Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Beginners Do Not Want To Join Clubs

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Before you get wrapped up with the AMA insurance coverage read the fine print. AMA insurance is not the prime insurer your home owners policy is.
You are correct. How many people carry 1 million Dollars of Personal Liability? Not many. Thats when AMA insurance kicks in.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Also if you didn't know this already, if you were to eventually travel or was invited to fly at a show or event, if you don't have a up to date AMA card, they won't let you fly. I know some areas that do the indoor flying. Still I was required to have a AMA card to participate. It's just incase some uncontrollable toddler runs out in the flight area and gets hurt by one of the small helicopters or aircraft. There are a few helicopters and airplanes that are for indoor/outdoor use that can pack a punch if we were to be hit by any of them.

I pay $75 a year for my club, that involves unlimited usage of the field, lawn is always mowed, bathroom facilities, running water, parking and a complete kitchen for anyone who wants to use it including a freezer and fridge. The special bonus I got was a hat with my club logo on it and name tag. Our club does group travel to big events by bus and we go to schools, science and technology centers doing forums discussing and showing all aspects of the hobby. Once a year we hold a large event where people from all over the United States comes to visit including people from the AMA in Muncie, and the FAA as special guests.

This is on top of my regular AMA dues and I get a very nice magazine to go with it.

My airplanes and equipment cost about up to $10,000 all together, when I fly I usually fly a model that's worth a grand or 2. If you think this hobby is expensive, ( which I think it is) just think it would cost to own a full sized airplane?

Because my airplanes are considered to be large scale and weigh over 12-16lbs, I treat them like I would a full scale, and I don't take chances with them. That includes regular inspections etc.

I don't know about the non-AMA chartered clubs, but I do know that the AMA clubs gladly want to follow the rules and not break any laws. We don't purpously try and do stupid things with our aircraft and we communicate and have spotters for additional safety. As a member I've learned discipline and responsibility. Plus- all the free lessons one would want to have if they choose to learn 3D Aerobatics, Pattern or Helicopter. (Since joining my new club they've been pestering me to get a helicopter) NOT!!!!

All the clubs around here in NY State, no AMA card means no fly unless you plan to fly in your living room or on your own property. All I ask that you non-AMA members do, is be respectful and don't do anything stupid because it could hurt all of us that have worked so hard in protecting our hobby by keeping it honorable and safe for almost a century. In other words, don't be the first to ruin it for the rest of us because you want to be that 1%.

I rest my case.

Pete
Oberst, I agree 100% especially the last paragraph. No Card No Fly at Sancioned Fields. There are exceptions, beginners can fly with an Instructor on a buddy box. At our club you can fly on 3 different days, then you join the club or audios amigo.
I want a club with $75 annual dues that has a kitchen, running water, electricty, coolers...
That's a bargain, luxury, and a level of comfort equal to the cost of one night in a hotel room.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

Flaphappy, if You re read the starting post. I am relating to my past.

Your Very first post does not say that. You asked a question period. You better read what you wrote again and again.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM
AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: DustBen
I want a club with $75 annual dues that has a kitchen, running water, electricty, coolers...
That's a bargain, luxury, and a level of comfort equal to the cost of one night in a hotel room.

I dont need a kitchen, coolers, luxury or any level or comfort.

Water and power are nice and arent terrible cost prohibitive.

Just a place to fly.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
crash18
My Feedback: (15)

hi, i didn't join a field because the members i tried to talk to were thought they were somebody so i didn't mind crashing more and spending more money to learn.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
crash18

i wouldn't like that standing in a certain spot and flying in a circle pattern anyway
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
ES CONTROL

CRASH18 I would like to meet you on your field and have fun flying. Neighbor.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM
da Rock

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Before you get wrapped up with the AMA insurance coverage read the fine print. AMA insurance is not the prime insurer your home owners policy is.
And when your home owners policy decides it doesn't cover floods around rivers and tornados in Kansas, the flying site owner sees the AMA insurance policy that names him and defines his coverage as absolute proof the group of guys asking to use his land have more than just the minimums covered.

How many renters are there flying model airplanes?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: levram1

I think it's stupid not to join a club!
I've been flying for almost 20 years, and DON'T belong to a "Club"..I guess I'm stupid!! Damn people, watch what you say!! Might just piss someone off.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Bozarth

ORIGINAL: da Rock

How many renters are there flying model airplanes?
I'm betting more then you would guess!

Kurt
www.BozarthHomes.com
Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 PM
DustBen

ORIGINAL: cublover

ORIGINAL: levram1

I think it's stupid not to join a club!
I've been flying for almost 20 years, and DON'T belong to a "Club"..I guess I'm stupid!! Damn people, watch what you say!! Might just piss someone off.
Psst... fix your tagline, Life is to short,,, to fly slow planes!!!!!!

