Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage Xl Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 AM
bbayton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Xl Questions

Hey so I've been out of R/C for awhile but I'm trying to get back into it. I got stationed in Korea about 7 months ago and have finally decided to buy a truck. I purchased a Savage Xl roller thats in new condition. It will need a Radio w/reciever, Engine and exhaust. After reading all the posts on here I've narrowed my choices down on engines to the LRP 28, LRP 30, K5.9, Picco 28, and lastly the F4.6. I will mainly be bashing the truck once I get back to the states in a few months. I was pretty good at tuning when I had the trucks before but its been awhile. Im looking for a powerful engine with good all around power but also can be tuned and hold the tune fairly easy. Also as far as radio gear I was looking at the Aitronics MX-3 and the Spektrum DX2S. Ovbiously the Spektrum is a better radio but would I really need all the extra features of that radio if I'm not racing? Any opinions would be appreciated on how I should go about building this truck. I might have narrowed the engines down to the LRP 30 and Picco 28. I noticed that the carbs are turned a different way and the throttle linkage wont connect. Are you suppose to flip the carbs around to make them connect. Might be a noob question but like I said I've been out of rc for awhile
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Savage Xl Questions

Yes, the carbs can easily be flipped.  Loosen up the pinch bolt and turn them...but be careful, you do not want to damage the Oring(s) on the neck of the carb, so be gentle.  I like to take the carb all the way off and reposition as oppose to just turning it to be sure I dont damage.

As far as engines go....you have 2 great choices.  You will probably get split recommendations for both of them.  I run an LRP30 and love it, but have never run a Picco28 so cannot comment.  There is not a wrong choice between those 2.  Pick one and go with it in confidence.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:51 AM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

Agreed. Out of the list the picco and the lrp 30 are probably the best engines. I also run an lrp 30 in my savage and it is my favorite motor I have ever run in that truck.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 AM
bbayton

Yep I think I'm sold on the LRP 30. Now I just need to find a decent radio. Im debating between the Airtronics MX-3 and the Spektrum DX2S. The MX-3 is cheaper so I may just get that
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
woodwore69

I love my mx-3
Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM
bbayton

Only problem with the MX-3 is it requires 8 doubles A's
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bbayton

Only problem with the MX-3 is it requires 8 doubles A's
Why is that a problem? I still use an MX-3 and love it..
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
woodwore69

They make a rechargeable pack for it . It has a charge port built in
Old 01-23-2012, 06:15 AM
bbayton

I just don't like having to replace 8 batteries but its no big deal. Does anyone know if the MX-3 reciever has a short antenna like how the spektrums radios have?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bbayton

I just don't like having to replace 8 batteries but its no big deal. Does anyone know if the MX-3 reciever has a short antenna like how the spektrums radios have?
All of the receivers I have for my MX-3 have long antenna's, I just tuck them under the body.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:30 AM
woodwore69

You need the mx-3x if you want the short antenna . They are 2.4 g