Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Warbirdguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does Giving away planes Have a Reward?

Give all you want. Wanting something in return takes away from the spirit of giving. [&:] Why does it matter what they do with it after they get it. What if they sell it for a "profit" and take the money and buy something else they need but couldnt afford? Does that make it wrong to you still? As I said before, giving with strings attached is not giving at all, its a control issue. Some seem not to be able to get by that. Maybe is a childhood thing. Some psychologist might even say it was caused by their parents [X(]
Old 01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
tonyob

I give with no strings attached, but if someone sold my gift without consulting me, I'd think twice before I gave them something else.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a nice little true story if you have a minute.

At the age of 13 I told my Dad I wanted a new Schwinn 10-speed bike. My Dad had a small floor covering business and money was tight. Dad asked me how much they cost to which I replied "$100 at the Carroll-Ames Hardware store". Dad told me he did not have that kind of money for a bicycle but if I really wanted one I could work for him after school and through my summer school vacation for some money. I agreed because I really wanted the 10-speed. All my buddies had one.

After working for some time it came to be around Thanksgiving time and my Dad asked me how much money I had saved for my bike. I think it was about $64. Dad looked at me with a smile and said " Go order your new 10-speed and I will pay the rest for your Christmas present".

That was the greatest gift my Dad ever gave to me. NOT THE BIKE! but the lesson that nothing is "free" and hard work deserves reward. I took great care of my bike beacuse I worked for it and it gave me a sense of value and pride.

I gave the neighbor kid a stripped 40 Kaos to play with. 30 minutes later I watched out the garage door while he and his buddies proceeded to stomp it into a pile of splinters.

We have a Sig Kadet LT-40 for our club trainer. I have taught many kids to fly in that manner. Then if they want their own I get with the parents and explain how to proceed forward in the same manner as the story about me and my 10-speed bike.

That is how you teach a kid to fly and learn the value of a dollar at the same time. There is much more to learn with this hobby that just flying model airplanes. I am 55 and have never had children and I get that thrown in my face quite often. "You've never had kids so you don't understand" but I have also found that having children does not necessarily mean you are automatically a good parent. The words "please" and "thank you" seem to have been replaced with "I want" and "give me". These traits will most always carry over into adulthood.

My Dad has taught me many good lessons about life. Some were hard to understand as a kid. He gave me opportunity instead of laying things at my feet.

SPEEDY
Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

I do that all the time....I ALWAYS find the guys who dont have a ton of money of time to build...and they get the plane..been doing it for years....cheers to you sir!!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Ok, I was trying to get the point across and maybe did not do it justice Maybe that was not the best example and I am missing something here. I think giving a chansaw to a five year old better illustrates the point though.

Just because you have a heart to give and can give does not make giving foolishly using wisdom. That was my main point in my post. It may seem a bit overboard, but when I give planes or RC stuff away which I enjoy doing, I make sure I do it wisely. That is all I was really implying. I have had people offer to give me something and I knew someone else was much more deserving and could use it more than me, I would always tell them to give it to the person that needed it most.

I find that all giving has stipulations on it even though they may not be as great on the giver so much as the receiver in some cases. The giver should use good judgment on whom he gives something to. What is wrong with that sentiment? Does that fail the "spirit of giving" because we choose to use good sense when giving?

When I was young I was a bit rambunctious with anything that had an engine on it. I used to want a dirt bike so bad I would drool over seeing them in catalogs. Of course, I desired the biggest, baddest of them all however that was not the best choice for me being careless I would have gotten killed if someone would have given me one like I wanted. That would have been a bad choice for the giver

Eventually I got a gift of a mini-bike from someone that had good sense and it was the perfect choice for me at my age! Later I was able to get the dirt bike after I learned some skills and was able to handle it.

Maybe that better illustrates my point [8D]
Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Great story Speedy! [8D]
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using my old planes to train guys to fly - not everybody has the cash up front to buy everything and then find out it is not for them. But it has the advantage to stimulate a new guy into what he is getting into and being old planes, if it is crashed, it is no big deal - doing it for both power planes and gliders.