"Life is "TOO" short..."

Maybe if you joined a club.... just saying.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
DustBen

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger

ORIGINAL: DustBen

I dont need a kitchen, coolers, luxury or any level or comfort.

Water and power are nice and arent terrible cost prohibitive.

Just a place to fly.
But, you have to admit, at 20 cents a day, it's very nice.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:18 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: AugerDawger
Just a place to fly.
Unless the site has grass being mowed on someone else's dime, some of that dues goes towards grass cutting. My club is lucky enough to have that, so dues are ~$25.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

I'm an AMA member and a member of the local club. I usually do not fly with the club but with another group of AMA members at a local site. I have always flown with AMA insurance. I do not get into the politics of the AMA or the local club. I'm a renegade with AMA insurance. I want to keep the hobby fun for me and flying in circles doesn't do it.

The club I'm a member of will not talk to anyone who comes up to watch, yet complains cause the club is not growing. I'm usably the first and only one who goes and talks to them. I find out what they are interested in and try to get them to fly a trainer before they leave. Then I get scolded for bring them into the pits (under my supervision) and letting the touch My plane because the could fall on a plane and break it or they could get hurt. I will even disassemble my planes at the field just so I can explain how things work.

Then if they really show interest you get when are they going to join the club and pay the club dues. When can we put them on the mowing list ect. You can only give one flight to someone before they have to join the club, and when I asked why only one flight, the powers that be explained how they do not want to spend time training someone just for them to go fly somewhere else (read we aren't getting any money out of it). My favorite is when a parent brings there child (ages 6 through 15) to the field and the members talk about how much it cost, how you have to join the club, how you have to join AMA ect, ect. By the time you get through listing to them Bill Gates couldn't afford to fly RC.

When I was younger (I'm 39 now) I can't ever remember it costing to much for me to fly. My Dad started flying RC in the early 70's and I started in the early 80's. I was the youngest pilot at the club at age 11 and I bought my own plane and equipment. (I also didn't understand club politics.) I had to work for the money but since I really enjoyed the hobby it didn't bother me. Heck, most of the high school kids I see driving around town these days are in 20,000 to 40,000 dollar vehicles and go to the movie theater every weekend at 8.00 and 9.00 dollars a ticket. I believe if a youngster wanted to fly that the cost is not the problem.

I do recommend every new person join the AMA but I do not think they have to join a club. I would think there are still people who want to share this amazing hobby with others because they are passionate about it. If someone wants to learn to fly, teach them. Let them bring their friends into the hobby and if you have to teach their friends to fly also then teach them too. If they do not want to join your club so what. It's one more pilot that can get there friends involved who in turn can get their friends involved. That how you grow the hobby, not by joining a club.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM
holensum

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

OK, I Have AMA AND A CLUB! Put down the guns. You will scare the non AMA guys .
Well, I for one joined the AMA the same day I ordered my plane and have contacted the local club about training. Let's see about the econmonics:

AMA = $58 per year
Club = $35 for family per year
Training = No cost and learn to fly right
Not ruining a $300 plane = price less

So, I am an AMA member, belong to a club and have not flown my own plane, yet. Plane gets its maiden flight this Sunday, weather permitting. For me, it just made sense to have the insurance from the AMA and the help from a local club. And I do have a school yard 10 minutes away that will handle my plane, but the 20 minute drive to the club field is not an inconvenience to get the coaching.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:40 PM
holensum

ORIGINAL: thepamster

I am glad someone else brought up fees so I would not be the only one. I am not a beginner and have been getting back in the hobby for a couple of years now.
Club dues are one thing, BUT, Initiation fees are quite something else all together. These fees, one time fees, are often double or even tripple the price of the annual dues. I can easily see that as keeping a begginer from joining a club.
The Pamster
AMA 202345
I also play golf and Pamster's comment about initiation fees is the very reason I don't join one of the local country clubs. But, I did join AMA and a local club for flying.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Farmer Ted
My Feedback: (5)

I don't like clubs of any kind whether they're related to airplanes or not...too many politics, too much dealing with other people's issues, too much hassle. I'm no beginner, I've been flying for years but I taught myself to fly with no crashes immediately (they came later as I stepped things up) and I now have permission to fly off a local sod farm that's literally a half mile from my house. We have an agreement to only fly electrics and respect the property, etc, there have been no issues in the three years my friend and I have been flying there... also, no morons to deal with, and no one to pay, except for the x-mas goodies that my friend and I buy the sod farm folks every year as a thank you...perfect.

