Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one still using NiMHi batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Am I the only one still using NiMHi batteries?

The whole world seems to have jumped aboard the LiPo choo-choo.

Those batteries worry me since you seem to have to handle them with kid gloves and need
charging units that have more intelligence than most of us. Not only the batteries themselves
are potentially dangerous but I've read even some high end chargers themselves have been known to
burst into flames, specifically the pricier models.

I've had local club members tell me that the Li Nano Phophate batteries are safer to charge but
I remain a hard sell and haven't yet tried them. I almost purchased a charger and pack some while
back but was diverted.

My batteries serve a dual purpose. They are the power behind my 1/16 fleet but also double as the power to
run the electrical systems of my 1/10 scale models; rc system, starter, gear selector, turret, etc... So while
I'd like more available power to drive especially the starters with as much power as these batteries produce
I really need to build in better fault controls; something I've glossed over. In another recent post of mine I alluded
to an electrical fault I recently encountered which woke me up from that fault complacency but to consider
using any Li -based battery I've got to rework ALL my 1/10 models' electrical systems.

I never read any accounts of forum members' efforts to prevent battery related issues; I know my own 1/16 scale model
have none. With the increasing incidence of even partially metal models in 1/16 scale shouldn't fault protection become more
important??

What do the followers here say?

Jerry

Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Am I the only one still using NiMHi batteries?

I have two 5 amp hour NiMH packs, I like them, nice and simple, reliable and powerful. I used LiPo for my aircraft, which benefit from the weight and burst power.

My tanks generally don't require the 'benefits' of Lipo, and definitely don't need the drawbacks such as over-drawing and cell balance issues.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

No, I still use them. As a matter of fact I have had discussions with tankers about the LiFePo4 and LiPo's but until I go full force into battling I think I should stick with what I know and what I can afford. Replacing everything to be on board with any new system is not cost effective right now, especially since I have not battled in many years full time.

~ Jeff
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Green Amphibian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Li-Po cut off circuit from Novak in my tanks using Li-Po's. Not cheap, but much better than seeing everything go POOF.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Darryl Usher

I use 5000 packs in my tanks. Leave them in and charge at 4 amps.
Darryl
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

You ain't the only one. This dinosaur uses them too. Lipo may be the 'wave of the future', but I never heard of a NiMH pack catching fire. Lipo, different story. For the foreseeable future, NiMH will be what's in my tanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
bigford

lipos and brushless [:@] i'm old school if i need more power
i use two batterys
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use both.  As for damaging or over drawing a LiPo in a tank, I've heard both sides of the story that the Tamiya electronics shut down at
6 volts so if using a 2S LiPo you can't overdraw it.  I've never had it even get close to overdrawing and after running a couple battles still had
something like 3.4V a cell.  I've also never had any LiPo's flame up on me or heat/puff up. Not to mention you can get 2S LiPo's for under $20 these days so if one does go south you can chuck it and grab another for cheap.   LiPo's have gotten much more safe and dependable
since even 3 years ago.  All that being said if your happy with your battery performance and length of run time I don't see the need to change
unless you just want to get into it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
kclank

i use NiMH batteries for all of my larger tanks. i opt for the LIPOs when size and weight are a significant issue. The nano phosphates are supposedly more stable but the size, weight, and performance have not justified the cost to me yet. Tine will change that position i am sure.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Pershing.Driver

I use NMiH as well. Had good luck with both Cheap Battery Packs.com and Venom Power 5000's
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
SNOWTANK

I use the 7.2 v Dreadnought 3000 which provide plenty of juice even in subzero temperatures. I wouldn't mind trying the 5000 nimh for my heavier tanks with the upgraded suspensions and metal tracks for longer run times.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:25 PM
DirtyBird69

yeah I use Nimh's as well(tenergy 3000's/w deans)....... call me an old fart but I was just getting use to Nimh and had replaced all my packs with such and also newpeak chargers, when all these dam Li-po's came out. For me running pretty much cars and tanks the need for Li-po's is minimal at best...plus the added cost of special chargers,cell tenders,charging bags....the whole thing just seems a bit rediculous for somethinga simple as charging a dam battery pack!(which they've been doing successfully without Li-po's forDECADES now lol...). I'd be happier if they came out with better Nimh cells : for instance if a normal 5000mah 7.2v stick pack would only need 4 cells as opposed to 6. Nothing too radical but still a major improvement without the need for all the specialized charging equipment....
p.s. I also don't like brushless motors( I can totally see them for planes and helicopters) but for anything else they areover-rated and over-priced.(I'll probably get a lot of scowels for that comment lol) I still competetivelyrace rc cars (F1, 2WD offroad modified) and runnear the top of the pack all day longagainstcars with comparably poweredbrushless and Lipos....and that's using a "stick" radio(screw pistol grips AND all that2.4GHZ nonsense!)...that will really let you know how old school I am....but at least I have a BEC lol.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
modelbob71

