Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What is with Marketplace engine prices?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What is with Marketplace engine prices?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is with Marketplace engine prices?

I thinkRC hobby people are the cheapest and stingiest people in the world. They don't want to pay for anything. They want half off brand new items, then they want more discounts if they buy two or three other items! Really!!!??? Do you go into the food store, or the mall and try that act on those merchants? You will get laughed out of the store! Most likely, they will call security.

Do you guys also go into your hobby store and try that half off routine there too? Are you nuckin futs? If you want to pay 50 cents on the dollar for a brand new item, then you don't really want it. To top it off, the seller doesn't need to sell it at the price you want. It's for sale at the price the seller wants. Buyers don't make the prices. I'd rather burn it than sell it for half off. I'd rather see tears in your eyes when you see that you can't have it. Most of the time, the item sells at the price I want because someone really wants it. It's either my price or the retail price. I don't need to sell anything for 50 cents on the dollar. That's just stupid. I may not sell it right away, but within a month or two, I get my price. Like I wrote, either pay me an save some money, or pay full retail PLUS tax.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Bozart, you are doing exactly whatthe op did. Get off, spout off or whatever you do, but to offer somebody half of what they are asking for it, your asking for a hit in the face litterly. We need more people like you, that drives the economy , right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
FLAPHappy

Es, I forgot to ask youa simple question. Why is it people sell Antiques for 100's thousands or Millions of dollars? Is it because they held onto it for awhile?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM
FLAPHappy

Right on Bobby, I agree with your concept 100%. I would keep it or give it away to a good friend before selling something listed as new for the price I list it for to some of these clowns on RCU.. These guys think it's a give me that, I won't pay your price. Just Suck it. They loose everytime.
Then they have the audasity to post about how unfair the seller was, give me a break. I'll shut em down every chance I get.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

funny how some will whine when a seller does not accept a low ball offer! [:-]
LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

Bozart, you are doing exactly whatthe op did. Get off, spout off or whatever you do, but to offer somebody half of what they are asking for it, your asking for a hit in the face litterly. We need more people like you, that drives the economy , right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLAPHappy,

Have you ever heard of "tongue in cheek" or sarcasm? Now go back and read my post.

Kurt

P.S. Just to make it obviously clear - I'm on your side.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
cheezer1222
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BobbyMcGee

Do you go into the food store, or the mall and try that act on those merchants? You will get laughed out of the store! Most likely, they will call security.
Your analogy isn't quite correct. It'd be more like asking 50% off brand new food or merchandise from your neighbor who bought the food or merchandise from a food store or mall. Your analogy would work if I were asking 50% off from a place like tower hobby.

Do you guys also go into your hobby store and try that half off routine there too?
I could if I wanted to. They probably wouldn't sell it to me, but I could certainly ask. I know for a fact that both hobby stores that I go to, are willing to wheel and deal on their prices. I've seen people, first hand, who have haggled prices down. Not to the extent of half off, but they still got a nice discount.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:48 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: grimbeaver

Though I have never bought or sold anything on RCU I imagine it's the same logic one uses with Craigslist. Always ask a few dollars higher then what you want because hardly anyone will offer you your asking price. If you give a low ball offer and they actually politely decline why not offer a little higher if you want it. The fact that they replied says your offer was possibly not too far off and if you go just a little higher you might get it. If you are not willing to go higher then take your money elsewhere.
Not always. Isold a several things over the last 6 months or so. While Iwas doing so Iregularly got low ball offers via email or formal offers when I forgot to turn on the low ball shield. Ireplied to all offers. On the low balls, Icurtely explained that Iwas not willing to give the items away and suggesting that if they came back with a real offer I'd listen. When Igot reasonable offers that were below what Iwanted, Iwould usually counter offer. Craigslist was worthless, Ilisted multiple identical items in an ad and clearly said the price was for each and one joker asked if the price was for all of them. Ididn't waste my time there again.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

The model airplane market is just catching up to the classic car market except with a little different twist. The classic car market represents a "blast from the past" for those people who owned cars from the earlier years when they were much simpler and fun to drive. I also like the classic cars and used to restore them. I have a few left but don't have much time for them anymore. The classic car represent a time when cars had personalities not just a bunch of useless electronics and options that are of no value. The cars of today will never be classics for one reason they won't last that long due to the electronics in them. When the electronics fail the car is ready for the junk yard regardless of age.

