Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Have i made a misstake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Sli_Cowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have i made a misstake?

I just bought a Redcat Caldera 3.0. I seem to be having more problems with it then i would have expected. is this common with Redcat or this model?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Have i made a misstake?

Its more common with lower end nitros.
What kind of issues?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im a redcat dealer, and I own some redcats...

that said, you get what you pay for. Any RTR nitro for under $200 is gonna have its issues.

The motor in the caldera is a decent brand, and puts out good power.

The servos/radio in the 1/10 nitros are not of high quality.

The 1/8 scale nitro line from redcat is a fair bit better than their 1/10's

I personally like their brushless models.

Have you gotten the center shaft fixed yet?

What other issues are you having?

Is it your 1st nitro? If so, then some of your issues may be common to newbs. Not meaning to offend, I made mistakes with my 1st nitro and had a bunch of issues with it. None of which were faults of the car, but with how i tried to tune it and run it.
After having 4-5 nitros, I can now figure out and fix any issues quickly....but thats after having some bad experiences.

Nitros.....not matter the brand, take work to make them run right and stay running right. They are not plug-and-go like electrics.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Sli_Cowboy

Yes this is my 1st nitro and no offence taken. i want to get into the hooby but didnt want to spend tons of money on my 1st one. i understand there is a learning curve. maybe having a car that neends help and hands on will help me with this curve. do you think been in the cold is making it a lil more difficult to tune the engine

yes i have got the center shaft back on. 

After i figure this one out what would be a good second truck to get? which wont be for awhile but i can look.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine is difficult to choose because it's not really all that good. Cold air really doesn't effect tunes all that much.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The engine is difficult to choose because it's not really all that good. Cold air really doesn't effect tunes all that much.
Um, for someone knew to the hobby it will!

1st off, anyone new will read the carb gap should be 1-2mm. But in cold enough weather, that will still be too wide a gap and the idle will be high.

2nd, on any motor that has yet to be broken in it will be hard to start. and if its cold that can make starting that much harder.

use a hair dryer to warm up the motor before starting it.

The SH motor are decent. But any motor takes some patience to break-in.

Nitro motors, once properly broken in start easier, and tune easier.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

I dont think you've made too much a mistake.  1st nitro's are difficult to get the feel of, and as you said there is a learning curve.  Many will come close to quitting the hobby altogether after experiencing the problems with learning a nitro engine and how it works.  Redcat is a lower end RC as mentioned above.  Learning on this Nitro will be a bit more finicky than others, however...if/when you do master tuning this nitro, future "better" quality engines will be a snap.

Cold weather can make it more difficult to start, and keep a tune on a nitro engine.  Follow the advise above and keep reading other threads for break in/tuning to educate yourself on tricks to make it easier.  Trial and error will get you there, and if you get to the point where you want to throw the nitro in a river....stay calm, most of us had been there at one point.  Once you do learn however its like riding a bike.  Other engines may be different, but all carry the same principles so you'll be able to start/tune anything.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:45 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Any engine has a harder time when it is cold, and the break-in process is heat-vital as it needs some heat and friction for everything to seat the way it should. Any of the bigger brands would be a little easier to work with, but still a headache trying to learn break-ins and tuning in the cold.

And for those who think the cold is irrelevant, try starting the 2-cycle trimmer or chainsaw that has worked all summer for you when it is below freezing, it just won't run quite as good as it did before. Your daily driver also has to work harder to work well in freezing temps. Heck there is some villages up North where people let their vehicles run constantly because the cold will freeze them up. Anything fueled partially by airflow will be affected at least to an extent by things like temperature, humidity, etc.

ORIGINAL: Sli_Cowboy

Yes this is my 1st nitro and no offence taken. i want to get into the hooby but didnt want to spend tons of money on my 1st one. i understand there is a learning curve. maybehaving a car that neends help and hands on will help me with this curve. do you think been in the cold is making it a lil more difficult to tune the engine

yes i have got the center shaft back on.

After i figure this one out what would be a good second truck to get? which wont be for awhile but i can look.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Sli_Cowboy

thx this has been very helpfull to me . at least i know i can turn to you guys and ask questions.