Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
bhoges17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite P-47D Thunderbolt ARF .60-.91: Building & Mods

I have the Eflite retracts and between my friend and I we have both had problem. He had two burn out and my cycled on their own. I was thinking of going mechanical. Id want all metal ones. Air seems to be heavy and a pain with leaks. Whats the most reliable system to go with? As far as struts how are the ones from skylite?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A friend of mine has E-Flite retracts in one of his warbirds and he had the same issue with the gear cycling multiple times when the switch was flipped. He found that any amount of twist introduced into the retracts when mounting them would cause this issue. They worked perfectly on the bench but as soon as they were bolted in the airplane the problem would show up again. He made sure to mount the gear to the rails first and then installed the rails into the wing in order to be certain that the mounting rails were perfactly aligned so as not to twist the retract unit. However, he went back later and counter-sunk the holes so a flush screw could be used. Apparently the counter sinking was not dead nuts accurate and when the retracts were pulled down tight their was enough bind in them to trip the limit switches on the gear which caused them to cycle repeatedly. He went back to standard mounting screws and makes certain not to over-tighten them and the problem has dissappeared. Very touchy indeed!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the E-Flite retracts in my P-47 and have no problems in the testing I have done todate but have not yet flown the plane.

Bruce
Old 01-17-2012, 04:31 PM
7kings

I have the e-flite retracts on mine with RCSkylite struts and couldn't be happier. They installed pretty easily and have been very reliable. Highly recommended - I've gotten many compliments on them at the field.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 AM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I am using the Slimline pilot "Duke".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54112.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1717422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15028.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1717423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg94200.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1717424  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Doomking
My Feedback: (38)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure how a bust would work with the scale cockpit included in the kit. Do you just put it on top of the seat?
What about legs?
Thanks
Fabio
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Guys, Great Jug thread. I have been looking at the RCskylites site for a couple of months now, and I was curious which set of struts you guys are using. I have started to order the .60 to 1.20 size P-47 struts on a couple of occasions, but I did not know if they were the one's everyone is using. What set is being used by the guys in this thread. I think they look great for the price and will be using them with my 85 degree Lado retracts.
Thanks Guy's

Scott
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
7kings

I'm using the RCSkylites. They're great.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

7kings, Which set specifically are you using?
Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 AM
landeck

These are the ones I am using:

http://www.rcskylite.com/products/40...underbolt.html

Bruce
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
7kings

Yep - those are the ones I use too.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Doomking

Do those struts fit with the stock retracts or you need to buy e-flite?
Also, don' t you have space limitation for wheel clearance with stock wheels forcing you to go to a smaller and skinnier diameter ?
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
oldtyme

A quick question for you guys. I am assembling this model and when I fit the cowl up to the fuse, I noticed that it does not go over the fuse but just wants to mount in front of the fuse not leaving a gap but nice air exit as if the cowl flaps are open. Is that how your's all fit? I have the H9 ARF of this plane and the cowl just fit over the fuse............of course the TF rendition of this plane is much better. Anyway, comments would be welcome.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
7kings

ORIGINAL: Doomking

Do those struts fit with the stock retracts or you need to buy e-flite?
Also, don' t you have space limitation for wheel clearance with stock wheels forcing you to go to a smaller and skinnier diameter ?
Thanks for the help.
They will work with the stock retracts (although I did replace mine with e-flite). In terms of the wheels: yes, you will either need to purchase a little smaller size of wheel (I think 3") or else use a dremel to clearance a bit of the aluminum on the strut. One thing you will have to do is to trim some of the wheel well to provide clearance for the strut articulating arm (not sure the actual term for it, but it's the little triangle-shaped joint that protrudes from the strut at a perpendicular angle).

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Oldtyme,

Your observations are correct. The cowl should fit in such a way as to allow air to exit all around. The edges of the cowl are about a 1/4 inch past the mounting blocks on the upper surface and slightly less on the lower. This isn't enough for cooling air for the engine, but it will help.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I finally got my Jug all dialed in. I'm using a rim fire 120 on a CC ice 100 with two 6s 3300 batteries. Im getting 7+ mins per flight with 30% or more left on the batteries. She balances perfect with the ESC and rx batterie in the cowl. She files great and landings are a bries with 1/2 flaps. The E-Flight retracts are working great and holding up. What a fun bird this is.

TB
Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM
ultimate2

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

[8D]Congratulations buddy, you did a very good job on your Jug...¡¡¡¡
Manolo.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
7kings

Kudos on your build!

I'm so happy that I chose the TF jug as my first warbird. She flies like she's on rails and is extremely predictable from takeoff to landing, and everything in between. There's never a time when she does something that catches me by surprise (unless it's my fault, of course). I use full flaps for landing, but that's just because I'm lazy, mostly.

