Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Pull - Pull rudder cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Blacksheep 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull - Pull rudder cables

I have a .32 size, 4lbs. electric plane. ( tail wheel ) I'm using a Hitec HS82MG servo with a conventional type pull pull set-up. My problem is, the rudder cables (thread, string) supplied with the kit ( Great Planes ) keep stretching and become loose after just a few flights. My favorite place to fly is the local high school's practice football field. The grounds are fairly well kept, could be a little nicer, could be A LOT worse. I like to FLY, not taxi around and I fly a fairly mild, sport type style. Not a lot of hard yankin and bankin. So here's the question, What to use for the rudder cables? DuBro has a tiny steal cable, but some people say this can cause radio interference. Someone else suggested dental floss, really ?? I would appreciate any suggestions or comments on this matter. THX BLKSHP1
Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 PM
flyinsolo11

Default RE: Pull - Pull rudder cables

Piano wire?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

Head down to Wal-mart and look for "Spiderwire" with the fishing stuff. Doesn't stretch!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spiderwire...Green/16880416

-Al
Old 01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Blacksheep 1

I just wanted to say thanks to Chasing Fear for the reply. My wife left the house just after I made my post and was going to Walmart. I was able to catch her still in the store, give her the info you shared with me, and now the Spyderwire is in the basket and will be in my hands tonight! How cool is that! THX BLKSHP1
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Chasing Fear
My Feedback: (1)

You're certainly welcome! It should work well. It's also great to wrap spars, etc., when building kits.

-Al
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many people use braided cable, thin solid wire, and solid .093 rod for controlling rudders and elevators without ever having issues with radio interference.

I still fly 72 mhz and run a wire antenna from the receiver.
I run it outside the fuselage and back to the tail.

Two of my favorite materials to make pull-pulls with are thin brass wire (.030) and the thinner gearshift cables from bicycles. Both solder easily. I've also used braided cable used on the back of heavier picture frames.

I've heard this story about radio interference from pushrods and cables but never seen evidence of it. Having said that, I never allow one metal pushrod touch another, or allow pull-pull systems crossing to rub off each other.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most fishing line will work fine and doesn't stretch. On my large models I use Berkley's stainless steel braided nylon coated line. On my smaller models I've even used monofilament line with no problems with stretch or degradation with age, some now in use for 3 plus years. I would NOT use any single strand or solid wire as it will be highly subject to failure over time for a multitude of causes. Metal cables will not cause interference, metal to metal contact will only cause problems if it can vibrate or rub against another metal. Having a solid contact with no vibration and no interference occurs. While at the fishing line counter, also pick up the proper size ferrules to crimp your connections, very easy and reliable way to do them.