Cheers

Bundu
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

I take an old plane I am tired of and break it down, cannibalize it for spare parts (mounts, linkages, landing gear, etc), and throw the rest in the trash. I do this because I have been given old planes at times ( and all sorts of other stuff), I felt obligated to get those old beasts flying, and they generally were a headache, so I don't want that to happen to someone else. I also like to see a newbie get nice new stuff that at least will function right the first time, and get things he picked out for himself rather than hand me downs. If a newbie is excited enough about the hobby, then he will do this, be happy and continue. If you give a newbie used stuff, because he didn't have the motivation (or money) to get his own new stuff, I've found he usually won't go far, and used stuff is very difficult to get working right if you haven't been in the hobby for a long time, and also prone to failure. Oil soaked fuselages have their gear come out on a hard landing, wings can collapse, tails fly off etc. Worse is stuff with electronics, old servos that fail, battery packs that fail in mid flight, etc. So I'm a big believer in the "round file" for old airplanes minus their reusable parts.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Lnewqban

This thread has shown that some really strange human behaviors actually exist.

1) To give something away without giving away its ownership and all associated rights (to attempt having control over the decisions of the receiver after the transfer is completed, like don't sell it, don't burn it, etc.) : Wrong in my book[]

2) To give away expecting something in return (material, moral or self-indulgent): Frustrating and naive[]

3) To give away irresponsibly to people that are not ready for the gift: Irresponsible[]

4) To give away things in less than perfect conditions, which may be unsafe and hard to handle for inexperienced people: Mean and depressing[]

All those human behaviors are against the pure spirit of giving, which maximum expression is to give away something that we value to another human being that needs it and will also value it.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
buzrow4

Well stated is that dockshound republican or dem?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I have always enjoyed mentoring young people getting into the hobby through the years and have given away several model airplane related items along with my time to assist in the learning process. A recent experience has left me more cautious and evaluative of who I am generous to, however. I gave a new in the box Flight Box kit to a young man to build and use. I never saw it again. When he destroyed his trainer, I had a nice used one that was gathering dust, and I donated it so he could get flying once more. It was happily taken home. He never returned to fly after that. When I saw his mother one day at the Post Office months later, she indicated he had just lost interest and didn't want to fly r/c anymore. I am happy to give, but I guess I am a bit resentful of someone who freely takes and then does nothing with what I give. I expect what I give away in this context to be appreciated and used, not just cast aside on a whim. Giving with strings attached? Perhaps.

Mike
Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

I only want 3 flyable + 2 Spaire planes. So I can keep up with what I got.
The planes that are collecting dust I am giving away. And enjoying it.

Am I doing the right thing?
Quite a few years ago, 1994 to be exact, I was into electric 1/10 & 1/12 electric car racing. Decided to get out of it as I was seeing that people were taking the hobby to serious and spending much more money on batteries and charging equipment, than on the cars themselves. Plus, a lot of these fellows had sponsors, thus taking any advantage away from the home town boys. May I mention, that I was also in the process of a move from MA to NY state.

What I did with all my cars, batteries, chargers,motors, transmitters, parts, etc., was to take them to a local hobby shop and I proceeded to tell the owner. Give all of this to some under priviliged boys, that because of their economical situations would never in their young lives be able to enjoy a hobby such as this. I also told the owner of the hobby shop, that if I ever hear of you selling any of this equipment, I will surely come back and cut off your .......... well you know what ......... I need not say here .......... He gave me his word that nothing would be sold.

I will also make mention that over the years, I to have given some airplanes away. Usually to young individuals, just getting started in the hobby. And I have donated some ARF's to one of the local RC clubs, to be auctioned off and proceeds to benefit the club and improvements to the flying field.

Now you ask, did I enjoy giving away these toys ? It would be a sure bet that I did ...................
Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM
jaav

give mine back to mother nature quite often[>:].
So unless some one wants what she doesnt take, yep it feels good. (to get a new bird).
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
91zulu
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Lnewqban

This thread has shown that some really strange human behaviors actually exist.

1) To give something away without giving away its ownership and all associated rights (to attempt having control over the decisions of the receiver after the transfer is completed, like don't sell it, don't burn it, etc.) : Wrong in my book[]

2) To give away expecting something in return (material, moral or self-indulgent): Frustrating and naive[]

3) To give away irresponsibly to people that are not ready for the gift: Irresponsible[]

4) To give away things in less than perfect conditions, which may be unsafe and hard to handle for inexperienced people: Mean and depressing[]

All those human behaviors are against the pure spirit of giving, which maximum expression is to give away something that we value to another human being that needs it and will also value it.

