Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

NEW BUSA 1/3rd Scale Fokker Triplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

NEW BUSA 1/3rd Scale Fokker Triplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:13 AM
wildbills21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW BUSA 1/3rd Scale Fokker Triplane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir Percy,

You are 100 % correct, built a bottom and top crutch and attached the formers to each crutch. If the bottom and top crutch are built identical everything "SHOULD" line up.

Wild Bill
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: wildbills21

Sir Percy,

You are 100 % correct, built a bottom and top crutch and attached the formers to each crutch. If the bottom and top crutch are built identical everything ''SHOULD'' line up.

Wild Bill
And all this time you all thought I was just another pretty face!!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:07 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you need somebody to build the first production kit for you, I would be happy to do it. Why me? I asked first.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:24 PM
rcmiket

Hey I'm second just in case a back up is needed.
Mike
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
geezeraviation
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What keeps trickling through my mind is the fact that they bothered to do all the programming and whatever needs to be done and cut out the one Wild Bill is building by laser. You dont suppose they only did one, now do you? Mmmmmmy oh mmmmmmmy.
Doc
Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Can I go to the head of the line? I'm a BUSA customer (1/3 scale Pup, 1/4 scale DR1, 1/4 scale Nieuport 11) and I'm now retired with plenty of time to build!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
wildbills21

I think Cocobear must have gotten a little busy with other projects so I will post some Albatross pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71708.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1713217  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM
wildbills21

It will only let me do one at a time

Wild Bill

Name:	Ay76038.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1713218  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am glad nobody can see the drool on my keyboard.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:08 PM
geezeraviation

I keep a box of tissues close by
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Canuck1

More pics of the Albatros......looks awesome[8D]
Love that plane, keep the pics coming.
We all like a good tease.

Craig
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 AM
TKFOKKER

Maybe the Albi should start his own thread on the build? Being a proto you'd think it to be of the best interest for Busa to have this posted to show the consumer the aircraft in progress?
TK
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

What keeps trickling through my mind is the fact that they bothered to do all the programming and whatever needs to be done and cut out the one Wild Bill is building by laser. You dont suppose they only did one, now do you? Mmmmmmy oh mmmmmmmy.
Doc
You might think so. However, I can think of lots of reason for not doing that.

Speaking from being involved with die cutting, laser cutting and having prototyped and laser cut balsa models, here's my perspective. The dies are made from vector art. The laser cut bits are come from vector art. Starting to make sense now isn't it? There's more. It's easier to adjust your vector files when prototyping to test fit, size, configuration and anything else and simply make a one off laser part a better way to prototype than to make a new die and cut one or so out, then make another new die when you must tweak or correct. That's also more expensive.

When you go into production, die cutting wins the cost race by a large margin. There are also other benefits. In the case of BUSA, they have great die cutting. With their kits that I've built, I've found that the cuts are clean, the parts are accurate in shape, size and fit very well.

Lasers don't cut. They burn. The beam is also "v" shaped, so the sides of the "cut" are not parallel. The beam also moves in minute steps, leaving a jagged edge. Additionally, the width of the cut varies as the density of the wood varies. All this leads to a poor fit. You must also compensate for the width of the "cut" or you'll not fit well.

Poor fits lead to poor glue joints. As a perfect example, I'm presently building a Sig Hog Bipe which has many laser cut parts. Because of the inherent nature of laser cutting and the variable density of the original wood pieces used for the pars, there is great variation in the finished sizes of identical pieces such as fuselage sides and a poor fit with the laser cut bulkheads. This is making all sorts of otherwise unnecessary and time consuming work to correct the flaws, what with shimming, adjusting, filling gaps and so forth.

The laser cutting adds nothing other than satisfying people who in their misguided judgment think that it is superior to die cutting. Not necessarily so. I'll take good die cutting over laser any day of the week. Mind you, the laser has a cost advantage for a one off- such as the prototyping for the Albatros, which I initially mentioned.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
geezeraviation

You misunderstood me, I'm not suggsting BUSA turn to laser cutting as I understand completely the economic reasons too die cut, nor do I find any fault with BUSAs die cutting. I have built 4 of thier kits and all have been extremely well done with good wood selection, I cant think of a kit Id rather build. I am also aware that all laser kits are not equal as there are some that are very poor in the fit dept. My comment above was to insinuate that they surely cut two or three since they were at it and wouldnt it be fun to get my hands on one. I like the way BUSA kits are designed and know that the Alby (one of those round airplanes) as done by BUSA will probably be a pleasant build and render an airplane of reasonable weight and fly well. There are six round airplanes in my shop/hangar and almost all have used different methods to frame the fuse, Id like to give this one a try.
Doc
Old 01-13-2012, 07:43 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation

Doc
You might think so. However, I can think of lots of reason for not doing that.

