South America, maybe watch the tree grow for a couple of years.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Maestri-M

When I said more knowledge about aeronautics, INCLUDED assembly parts and manufacture of the parts._= make a Model airplane from scratch require to make the parts,make a plane from a kit require to know how and where to put the parts precisely. =Knowledge about aeronautics!.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:34 AM
BoeingFlyer

Model aviation is a hobby. Period. By definition, a hobby means non-professional (you don't earn your living from it). I guess it's just human nature for people to compete, but to me, that takes away from the fun of it. I appreciate a finely built, highly detailed, cool looking model, but I get just as much fun out of my sunday flyer POSas I do my more expensive, sophisticated, high-performance models. I have over 40 R/C airplanes ranging from EP Foam ARFs to Giant Scale, built-up nitro planes. I belong to 3 different model airplane clubs in Las Vegas, and it's amazing how different people treat you when you bring out the patched-up .40 trainer vs the $1,000+ Nitro Warbird I spent a year building! I get so fed up with all the competition (mine's better than yours, I BUILT my model, ARFs aren't REAL models, etc.) that I often just drive out to the dry lake bed south of town and fly by myself! I like the comraderie and social aspect of the clubs, but I HATE all the BS competition! A hobby was meant to be enjoyed; not judged, compared, critisized or put down. Leave the "King of the Hill" crap back in grade school where it belongs.

Build or ARF: ALL of the above, and then some!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
DanMN

ORIGINAL: Maestri-M

When I said more knowledge about aeronautics, INCLUDED assembly parts and manufacture of the parts._= make a Model airplane from scratch require to make the parts,make a plane from a kit require to know how and where to put the parts precisely. =Knowledge about aeronautics!.
Are you drawing the plans from which you use to cut the parts? Are you designing a completely new airframe, or are you scaling out an existing airframe that prints exist for? Let's face it, most builders use existing prints to build their model showing placement of every piece. Not sure where your knowledge of aeronautics is coming into play?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
ackroyd
My Feedback: (8)

I'm a proper aeronautical engineer, i.e a chartered engineer who has worked on full size aircraft (and i'm not taking about being the maintenance guy). Don't try and call yourself an aeronautical engineer if all you do is play with toy airplanes, put togther laser cut parts cut by someone else, from a plan drawn by someone else and using all thegear andturbine (or EDF)that you bought etc etc - you get the point.

BTW I fly mostlyARFs (of all model types), but have built a few large scale 90 and 120mm EDF jets from kits (Aeronaut, JHH and RBC).

I repsect that have the time and want to put in the effort to have something original then great, it makes the hobby so much more diverse and interesting, but get off your high horse and stop judging those that don't. They all still fly the same. and at 250 feet+ I can't tell the difference.

Geez, its just a hobby, get over yourself.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Maestri-M

You can't compare a scratch or kit builder with a Arfer. I Built my kits and scratch built 4 planes my own design.,when you have the experience you don't need to draw plans with details! I draw my planes cut the parts built it cover it,install the electronics equipment,and fly it. Here is one of my scratch built prop jet 120 mph plane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-ul...e_gdata_player Don't get me wrong,I also have Arfs planes like my turbine power airmacchi MBA 339 with jet cat p80 , I'm just saying, Builders have more skills than Arfers.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Maestri-M

You can't compare a scratch or kit builder with a Arfer. I Built my kits and scratch built 4 planes my own design.,when you have the experience you don't need to draw plans with details! I draw my planes cut the parts built it cover it,install the electronics equipment,and fly it. Here is one of my scratch built prop jet 120 mph plane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-ul...e_gdata_player Don't get me wrong,I also have Arfs planes like my turbine power airmacchi MBA 339 with jet cat p80 ,Builders have more skills than Arfers. Period.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Pete737

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF44JBEC7Ps&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Maestri-M

You are in the wrong forum,This forum is not about jets!!Or who has what planes..I have turbine plane warbirds planes,electrics,even gliders. Im a areomodelist!. And the best of it. I BUILT!!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

You are in the wrong forum,This forum is not about jets!!Or who has what planes..I have turbine plane warbirds planes,electrics,even gliders. Im a areomodelist!. And the best of it. I BUILT!!
Wow, we really went off the DEEP end, didn't we? We could really do without that "RCU Heartbeat" feature, couldn't we?!? [:'(]

Bob
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Maestri-M

couldn't we??..this hobby is awesome,enjoy it the way you like!!there is no comparison between a builder and arfer. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 AM
ZX11

Some people really don't like ARF's. But I see little difference between them and kits. Teams of people engineering a plane that is assembled by the owner. Either way the owner is following and modifying as he sees fit the plane instructions using provided materials.

Scratch building is cool but who has the time. There is fun in building planes. Fun that can be extended by starting with fewer and fewer company bought parts. I guess the fun evaporates when a better looking (and flying) ARF is set down next to the scratch build on the flightline. Hours and hours of work eclipsed by someone with less time and more cash.

In general, aren't scratch builders the worst pilots? Too much time building and not enough wringing the bird's neck?

Old 06-03-2013, 02:49 PM
dmoody19

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jedi

In the old days there were no ARFS only sticks and slabs, as time progresses so has technology. So it should not surprise anyone that the ARF was born.