Well said, but you you mentioned strange behavior. Its not strange at all, there are more people like that in this world more than you think.
Most of us give from our hearts, while others give for various reasons, like they need to make space for some other project and they know they cant get a kings ransom for it on RCU or ebay or craigslist after all what they have is all battered and not worth a dollar so they find some one to give the trash to.
Most times I find we give to people that we know appreciate what we are giving them, not to some random kid across the street. Now if that kid comes to you and ask you questions like does it fly or how high it goes , that does not mean he is interested. On the other hand if the questions are more like, hello sir is that an OS 91 or is that a TF kit or ARF , that tells you this is a kid that has a very good idea and knows SOMETHING. If he come to you every time he sees you and ask about your planes and if some time he could come and watch you build, that is a kid that is interested. Not the random kid across the street that is just out playing.
Also the guy that comes to the field with the old car and a cheap foamie or back in the day it was all scratch built simple small planes no bigger than a 40 size and using a stick to get the engine started. Every time you come out to the field you see him in deep fascination over either a large warbird (like a P 51) or an Extra 300 and every once in a while you hear him say he wish he could afford one, that`s the guy you give to NO STRINGS ATTACHED.

Lets face it they are some that don`t see some folks struggling in life or they see and just don`t care. One person spoke about working for something (sound like a Tea Party person) guess he never heard of the WORKING POOR or just don` t think there is such a thing, life must be nice in his world. It is quite obvious some folks don`t have ANY IDEA what it is to be poor. Or maybe they did at one point and now that they are doing well, have forgotten. That`s ok because it makes it easier for those of us with good hearts to help as much as we can, NO STRINGS ATTACHED..
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I give some of my old planes to newbes and sell some too. A while back one of my club members had a heart attack and was layed up for a while ,i found out he was looking for a giant flybaby bibe to build or repair so i had one collecting dust and dropped it off at his house . I hoped it would help him from being bored while he was layed up for months and give him somthing to do. I give things to new guys to help keep them in the hobby and my club members have giving me planes also when my kids were in college and i could not afford to buy my own so iam paying back now. As far as being poor as a kid i can remember eating beans and corn bread for days on end cause we had no money for any thing else but we never asked for any help from any one. joe
Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

I have either given away or donated many RC aircraft and boats in the past. There are rewards and also bad feelings generated. All the good feelings and rewards haave come from military planes and ships I regularly DONATE to the various VA and State Veteran's Nursing homes in Southern Colorado. The patients (all veterans), staff, and visitors ALL seem to enjoy to see these hanging from the ceilings in the rec rooms and lobbies. This past year has seen three such facilities display a Hangar-9 Hellcat, F4U, Great Planes Fokker DR-1, T-28, and World Models Spitfire, and Mustang. They have been given numerous helicopter and Navy ships. I remove all the engines and electronics. I am a veteran myself and may wind up in one of these homes and know I would like to see these every day!
Prior to discovering this outlet, I used to just give planes I was no longer flying to individuals, and this NEVER worked out well for me. SOmeof them just wanted something to burn in thier backyard, shoot with BB guns, give to their kids to "Play with " and destroy, or sell at a profit, at the same time bragging about the planes they got from some old FOOL (me). I would recommend looking into donatiion of planes to your local VFW, American Legion Hall, or nursing home. Dr. R. Stasiak, CDR USN-ret
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62276.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1714626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60343.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1714627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83693.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1714628  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: retnavycdr

I have either given away or donated many RC aircraft and boats in the past. There are rewards and also bad feelings generated. All the good feelings and rewards haave come from military planes and ships I regularly DONATE to the various VA and State Veteran's Nursing homes in Southern Colorado. The patients (all veterans), staff, and visitors ALL seem to enjoy to see these hanging from the ceilings in the rec rooms and lobbies. This past year has seen three such facilities display a Hangar-9 Hellcat, F4U, Great Planes Fokker DR-1, T-28, and World Models Spitfire, and Mustang. They have been given numerous helicopter and Navy ships. I remove all the engines and electronics. I am a veteran myself and may wind up in one of these homes and know I would like to see these every day!
Prior to discovering this outlet, I used to just give planes I was no longer flying to individuals, and this NEVER worked out well for me. SOmeof them just wanted something to burn in thier backyard, shoot with BB guns, give to their kids to ''Play with '' and destroy, or sell at a profit, at the same time bragging about the planes they got from some old FOOL (me). I would recommend looking into donatiion of planes to your local VFW, American Legion Hall, or nursing home. Dr. R. Stasiak, CDR USN-ret
You make a great point here, doc. I have donated plastic model kits to VA's. Not only are hobby items you mention fun to look at, they aid in morale, passing time, and rehabilitation.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