Now on to model airplanes, the ARFs of today are great for those that don't know how to build and they are great for the retailers since they have a large profit margin. In my opinion there is nothing great about an ARF it is just a factory built plane with marginal attention to detail that will get you in the air quickly. When you assemble an ARF there is nothing to be learned about building and certainly no pride in workmanship. Since kits are becoming obsolete in favor of ARFs then those modelers that want to build have to pay more for the older kits. Likewise with engines, I personally have many engines from the early 80's and compared to today's engines they are far superior. The engines manufactured in the 80's are for the most part much better than similar engines of today. Today's engines lack power and quality and are not good for much more than a paper weights after they have been used for a while. So you see why people want more for the older equipment than new equipment it's because the older equipment is far superior. Until this changes the cost of the older items will just continue to escalate.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

IT'S A FREE MARKET!you ask what you want.if its a stupid price so be it...I have sold many items and since I really dont want the stuff try to be reasonable and fair.if someone asks for it at a price I am unwilling to let it go for I reject the bid without insult!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Two reputable companies listed on Google shopping for $499. That's only $49 less than your $450. And they are not selling on RCUniverse.
I was going off the typical LHS price, but alright. I was listing no shipping too.

But hey, if a fellow wants to spend and extra $50 when they don't need to for the same thing, more power to them. Doesn't make sense to me but alright.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 AM
silverman1

Hey we live in America, the land of the free where a man can still go from rags to riches, where almost anything is possible. If the seller's price offends you get over it. If the buyer's offer offends you get over it. We live in a free market economy. I have had low ball offers big deal, I just don't respond back or just reject the person's offer.

If it were an ideal world we would all get everything we wanted, we would all own beautiful homes, drive exotic automobiles, and have super models as wives, but reality is not everything is perfect. Live life and be happy and don't worry about the small stuff!
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: clarkj

thats why i buy most stuff on ebay and only new. most of the time i dont win but every once in a while it feels good to get something dirt cheap

Yes you can find great deals on E-bay. Buying used however we take a chance especially buying from E-bay Quickdrops. I just recently won the bid and bought a 1995 O.S.FS91 II Surpass wo/pump for $140 bucks including shipping.

E-bay photos for those who care:

Engine after a little work done on it a few hour after I got it in the mail. I had just started the process of getting it cleaned and polished:

The engine sat more than it was used, with a little cleaning, polishing and valve adjustment she looks almost brand new, and the comression is excellent. The inside of the engine only had old glow gunk and varnish and very slight light dusting of rust that wiped right out with a rag. Bearings were in very good condition with no grit feel or play. The engine now has after-run inside the engine until I'm ready to use it.

I bought my GP Fokker Dr1 including engine for $300 on RCU Market Place. The engine was a 1984 O.S. FS120 Before Surpass (looks like a Saito). The engine alone goes for $250 on E-bay!

Originally the owner of my Fokker Dr1 wanted $400 for it and wanted local pick up only. I waited almost a year watching the ad, then he dropped the price down to $300. He asked me if I wanted the radio and receiver and I said no. I drove 400 miles to pick it up. Most of you know the rest of the story because I wrote about the rebuild here at RCU about a year ago.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

People will pay for a discontinued ARF, Kit and they will pay for a classic glow engine. In this hobby a lot of things have become collectors items. If I were to sell my DR1 including the O.S.91FX-ringed engine I'd sell it for about $2,000 because of all the work I've done to it. It cost me $300 for the plane, $70 on gas to pick up the plane, $240 for all the Solartex I had to buy, Wheels and landing gear added up to about $110, Servos and battery about $120, engine is about another $250 because it is in new condition and only used about 4x's. Guns cost me $10, pilot bust $12, Fiberglass Specialty Cowl $37.00. Figuring on labor including paint add another $200 (that's including all the scratch built parts and details. Special feature, the pilot bust has a servo in it so the head moves with the rudder.

Total: $1,349

That only leaves me $651 in profit and that's not much to be able to buy another plane and make another one of that kind, and I have to use some of that profit for shipping costs. It took me a year to rebuild the aircraft into the work of art that it is.

But I'm not selling it, my wife would kill me because she fellin love with it because of all the work I did put into it.