I'm another old fart and I have been using the same batteries and chargers that came with my HLtanks since the first Tiger came out
years and years ago. I've only bought two 300 mah batteries in that time just to try them out. With attention and decent care I get about
40 minutes run time which is plenty for me. I have 13 HLs and 4 Tamiyas.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
takevin

Im new to this, as far as tanks but Im sticking old school and bought 3 5500 mah batteries for my tanks. What is a good charger that I can charge several for mah batteries especially these? I have always used fast chargers old school for my batteries but dont want to cut the life short on these.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like you I use NiMHs...Tenergy 4500s.  I have the same worries about LiPos and I can't afford the cost of changing batteries, charging systems, etc.

Plus, they add weight, which is good when you want a tank to crawl through the grass rather than float on it.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
DirtyBird69

ORIGINAL: takevin

Im new to this, as far as tanks but Im sticking old school and bought 3 5500 mah batteries for my tanks. What is a good charger that I can charge several for mah batteries especially these? I have always used fast chargers old school for my batteries but dont want to cut the life short on these.
You'll definately want a "peak" charger....I use the Prophet Plus II,it's got AC/DC, built in cooling fan,3 charging rates, LED indicator as well as an audible alarmto let you know when your battery is topped off...Rock solid,simple and cheap($45 U.S.)...PERFECT!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some 7000 ma NiMh packs I use. I don't see a need for the Lipo in a tank, and fomr the responses it seems as if you are far form being alone in this.

Cheers.

Dan
Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Using 2 cell Life (Lithium Iron Phosphate) in all our tanks. We run our tanks too much to worry about cycling up Nickel based batteries before battle days, as we usually travel with 7 or 8 each time, and then rotate them from battle to battle. I usually would start cycling up batteries on a Tuesday to have all 8 ready for Sat...and I was using 4 chargers that cycle the NiMH 3 times each to ensure a full charge.

Life batteries don't have the explosion hazard Lipo do, and like all lithiums, will hold their charge for many months. They're not affected by the heat either, so running them in Phoenix or SoCal is ideal.

We top up our batteries only when needed, and have a much longer life cycle than NiMHs. Life batteries cost about the same as NiMH, you do need a modern charger though

Lipo...would be great but for the fire hazard, as they've got more power. We use them in our radios. One charge last 4 or 5 battle days.

Running Life batteries about 1.5 years now in our tanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 PM
CountChocula

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

Since you turned me onto LiPo's, I don't ever see going back to nickel. The power for such a small package can't be beat. Nothing against nickel really as I still use them in my T-34 (but plan to switch to LiPo when they finally can't hold a charge) but for smaller vehicles like my 250/9 and my next project, the physical size of the battery matters. I paid less than $10 each for the 2 small batteries I got and since I'm still new to the LiPo world, I keep my eye on the batteries when they charge and I'm pretty impressed with my charger so I'm hoping not to burn the house down! =)

I say whatever works!

Dave
Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only use nihms. Mainly cost wise but I just dont trust the lipos in my expensive tanks. All it takes is to drop a lipo and crack it witout knowing it and it could be catastrophic.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

your making lipo battries something they are not if handled correctly. nimh and nicad battries are ok for tx and rx ,but will never deliver the power and performance of li-po. use the proper charger ,don't short them out. i have dropped them many times didn't do a dam thing. if your scared to use them you missing out on alot. i don't fly electric ....but i have a stryker delta wing thats BNF. i enjoy it very much. there is no way it could fly without li-po power. enough nicads or nimhs would weigh more than the plane does. you still wouldn't get the 35-40 amps out of them that the motor pulls. once you fly li-po and brushless motors, you'll throw your brushed motors and nicads in the trash............RON
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM
rc74
My Feedback: (6)

I switched every thing over to A123 Life 2s 2300 two years ago, best thing I ever did. (Radical RC or Electo Dynamics Inc) No cycling, hold charge over the winter, fast charge. Check them out! Ron
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
DirtyBird69

Your right about that...I'm sure Li-Po's are they way everything will go, but LI-po's still have some issues to work out as they really need to get the charging process more simplified and less expensive. But the way things progress ,just when I get into Li-Po's then someother damtype of battery will hit the market and I'm not going through that again....especially when Nimh's are time tested,simple and cheap.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I tried NiMHi batteries in several of my radios and found they didn't last as long as NiCads. I have since switched back to NiCads and have had no more issues. I have no interest in LiPo batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.