Thanks, and here is another picture of one of the rec rooms at a Veteran's home.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18840.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1714647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63656.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1714648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30657.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1714649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61183.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1714650  
Old 01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I do not generally give away RC equipment. I tend to sell it for as much as the market will allow. This helps pay for new projects and keeps my RC expenses to a minimum. This , in turn, allows me to be more generous with the charities in my life. Two of the most important ones are the Houston Food Bank and the Star of Hope shelter. Recently, hard times have sent more and more families to food banks. These people generally work. But they just don't have enough money to feed thier families and pay the bills. Others are actually living in thier cars or in temporary shelters. The need right now is at an all time high. They can't eat an airplane. And people with hobbies aren't in need of help nearly as badly as people in need of food and shelter. Please consider selling your old models for cash and donating the proceeds to a food bank or shelter near you.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM
ES CONTROL

Profifhter :  Good point .  I am a giving type.  And need to understand your way of thinking.

Sometimes I hate my lamb / mercy personality .

My Goal is to learn 3D  , Than a fast war bird, than choppers.  This could take a lifetime. 
I do not want old stuff sitting around 

My Supersportster 60 Was my trainer for a war bird some day. I gave it to someone (club member)  who is learning his first low wing.

My UCD 60 is going to a pastor (Club member) Who crashed his UCD 60.  

My son inlaw is saving / working to become a bush pilot.  Is getting my 78" Cub.

And I am very happy about this
Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

I only want 3 flyable + 2 Spaire planes. So I can keep up with what I got.
The planes that are collecting dust I am giving away. And enjoying it.

Am I doing the right thing?
Seven year ago I took up flying RC after a break of 27 years. I had a plane that although 27 years old had never been flown and it looked very nice and was well built. I put a new radio in it and flew it once at the local field with a friend who had a number of years of flying under his belt. I determined after that flight that I needed to start with a trainer as I had been away from RC too long. I also realized that this plane was a little too old to be reliable.

Living next door to me was a 5 year old boy who I will call Sam. Sam had a speech development problem that was preventing him from being able to put more than 2 words together at a time. He was attending a special school and teachers and physicians were having a difficult time determining the cause for the problem. Sam loved to come over and watch me break in my airplane engines and taxi my new planes up and down the driveway. He would jump around and point at the planes for hours and I enjoyed his company. One day I asked his Mom if I could give Sam the old airplane I was not going to use. I asked permission because the plane was as big as Sam. She siad that would be wonderful because he seems to enjoy airplanes more than anything. I fixed the airplane up with weight in the nose and a porp so that it looked good and gave it to Sam the next day.

All of the sudden Sam started to talk in full sentances asking me endless questions about the plane and why his plane didn't have a motor like mine. This went on for an hour or more. Sam's Mom came out to take a picture of Sam, the plane and me and she realized that Sam was talking like never before and she began to cry. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that one of Sam's therapists told her that at some point in his life an event may occur that may trigger Sam's speech. She had not put alot of faith in that happening but apparently that was what was happening.

Seven years later I still have the photo of that day hanging on my refrigerator. You never know when you might just give something and get much more in return than you ever expect. Sam will always be a special friend because of what he gave me.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
groovy67
My Feedback: (1)

I once gave away a GP FW 190 to a guy because I had no use for it anymore and then got upset when he crashed it on first flight(tail heavy) thinking I should have kept it. Then i realized that i would have never flown it again anyways,so why get upset.
I recently gave away some TF B-25 retracts to a guy that took my crashed B-25 and rebuilt it because he didn't have the money to buy one and now he can complete it.He was the happiest guy in the world and this in turn makes me feel good about it ,too.
Bottom line: If you still have an attachment to it...keep it. If not,it makes you feel great to help someone out when you can.
It's true that you appreciate it more when you earn it,but a freebie once in a while is feels good to both giver and recipient.
Now if I could just talk someone into giving me a jet....hmm.

John.