Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Blitz813

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: Johnbalz

ORIGINAL: Blitz813

ORIGINAL: tmdz28

ORIGINAL: alexhunter

ORIGINAL: Blitz813

So... I'm no longer impressed with the HR cups. After a few short runs, say 15 minutes, the cups on the back side of tranny sheared right in half. The stock ones didn't even do that after like 20 runs,which included some 3s action. The HR cups never even seen 3s.
My HR cup just broke in half when I put the set screw in. Tightened the screw, heard a snap, and sure enough, clean break just like your picture.

Do they offer some kind of warranty? the edges of my front one chipped after literally 2 minutes run. Just wondering who should I call.
I am wondering this as well. They have an email address on their site: [email protected]

It may be of some service.

I had ahardened gearset for my Jato and one ofthegears come apart prematurely. I sent Hot Racing literally about a dozen e-mails to that address and never heard anything from them.
Nice, sounds like a real standup company. I'll take my chances with stock parts from now on, until more aftermarket parts are available from other companies.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 AM
gdiddy13

Just got my first snow run in. Awesome with paddles!

New HR rear uprights seem pretty strong too.

I did shim up the rear A-arms and uprights and that took out a lot of play. I used washer part # Z224. Definitely worth it  and makes it just a bit more solid, highly recommend it!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:44 AM
dspdrew

I'm new here, and I just got back into driving RC cars since the 80's. I've been reading through these posts and can see there is clearly a problem with the ESCs on the Savage XS. I bought mine from a local Hobby store here, and when running on a 3S, mine went up in smoke before I even took it out of the house. HPI replaced the whole truck since it even melted parts of the frame. I ran my replacement truck on a 3S for about 20 minutes and it went up in smoke again. Now I have to wait 'till Monday to get this thing replaced again. I don't understand how they can advertize this as being 3S capable...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
alexhunter

ORIGINAL: dspdrew

I'm new here, and I just got back into driving RC cars since the 80's. I've been reading through these posts and can see there is clearly a problem with the ESCs on the Savage XS. I bought mine from a local Hobby store here, and when running on a 3C, mine went up in smoke before I even took it out of the house. HPI replaced the whole truck since it even melted parts of the frame. I ran my replacement truck on a 3C for about 20 minutes and it went up in smoke again. Now I have to wait 'till Monday to get this thing replaced again. I don't understand how they can advertize this as being 3C capable...
Sorry about the bad luck. I've been running 3s with stock gearing and no issues at all.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Skylife

Hi guys .

i'm new on this site . but i love it

I'm so confused . What should i do ? i have only 500$ for Brushless Offroad truck choice .

Than i see HPI's new truck '' Savage XS Flux '' . My first impression is '' Wow , hell yeah '' But size matters .

Is it worth it or i must think about another truck ?

I'm Thankful for your help guys . i am waiting for advices . .

Old 01-16-2012, 08:04 AM
nitro-rob

I don't know if I would recommend this truck right now.  There seems to be ESC frying problems.  A secondary problem is the drive cups are soft and wear quickly and there are in general little to no parts available except from ebay chop shops.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 AM
nitro-rob

I don't think there is a trend here that 3s is the problem, many have blown up instantly on 2s.  You seem to either blow or not blow.  I don't know of anyone that drove a lot on 2s then switched to 3s and had it blow.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Skylife

Rob thanks for advices .Others ?

Anyone really happy with Savage XS Flux ? without any problems ; burning ESC's , broken parts ?

i can't buy 1/8 Savage Flux . Because it is too expensive and i think it isn't worth it 700$ .

i have only 500$ , what should i do guys ? Will i buy Savage XS ? Please help me .

Cheers

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
gdiddy13

I'm really happy with it. Just needs a few tweaks out of the box but has been solid for me. Nothing burning up, I may have gotten the later batch they sent out with some of those problems fixed.

