Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 Katana 50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

NEW Hangar 9 Katana 50

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
liamtsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Hangar 9 Katana 50

My parents bought me a Hangar 9 Katana 50, and am asemmbling it at the moment. It seems to be an extremely nice airplane. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!!
Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Ernie Misner

Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 Katana 50

Yeah Liam, thanks for starting the thread! What a nice looking plane in the ads and they are looking to sell a ton of them the way they are advertising. Question: the engine sizes they suggest look kind of small. Would something like a 95AX or Saito 125 be more like it?????

Thanks and keep us posted on your build and flying,

Ernie Misner
Old 01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
liamtsmith

I am actually planning on putting a Saito 91 in it. This is my first 3D plane, so I really dont have an idea of how big the engine sizes are, but I will be sure to tell you when I get it up. It really is a good looking airplane. Built well, too!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 PM
bjackson1206
My Feedback: (2)

I have a os 91 fx laying around was thinking about buying this plane for it the 91 weighs 4 more oz than the saito 82 they say to put in it from what i see on spec pages they show other than that the 91fx is smaller in demensions i think it would be a rocket with this combo. any suggestions would be great thanks Ben
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM
mazjag

I have a Saito .82 in mine...Its not a total powerhouse with a 14x6 prop...It will hover and pull out straight up with the .82, but not very fast...A .91 4oz. heavier would take shifting some stuff around as mine is a touch nose heavy with the .82..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: mazjag

I have a Saito .82 in mine...Its not a total powerhouse with a 14x6 prop...It will hover and pull out straight up with the .82, but not very fast...A .91 4oz. heavier would take shifting some stuff around as mine is a touch nose heavy with the .82..
That's kinda what I would have guessed: I had an .82 in a GP Reactor (similar wingspan@58" and length 58", less wing area) that weight 5lb10oz with the .82. It had decent power but was by no means ballistic. Thinkin' a Saito 100 might go better in this plane...

We have one for a club raffle at our swap meet in March, so if I win, I'll try that out!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:55 PM
mazjag

If you want to go that big on the engine you would have to use the rear servo mount location and not the pull-pull..The receiver pack would also need to be mount in the aft location I would think. With the 14x6 on the .82 its not real fast or powerful really..I just used what HH said to use..Pretty nice plane with nice hardware and good construction..no SFG yet...why the hell you would bring out a product and not have those ready is beyond me?? I think mine came in at 6.5 lbs....not a great plane if you want to do rolling harriers on the deck(I can`t) , but if you like some pattern moves with a hover or elevator or flat spin in the mix this one will work and looks good doing it..
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
liamtsmith

Do you guys think that my choice to put a Saito .91 in this airplane was a good idea? Iam saving up to purchase a radio right now, so it may be a while untill I can fly.

If the saito .91 works in this, im sure your O.S. 91 FX would. I would reccomend this plane!
ORIGINAL: bjackson1206

I have a os 91 fx laying around was thinking about buying this plane for it the 91 weighs 4 more oz than the saito 82 they say to put in it from what i see on spec pages they show other than that the 91fx is smaller in demensions i think it would be a rocket with this combo. any suggestions would be great thanks Ben
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
mazjag

dude, in the start you said to ask you any questions, but you seem to be asking them all...I flew that thing again with the Saito .82 and the 14x6 and its kinda just has enough power..not under, but not over for sure...a bigger engine would help that thing I think..Its just gonna be nose heavy like I said so when you build it think weight to the rear.. I don`t just hover with mine so its fine for me.. mount your rudder servo in the rear and mount your battery at the rear of the radio tray would be my best guess.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 AM
50mph

I am planning on using the E Flite 52 and go with EP. I will also use a 6s 5000 and should do the trick. It is a very nice and clean looking kit and as stated by H9 gone on a diet and made lighter then similar verssions.