The only downside is that I rarely fly anything else anymore...
Old 01-31-2012, 05:10 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Here is a video a friend made the others day of my jug.

TB

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imlfV5ItGhs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 PM
P47Tbolt
My Feedback: (20)

I am not sure how a bust would work with the scale cockpit included in the kit. Do you just put it on top of the seat?
What about legs?
Thanks
Fabio
I used the scale cockpit and just hot glued the bust to the seat.I also added a support from the back of
the seat to the cockpit behind it for extra support.you have to look real close to see there are no legs.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I'm getting back into gassers after having flown only electrics for the last 7-8 years. I just bought the P-47 ARF yesterday and a Supertiger G-90 engine to go with it. I'm going to finish a giant Ugly Stick and fly it first to be sure that I haven't forgotten how to fly a big plane.

I looked through this thread and didn't see that anyone else had used a G-90 engine? It seems like a natural for this plane in that it can turn a large prop at a little slower rpm and produce over 2 hp. I'm going to put the engine on the Ugly Stick and make sure it's well broken in before putting it in the P-47.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Doomking

One question to you folks that are using a gasoline engine to power this bird.
I am trying to install the stock tank with the included hardware, with a gasoline friendly stopper as well as 1/8" diameter Tygon fuel line.
The problem I am having is that the Tygon fuel line has the same diameter of the tanks metal 1/8" plumbing an it does not stay on secure enough even with zip ties or fuel line clamps.
I purchased some 3/32" fuel line, no the Tygon brand from my local lawn mower store and it is too soft and I am afraid that if I put such piece in the tank with the clunk attached to it, it will fall back and kink itself.
What kind of gasoline fuel line did you guys used?
Is the Tygon brand selling at Tower 3/32" diameter thicker and more rigid just like the 1/8" diameter one?
Anyone has experience with small gas engine plumbing?
I fly giant scale and this weekend warrior is bit small for me and I usually don't deal with such small diameter fuel lines.
Thanks for all the help.
Fabio
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM
oldtyme

One question to you folks that are using a gasoline engine to power this bird.
I am trying to install the stock tank with the included hardware, with a gasoline friendly stopper as well as 1/8'' diameter Tygon fuel line.
The problem I am having is that the Tygon fuel line has the same diameter of the tanks metal 1/8'' plumbing an it does not stay on secure enough even with zip ties or fuel line clamps.
I purchased some 3/32'' fuel line, no the Tygon brand from my local lawn mower store and it is too soft and I am afraid that if I put such piece in the tank with the clunk attached to it, it will fall back and kink itself.
What kind of gasoline fuel line did you guys used?
Is the Tygon brand selling at Tower 3/32'' diameter thicker and more rigid just like the 1/8'' diameter one?
Anyone has experience with small gas engine plumbing?
I fly giant scale and this weekend warrior is bit small for me and I usually don't deal with such small diameter fuel lines.
Thanks for all the help.
Fabio
Fabio,

There is a lot of info in the Gas Engines threads and this is a thread I started: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10930918/tm.htm

I am using the Viton tubing on the inside of the tank and also using barbs and clips to hold the tubing on. I'm also using a weighted felt clunk. On the outside I'm using the blue tubing mentioned in the thread by taildraggerrc.......again with barbs and clips. I'm also buying some Tygothane tubing from McMaster-Carr which seems to be superior to regular Tygon. It comes with 1/8" inside diameter and only 1/32" walls making it only 3/16" outside dia. One of the guys says he used it for several years and it is still flexible and at about 0.35 a foot, it's affordable.

Hope that helps,
Andy
Old 02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Doomking

Thanks Andy for the reply.
I will certainly look into that thread.
One question.....I was trying a few days ago to solder a barb to my 1/8" brass tube with no luck. No matter what I did the solder didn't stick of flow in position.
Any suggestion to how to solder brass items together?
Thanks
Fabio
Old 02-06-2012, 08:08 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: radfordc

I'm getting back into gassers after having flown only electrics for the last 7-8 years. I just bought the P-47 ARF yesterday and a Supertiger G-90 engine to go with it. I'm going to finish a giant Ugly Stick and fly it first to be sure that I haven't forgotten how to fly a big plane.

I looked through this thread and didn't see that anyone else had used a G-90 engine? It seems like a natural for this plane in that it can turn a large prop at a little slower rpm and produce over 2 hp. I'm going to put the engine on the Ugly Stick and make sure it's well broken in before putting it in the P-47.
radfordc

I had the kit version of this plane with the g90 - it flew the plane very well. used an apc 14-6 prop, 10% omega fuel, fox rc long glow plug (I throw away the stock plug). The g90 needs break-in for about an hour to seat the ring. Be sure to get he fuel tank height within 3/8 inch of the g90 carb inlet. I used either a slimline or bisson pitts muffler - I got the largest volume muffler they had available, which gives the best tone to the engine.

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.