Breaking parts is just part of the deal, with any rc IMO. The parts will come so don't go too crazy bashing it just yet. But I feel it's a strong little truck and just about the right size. I'm no pro and still somewhat new, but if I can handle it, anyone can.

ALHS thinks I'm stupid for buying HPI in general, but I'm not a traxxas fan. Because traxxas trucks seem prone to breaking, andpeople need to buy replacements (this is just my opinion), so they are buying parts, which equals more money for the owner.

Out of the box I like HPImuch better. Just one guy's opinion. Don't let the horror stories scare you off.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Skylife

Anyone really happy with Savage XS Flux ? without any problems ; burning ESC's , broken parts ?

i can't buy 1/8 Savage Flux . Because it is too expensive and i think it isn't worth it 700$ .

i have only 500$ , what should i do guys ? Will i buy Savage XS ? Please help me .

Cheers

I am very happy with my xs and would recommend it to anyone, I have had mine since sept and I have about 40 packs on it. I have only broken 2 shock bottoms and a drive cup in that time. I did swap out the esc after about 10 packs but there was nothing wrong with it i just wanted a better one in there. I have owned pretty much every 1/10 traxxas vehicle and hpi is way better in my opinion I have had my flux HP for over a year and have only had to replace a gear in the tranny.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM
nitro-rob

Its a great truck if you swap out the ESC.   The chassis is very solid.  The local hobby shop had three of the four they sold have ESCs die and the one of my friends melted as well.  Any other XS I know of are in here and the percentage of good ESCs out of the box hasn't been encouraging.  Mine was sold and it is apparently still working.

I'm not saying don't buy it but there is at least a reasonable chance you will be frustrated with a smoking ESC.  Buy the mmax pro and you are up to 500 with a battery.  If you can hold out for an HP or even a 2350 go for it, though.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 AM
Skylife

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Its a great truck if you swap out the ESC. The chassis is very solid. The local hobby shop had three of the four they sold have ESCs die and the one of my friends melted as well. Any other XS I know of are in here and the percentage of good ESCs out of the box hasn't been encouraging. Mine was sold and it is apparently still working.
I'm not saying don't buy it but there is at least a reasonable chance you will be frustrated with a smoking ESC. Buy the mmax pro and you are up to 500 with a battery. If you can hold out for an HP or even a 2350 go for it, though.
in my country ( not NY ) hobbyshop's price list is ;

Traxxas X0-1 2.4 Ghz with 2 x 5000 mah 25C 3S lipo = 1090 $
Hpi Savage Flux HP 2.4 Ghz with no battery = 900 $
Hpi Savage Xs Flux 2.4 Ghz with no battery = 400$

and i have only 600 $ cash . Maybe i can buy Flux HP or X0-1 by bank installments . if they are worth it

What should i do ? i don't want to smoking ESC . Rob , you are scared me

X0-1 is brand new and breath-taking ! ( but i dont have any pists near my home lol )

Please give me a logical advice . i'm so confused . :S

Cheers

Old 01-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Skylife

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

Cheers

I am very happy with my xs and would recommend it to anyone, I have had mine since sept and I have about 40 packs on it. I have only broken 2 shock bottoms and a drive cup in that time. I did swap out the esc after about 10 packs but there was nothing wrong with it i just wanted a better one in there. I have owned pretty much every 1/10 traxxas vehicle and hpi is way better in my opinion I have had my flux HP for over a year and have only had to replace a gear in the tranny.
Dear hereticgod ;

I see , you have got a Flux HP and XS Flux . What is your advice for me ? i tell my little confusion here .

if it is worth it i will buy Flux HP or X0-1 .

else i will buy Savage XS .

What should i do ? i have got limited money .
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
rokie1432

if you got little money, just buy the xs flux....

the flux HP is at least $700 - $800 to get it running.....and the X0-1 is even more expensive....for its speed, you'll not enjoy it for long before you need to spend on replacements parts from Traxxas again....