I believe the ARF has brought more flyers to the field and I like that.

I remember the days glueing, sanding and covering models and how I wished there was an easier way.

I respect all flyers at the field and will train anyone with a capable plane...

lol makes me laugh so hard lol... Now that there is an easier way Ifind myself going back to my kits and building and complaining that I should have went the easier way.... lol then Iopen another kit and start building again getting ready to grumble all over again.... of course I do fly my arf's more than the kits.... yes I am afraid that something might happen to the plane I just put 3 or 400 hours into... still fly them just much more carefully and not as often... If the arf goes down.. well it is a shame and it still hurts the pocket but not like that 400 hours of hard work does....

I think as well that we need to back off and let folks fly. FOr the guy that states you aren't a builder or worthy of flying unless you know every part, every joint every glues area and the type of wood used.... get real... using that mentality you better get out of the house unless you have seen every nail, stay away from your car or truck unless you have ordered it from a kit and then take the kit apart to make sure you see every nut and bolt, every scrap of material... and by the way... duck..... the sky really is falling on all who do not do as you do...

There is a place for guys that scratch build and model planes after real ones but boys and girls that does NOT give you the right to look down on those of us who couldn't care less. YES I admit it... Ibuild planes like piper cubs and refuse to use yellow... or blue unless mixed with two different greens, some red, yellow, white and orange... I will build and cover with odd colors just to irritate you and you know what I found out???? My plane flies just as well as yours and I don't have to sweat it if it gets dirty and needs to be fixed up once in a while ... with maybe purple and fusha patches..... lol

Jsut fly friends.... if you wanna be perfect in copying go ahead.. if not more power to you...... Just enjoy your time there is way to little of it in the first place...

Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM
dmoody19

Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM
dmoody19

You can't compare a scratch or kit builder with a Arfer. I Built my kits and scratch built 4 planes my own design.,when you have the experience you don't need to draw plans with details! I draw my planes cut the parts built it cover it,install the electronics equipment,and fly it. Here is one of my scratch built prop jet 120 mph plane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-ul...e_gdata_player Don't get me wrong,I also have Arfs planes like my turbine power airmacchi MBA 339 with jet cat p80 , I'm just saying, Builders have more skills than Arfers.
ONG.....says who? Maybe the arfer just doesn't have the time like boing above. He actually is the engineer yet flies arfs... I do the same but also build my own. You think I am dumber somehow because I don't always have the time to build from scratch? Give me a break. I know surgeons, flight engineers and even a guy that did something little.. he designed the gravity platform for space vehicles for Grumman and Nasa... guess what he flies... thats right ARF'S Iguess he just got lucky landing the job he has after all by your definition he is just too stupid to be creative... IN the end the scratch builder and the arf builder yes I said builder so what... in the end they are both on the flight line flying their toys. just like me and just like you. You might want to look in a mirror and notice that the halo is just a light shining behind you it isn't an indication of your perfection.
How about being a helper instead of looking down your nose at those of us who apparantly have no brains when compared to you...

Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 AM
dmoody19

Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 AM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: suddengustofgravity

I drive to my flying field in an automobile I did not make, wearing clothes I did not weave, and eat food I did not grow. So who really cares how I got my airplane?

now this is a reality check lol... nice......

Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 AM
dmoody19

ORIGINAL: Farmer Ted

If this is all about some contest and the fact that your scratch built plane got beaten by and ARF, then, without knowing anything else, I'd have to come to the conclusion that you're not very good at scratch building (or 'modeling' I guess).

Just sayin'...
now this is an interesting comment isn't it???? just sayin....

Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 AM
dmoody19

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I had a few mintues today at lunchtime to look on RCU and saw my old thread from last year popped back up to haunt me. I really am sorry that I started the poll and all of this BS when frustrated by a rude customer who wanted to take advantage of my skills on more than one occasion. Can the Moderators PLEASE close this thread so it will go away?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM
softshell29

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ARFers are modelers.

We're all in this together
Afterall, only guys over 55 build kits anymore, right? And maybe only 1 out of 1,000.

So need to make room for youth who can't even do ARFs since they think thats soooo boring compared to their video games, facebook etc
If young people could actually build from scratch, or dogs could play piano, there would be hope for us all.

Too bad that's impossible.

Or is It?------------- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSuLz...yer_detailpage
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	923.0 KB
ID:	1915696  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:49 PM
jetster81

Originally Posted by VKGT
Sounds like the old farts at the field stirring the pot.

Who cares

If you like to build, good for you.

If you like to put ARFs together, good for you.

Enjoy the hobby while you're still breathing. No need to get *****ty about it.
Thats about right.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

You need a third choice.... "Mix" !!!

I didn't vote because in the last few years... I've been an ARF'er. there reasons are...

1) I own my own Biz, and have less time
2) Have two young kids, (2 and 7) and have to deal with them.
3) I have other hobbies (especially during the summer) that cut into my RC time.
4) Price of ARF's has gotten to the point that it's not worth building.

BUT...... with that said... I have built more models over the years, than I can remember. (going back into the late 70's with my first, Gentle Lady Glider) And, I have a tendency of buying inexpensive ARF's, and I do a lot of reconstructing on things I don't like.