Am I greedy? No, just reasonable. That's the problem with this generation, they all want something for nothing and look at the cost and not the work that went into it. If you don't like the cost of something than just don't buy it. Look around or wait until you find the deal that fits your budget. Everyone need to make some type of profit unless we just want to get rid of it. It's called Capitalism and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Buying engines is the same way. I own 8 of them, 2 are classics so I should know.

Pete
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM
ES CONTROL

We need to think differantly. THIS IS A HOBBY! To give has more reward than to make a killing on that used engine.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

We need to think differantly. THIS IS A HOBBY! To give has more reward than to make a killing on that used engine.

That's why I donate to JR Hawks (A Kids AMA Chartered Club for District II ) the stuff I don't use. What I do use, or what I can make a nice profit on I do so. I wouldn't expect someone to sell me a $800 dollar engine for nothing less. What I do is I submit a Google search on the engine or plane to see what it is worth, then talk to my LHS what they think the engine is worth. I know enough people that collect old engines that give me a idea of what price it should be, either in new or used- excellent, good, fair and poor condition. There are many hobbies with-in this hobby. I like collecting old engines and restoring them. I also like talking about the old engines. Some collect old radios, kits and ARFs. Some collect AMA memorabilia, and old magazines.

Sometimes the deals come and some don't. It's like collecting old cars and the auctions and base price tags go high. Let me reiterate- if the prices seem to be too high, look around and wait until you find the price that's reasonable. Don't condem a person trying to make a modest profit.

This hobby isn't cheap and we knew that before ever getting involved, so some of us learned to be a little smarter. That way we don't have to be so broke all the time. If I don't like the price, I don't buy it. That simple, it does no good to gripe because it doesn't change one darn thing, nobody likes a whiner. IMHO

I'm starting to think this a "Troll Thread" more than being really useful to anyone other than personal entertainment purposes.

Pete
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 AM
ES CONTROL

I admire what your doing.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe "modest profit" is the key here. How would one consider modest profit be added to retail prices? I think a buyer must be cautious. I remember once at an auction sale a Black and Decker hand grinder went for 150. The hand grinder only sold for 127 brand new with a full warranty! The used grinder was worth about 70 dollars. The seller made out like a bandit and the buyer got stuck because of his ignorance. Maybe the buyer was willing to pay the extra instead of buying new with warranty. Who knows why he paid that price?

That is modest profit over retail value, yet in my eyes I would see a used piece of equipment as being much less than retail. Most in RC don't expect to get more than they paid for something at least I hope they don't. I guess we all see reasonable pricing in a different light. My conscience would bother me should I gouge someone like some try to do on RCU marketplace and other places. I find it wrong to do such.

I will give you another example I recently ran into. The simple walbro carb metering vavle spring that sells for less than .50 cents retail. I have seen some shops gouge folks for almost 3 dollars for that spring! I remember sending an email to one vendor and asking him why he was charging 2.50 OVER Walbro's retail. Needless to state, he never responded. I have been in business most of my adult life and I refuse to succumb to dishonest weights and measures when doing business with others. Most in the hobby seem to charge reasonable prices for their stuff, but there are those that think they should get more than the value of the item.

Just some thoughts on this subject.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM
dasquirrelisme
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the buyers job to do research on what he is buying. I shop around before I buy anything whether its a new TV or something rc related. I needed a servo and the hobby shop wanted $24 bucks for the one I can get shipped online for $15.

Sometimes rather than throwing out a ridiculous lowball offer just ask "whats the absolute best price you can do on it" and if its not in your range maybe you need to realize you cant afford it. There are plenty of things I want but my wallet reminds me why I dont have them.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
FLAPHappy

ES:
Apparently you did not take the time to look at the ad, nor did you read my comments. I am not trying to make a profit on a used engine. The engines I have listed are New and never run. I certainly am not making a dime one these engines.I am selling below what I paid for them, Why?, I don't need any more engines.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 PM
RCER54
My Feedback: (150)

Here's my take on the whole buy-sell thing. I've been flying for 40 years. I live on a budget and when I sell something it is usually to buy something else. So I price it accordingly. If I ask too much for it its usually because its worth that much to me and thats what i need to get out of it to purchase the next thing for my next project. People get too uptight about things like this. Just chill. If people dont like the offer be kind and just reply and say that you need to get your asking price for it. People have different reasons for selling their equipment. Lets have fun wheather were flying - buying or selling. Were all in it togeather.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
DanMN

I think RC hobby people are the cheapest and stingiest people in the world. They don't want to pay for anything. They want half off brand new items, then they want more discounts if they buy two or three other items! Really!!!??? Do you go into the food store, or the mall and try that act on those merchants? You will get laughed out of the store! Most likely, they will call security.