Or get a losi mini 8ight...cheaper than the xs flux
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 AM
nitro-rob

I agree on the losi mini 8ight, it seems to be a good value for a cool little truck.    I wouldn't overextend your finances for an RC - its just a hobby.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Skylife

i dont like that truck .

ok i'm gonna buy Savage XS flux .

i am new at Brushless systems . i dont have batteries and chargers anymore .

i want to order '' really good '' lipo batteries without any problems .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

is this fit ?

and give me a charger advice ? In my opinion ; IMAX B6AC Pro is good charger/balancer . What do you think about it ?

Thanks for every advice .
Old 01-17-2012, 06:57 AM
rokie1432

Turnigy Accucell 6 - charger......$25......
you will need to buy a 5A power supply for it though....just look for it at ebay...

As for lipo....i suggest you use 5000mah 40C 2S.....not 3S......
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Gangster_Elmo

i dont like that truck .

ok i'm gonna buy Savage XS flux .

i am new at Brushless systems . i dont have batteries and chargers anymore .

i want to order '' really good '' lipo batteries without any problems .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

is this fit ?

and give me a charger advice ? In my opinion ; IMAX B6AC Pro is good charger/balancer . What do you think about it ?

Thanks for every advice .
The battery you have listed in this ^ post will not fit, it is too big for the tray. I love my XS, it is fast enough on 2S to do anything I could want to do. I have jumped mine quite a bit and have only broken one lower shock mount, which was easy to fix because a replacement was included with the truck. I have had no problems with my ESC and have run at least 30 2S packs through it. I have a 3S and used it once to do a standing backflip in my living room, but after one flip, the ESC and motor were pretty warm, so I have not tried it again. The XS is plenty fast on 2S anyway.

The only real problem I have had is with axles breaking. I tried the CVD's but they snapped off faster than stock axles and are 3x the price. It would be a much better idea to buy three sets of stock axles than one set of CVD's. I recently received hardened parts from Hot Racing, but really haven't had time to use them much because the weather is too bad.

Overall, I would suggest this truck, it is really fun.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM
hereticgod

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

Cheers

Dear hereticgod ;

I see , you have got a Flux HP and XS Flux . What is your advice for me ? i tell my little confusion here .

if it is worth it i will buy Flux HP or X0-1 .

else i will buy Savage XS .

What should i do ? i have got limited money .
Well the X0-1 is only going to be good for on road driving the savage flux HP is the best monster truck you can buy in my opinion. The flux xs is also good but the esc's are hit and miss if you get the xs stick with 2s to be safe. If it were me and i could only get one truck I would get the flux HP. For batteries get gens ace some of the best batteries you can buy http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-5300-2s1p.html
Old 01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
209mark123

Today I noticed my fan on my esc has stopped working do you guys think that HPI will warranty this or could it be something I caused?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM
nitro-rob

How do you know it stopped working versus just isn't needed and didn't come on?

I still am not convinced 2s is safer than 3s for the potentially bad ESCs.  They've been blowing up on either voltage.   It just natural to think higher voltage is more dangerous but there isn't really any evidence for it to be voltage related.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM
209mark123

Iam new to electric and didnt know Ijust always had heard it kick on but today it wasnt so Ifigured it had blew up maby not Iwill check it out. It was pretty cold outside today maby that has some factor in it.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
nitro-rob

If its like the mamba max pro the fan comes on for a few seconds at startup.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:20 PM
209mark123

Its whatever comes stock in the XSthe fan does not come on at all I Used to be able to hear it when the truck came to a stop but from what Ican tell its not coming on at all.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM
hereticgod

ORIGINAL: 209mark123

Its whatever comes stock in the XS the fan does not come on at all I Used to be able to hear it when the truck came to a stop but from what I can tell its not coming on at all.
The fan on the vapor pro plugs into the the receiver not the esc so the fan will always be on. The fan may have crapped out on you or maybe something is stuck in the fan stopping it from spinning. The fan can easily be replaced for around $3 there is nothing wrong with your esc the fan is just part of the cover/case not the esc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.