Speaking from being involved with die cutting, laser cutting and having prototyped and laser cut balsa models, here's my perspective. The dies are made from vector art. The laser cut bits are come from vector art. Starting to make sense now isn't it? There's more. It's easier to adjust your vector files when prototyping to test fit, size, configuration and anything else and simply make a one off laser part a better way to prototype than to make a new die and cut one or so out, then make another new die when you must tweak or correct. That's also more expensive.

When you go into production, die cutting wins the cost race by a large margin. There are also other benefits. In the case of BUSA, they have great die cutting. With their kits that I've built, I've found that the cuts are clean, the parts are accurate in shape, size and fit very well.

Lasers don't cut. They burn. The beam is also ''v'' shaped, so the sides of the ''cut'' are not parallel. The beam also moves in minute steps, leaving a jagged edge. Additionally, the width of the cut varies as the density of the wood varies. All this leads to a poor fit. You must also compensate for the width of the ''cut'' or you'll not fit well.

Poor fits lead to poor glue joints. As a perfect example, I'm presently building a Sig Hog Bipe which has many laser cut parts. Because of the inherent nature of laser cutting and the variable density of the original wood pieces used for the pars, there is great variation in the finished sizes of identical pieces such as fuselage sides and a poor fit with the laser cut bulkheads. This is making all sorts of otherwise unnecessary and time consuming work to correct the flaws, what with shimming, adjusting, filling gaps and so forth.

The laser cutting adds nothing other than satisfying people who in their misguided judgment think that it is superior to die cutting. Not necessarily so. I'll take good die cutting over laser any day of the week. Mind you, the laser has a cost advantage for a one off- such as the prototyping for the Albatros, which I initially mentioned.
This post is wrought with exaggeration. I have built way more die cut kits of poor quality than laser cut kits. The main factor in a good die cut is sharpness, and the quality of the wood. Remember Sterling!
Having a prototype thread could be good, but the builder may have to edit out some issues they run into as it is a prototype.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 AM
geezeraviation

The first 1/4 scale cub kit I saw was from Sig and it was print wood! I also have a Gullows kit in the cupboard, getting loder and older.lol
Doc
Old 01-13-2012, 10:05 AM
wildbills21

To All,

About starting a build thread on the Albatross, the plane is pretty much all built. I did not take many pictures along the way, sorry. There are advantages and disadvantages to both laser and die cutting. I prefer to build off of a die cut. As it was stated above, every place the laser cut I sanded the burn off so to say to get a good glue bond. The advantage of a laser cut prototype, the kit was cut using the die sheet, any mistakes that may have been made on the die sheets will be corrected before the die boards were made. The plane will be in Toledo this year 100 % done. I will continue to post a few more pictures along the way, but to see the finished product you will need to come to Toledo this year. :-)

Wild Bill
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Canuck1

Wild Bill

Would be great to see a few more pictures.
Guess going to Toledo is the only way to see it. That won't happen for me, kind of far away[8D]
Once it is unveiled in Toledo, there will be several pictures to drool over.

When is Toledo?

Craig
Old 01-13-2012, 03:01 PM
geezeraviation

Sometime in March I think or maybe April. It used to be in Feb in the Mud Hens field house and it was COLD!
I lived about 75 miles from it back in the early 70s and went every year, but these days Texas is too durn far to drive.
Doc
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM
bigphil
My Feedback: (6)

April 13-15.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Fokker triplane

My Lord most of you guys sound like my wife. All negative about the new family member being offered by Balsa USA. When that kit comes out I'm buying one reguardless if this or that is not scale. I don"t care because like DJ. said it's about fun. Lets have some order out there on the internet and let DJ. build this girft from the gang at Balsa USA. Now boys pay attention; Mr. Johnson you have the FLOOR! Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 AM
rcmiket

This is actually pretty tame compared to most threads. Short of the laser vs die cutting it's be pretty much on topic ( which by the way is topic related).
Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Fokker triplane

OK Roger that. Thank you rcmiket I'm good. Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
cocobear
My Feedback: (2)

Finally progress! Yea!

Name:	Om33305.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1714359  
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
geezeraviation

Dave what's the composition of the outline structure, is it all balsa or is there some other material in the mix.
Doc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.