Do you guys also go into your hobby store and try that half off routine there too? Are you nuckin futs? If you want to pay 50 cents on the dollar for a brand new item, then you don't really want it. To top it off, the seller doesn't need to sell it at the price you want. It's for sale at the price the seller wants. Buyers don't make the prices. I'd rather burn it than sell it for half off. I'd rather see tears in your eyes when you see that you can't have it. Most of the time, the item sells at the price I want because someone really wants it. It's either my price or the retail price. I don't need to sell anything for 50 cents on the dollar. That's just stupid. I may not sell it right away, but within a month or two, I get my price. Like I wrote, either pay me an save some money, or pay full retail PLUS tax.
I had to laugh after reading this post. It reminded me of being at the field with a newer member and he had a hard landing with an ARF he was flying. He crushed to landing gear and had some other minor damage. He looked at me and said, "I will call the distributor and tell them that it was a product problem that caused the hard landing and they will give me the replacement parts". I about blew my top at the guy. I assume he tried to get the replacement parts for free, but hope he wasn't successful. There are cheap/stingy people everywhere. I am sure that others have heard similar things........ Sorry if this post doesn't belong in this thread, but it seemed relevant.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:48 PM
cutaway

Do you guys also go into your hobby store and try that half off routine there too? Are you nuckin futs?
Depends on how much dust is on it. If the dust is an inch thick, then I'm thinking its not a very fast moving item.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
FLAPHappy

RCER54:
Thanks for yourcomment. I did send a respectful email to the buyer and declined his offer. That's all there is to it. Now I read he thought I was insulted? Not in the least. A seller can reject anybodys offer if it is not up to par for what you are asking for it. Go back and read my replies at the beginning of this thread. It explains everything that transpired.
If a buyer makes an offer via the proper methods, I do check out his profile before I sell anything. There are Scam Artists out there, even in this great hobby, sad but True.
What I do dislike is when sombody posts a thread like this against a seller, first of al it is not called for and getting Low Ball offers via email instead of going thru the proper" make offer" button. It's so easy to do. No, they try the back door and offer something out of the question.Then to ask for free shipping, HA, HA, pound sand my friend. Then they cry and moan and Post a thread like this.
I am not doing this to make money, in fact I usually sell items at or below RCU's Market Value, then I check my receipts and see what I paid for that item, then I list it.Most sellers do this, even the Pro Sellers. Then I make a decision on what do I want out of this item, how much? Sellers do get tired of people trying to get something for free and then offer a sub standard price for that item that you listed.Anyway, no I do not need to Chill, What I need honest buyers for items I list, No Low Ballers allowed, and I do set a Low Ball Shieldwhen I list on every ad,, then this crap shows up?Thats why I do it. To avoid confrontations with a prospective buyer. Who needs that?
Do IPost a "thread" on everybody that gives me stuff like this, absoutley not, it is not worth the time, Plus RCU would need a bigger Website Editor!!!!!!! That now is funny!............
Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Feeling "insulted" by a low ball offer is just that - a feeling. Not an insult.

Kurt

Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
FLAPHappy

Well, something happened with my thumbs, I quoted my own quote!!!!!!!!! What next??????
[quote]ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Feeling "insulted" by a low ball offer is just that - a feeling. Not an insult.

Kurt

Bozarth: I did reread your comments, and yes I did ee the humorous side, but some people are exactly like that as you know.
No, again I want to make it clear as I stated in previous posts on this thread. I was not in the least " Insulted " by his offer, Why is it a lot of you think I was Insulted?, I was not, infact I laughed out loud when I saw the email. I did , like I stated before numerous time, a very respectuful email, declining his offer. That was it as far as I was concerned.
Hey bu the way, I grew up in Denver, South Denver to be exact. I was there 25 years ago, Wow, it sure has changed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.