iCharger just blew up and took out other charger

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

iCharger just blew up and took out other charger

Old 10-21-2011, 12:03 PM
dando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: iCharger just blew up and took out other charger

Hello, guys! Sorry my reply is a bit off-topic, but I'm looking for a capable charger for F3A setup. I don't mind if I'd have to charge a pack as 5S2P 10000mAh or as 10S1P 5000mAh pack and also most probably I'd charge at 1C. I'd prefer buying from Hobbyking, but am open to other offers, too. I'm thinking about the iCharger 3010B for now, but would really like to hear your opinions on this one. I was thinking that if I buy one of these, I might be albe (power supply permitting) to charge a couple of 10S 5000mAh packs in parallel.
I'm willing to spend under 250$ incl. shipping for a charger. For now, I may be charging packs at home, because I don't have a steady power source for the field.

Thanks in advance!

Nickolay
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
jhatton

I had something similar happen to my first icharger when I accidentally put to high a voltage on the input side... I bet somehow the discharge from one charger caused a spike on the input side of the other charger as they were wired together... this high input voltage fried both chargers. Mine made a bright flash and let out the bad smoke.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

My charters were replaced under warranty and have been very stable since. Chargers did good and saved bateries didn't cause fire. Have been great about letting me know when things are not right highly recommend, based on price point and features, including safety.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

I've been using the 3010 since it first came out. You can charge 2 5S 5000 paks in parallel up to 30 amps providing you have the power sources to do it. With a power factor correcting supply you can do 30amps with a honda 1000. This type supply will keep the amps pulled by the ps under the 8amp breakers. Without the pf correction you'll be limited to 2C with the smaller generators as anything over will usually trip the breaker. I usethe 3010 primarily as a field charger as it's farily small in size.

At home I use the PL8. I like this charger over the 3010. I just feel its a more stable unit, andbalances better. My 3010 has done some funky things now and then, such as not terminating charge, coming up with errors, thatI have no idea why. That said its never harmed any of my paks. The PL8 costs a little more, a little larger in size, but worth looking into.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my fma 10s chargers. Over 2 years of use, only one cooling fan busted. FMA sent me a replacement without any charge.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:19 AM
jayjayneri

I have had great experiences with the Hyperion Duo chargers. I have 2 of them, an older version and the latest model. I don't remember the model numbers at the moment. I also heard good things about the cell pro. Both work great as far as I know. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:21 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an original 1010b and a pair of 1010b+ models. They have been bullet proof and charge everything from my model batteries up to and including a deep cycle battery for my boat. If I had need for 4 chargers I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: petec

I have an original 1010b and a pair of 1010b+ models. They have been bullet proof and charge everything from my model batteries up to and including a deep cycle battery for my boat. If I had need for 4 chargers I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Me too. I've been charging motorcycle batteries, power tool batteries, basically anything rechargeable. If I need more chargers, I'll get the iCharger again. With 3-4 battery packs I don't have a need for super high current charging - 1C works just fine to keep me flying all day (running a pair of chargers, that is).

EPBuddy.com is a US distributor of these chargers - great support and service (he's in Ohio. too), and great prices on supplies. He took care of my issues in a matter of days - replacements sent with warranty and USPS Priority mail shipping.

Very happy with this setup.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 AM
dando

Thank you for the replies, guys!
On another forum I got the following reply:
The more cells in series, the harder the balancing problem and the longer the charge cycle will take to complete. I would recommend charging as 5s2p rather than 10s1p.
What is your experience with charging as a 10S pack versus reconnecting each time to 2x5S in parallel? Any problems in the long-run with the balance of the packs? I'm really considering getting the 3010B, but if others with different chargers comment I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!
Nickolay
Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Jetdesign

I don't know where you heard that, but EVERYONE is charging their packs as 10S series.

The iChargers are great, no issues since I posted this topic. I have 2 of these chargers, so I can charge two 10S packs (really four 5S packs) in about 40 minutes (at 1C).

Zero issues after 2 years of electric flight, charging at the field, charging at home, etc. Just charge as 10s.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The majority of DC supplies other than rechargeable batteries are not designed to "sink" current from a load. The addition of a properly sized diode in the output can prevent problems if a charger tries to dump energy back into the DC supply.
If two or more chargers are to be connected, a diode is needed between each charger and the DC supply. This prevents one charger from dumping energy into another, or the DC supply.
A possible source of suitable diodes, beyond the electronic suppliers might be an alternator repair shop. Given the current capability of the DC supply used, diode heat sinks might be in order.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 PM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I don't know where you heard that, but EVERYONE is charging their packs as 10S series.
No, not EVERYONE ...

Charge/discharge/cycle packs in parallel

PowerLab 8 can charge, discharge or cycle up to nine LiPo or A123 packs in parallel.

Parallel operations can save lots of time, but you must follow these rules

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Same here. . . parallel charge with PL8's. . . just plug 'em up and hit weld charge.