I don't like the AMA either; go ahead and crucify me. It has too much of a NRA for RC airplanes vibe for me...too many paranoid folks yelling about the government and what they're going to somehow take away from all of us when 'the man' decides he's had enough. Totally turns me off and creeps me out. I just want to fly and have some fun while at the same time being safe and responsible and minding my own business..don't need a club for that, would rather not deal with it. And please don't tell me what I'm missing out on with good buddies and all the people and such...some of us like to find peace and solitude in our activities, not be part of a social scene or party.

my .000000003 cents.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You and I see eye to eye on this topic.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 AM
jetmech05

I'd like to make a point here....people in this lawsuit happy, give me, give me, society are just looking to get someone.....being a member of the AMA protects you insurance wise...but if you're flying off of someone else properity you could be putting them at risk....
Seems like we're over looking human nature here..example...I went to such and such club...and no one spoke to me...they were all stuck up......We are naturally weary of strangers....did you speak first? Did you ask one of the pilots about his airplane or radio? I don't know anyone that wouldn't respond to a line like Wow nice landing and a beautiful airplane, I am a beginner can you ETC ETC.....
As far as rules go....I believe rules are written in blood.....No club I know of makes a rule to pi** off the members....rules are made to protect property, or for safety or to protect the field.....
Dues and or fees....well thats just an excuse.....clubs need fees to keep running...if you have nothing but a grass field and a cover to stand under you still have expenses....gas, mower and up keep of the cover.
I don't wanna look stupid...an excuse...we all crash...we all learned.....What I think is stupid are those that come to a club field don't know how to fly...refuse help and put us all at risk...or know how to fly and come to the field and don't bother to ask about the rules or ignore them......
I have learned from threads like this though....what I learned is...if I see a stranger at the club...I always speak first and invite them to sit with us annd ask questions.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

[/quote]
First hand experience here with AMA
I had a plane what was being flown on a buddy box. They lost control and the plane went through a metal roof on a pole barn. It was my plane but I was not flying it. It made about a 6" hole. Imagine if that had been a car windshield. Just my advice, join a club, join AMA and have fun flying.
[/quote]

Now that there is good advice.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:09 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only a couple good posts here from the audience that was requested to respond to the OP.

I think they have some good ideas and reasons for flying renegade. I know that I was very discouraged after I first joined, but I set my mind to it as something I wanted to accomplish and nobody was going to stand in my way. You initial experience is going to be bad or good depending on your luck in meeting the right person no matter where you choose to fly. It only takes one good person to make this hobby work for you in the beginning. I was very lucky. I enjoy breaking an AMA rule occasionally to do some of the outlaw stuff, but I don't fly when kids appear... I don't want to hurt the little darlings (and the wrath of an angry parent when I hit one.) When you get to the larger planes, I like some orderly control at the field. I don't want my $2500 plane to be shot down by a $100 foamy as I have seen done.

All the mention of insurance.... keep in mind that the insurance really only covers the land owner. The personal portion is secondary (as in NOT PRIMARY). You home owners, personal liability, or renters insurance is your primary coverage. I am really not so sure that we are not buying a pig in a poke when they tell us about the insurance coverage from AMA. I do think insurance is important.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it's a combination of club dues, AMA dues and gas costs I just can't afford on a regular basis. All up I'm looking at $70-$80 worth of fees to get started, and I don't have that kind of scratch just kicking around. On top of that it will cost me $20-$25 in gasoline just to go to the field in the first place.

I'll be going to one to learn how to fly, but once I'm proficient enough to fly on my own regularly without stuffing it, I'm done with the club. I live out in the sticks, I don't need a designated flying field to fly. I can build one in my own back yard.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: bing44

What do club dues have to do with the cost of crashes? You have to pay club dues PLUS pay for your own crashes, or else I was getting screwed.

jim

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Because it generally costs most people more in crashes than club dues. Though there are a few clubs that are pretty pricey.

As for looking stupid, everyone out there, pro or newb, started somewhere.

A beginner learning without assistance (club or whatever) will generally spend quite a bit of unncessary money fixing crashed airplanes or helicopters (ESPECIALLY helicopters), that if they had spent it in club dues and learned how to fly with an instructor they would likely not have spent.

Its a generalization of course, some people fly a couple times on the sim and go and solo, some people never learn but I'm speaking on average.

That said, some clubs are better than others, I'm fortunate enough to belong to an awesome club and have another excellent one just a little further away I fly at sometimes, and all the clubs I've been a member of while schleping around the country in the Navy have been great.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I'd like to make a point here....people in this lawsuit happy, give me, give me, society are just looking to get someone.....being a member of the AMA protects you insurance wise...but if you're flying off of someone else properity you could be putting them at risk....
Seems like we're over looking human nature here..example...I went to such and such club...and no one spoke to me...they were all stuck up......We are naturally weary of strangers....did you speak first? Did you ask one of the pilots about his airplane or radio? I don't know anyone that wouldn't respond to a line like Wow nice landing and a beautiful airplane, I am a beginner can you ETC ETC.....
As far as rules go....I believe rules are written in blood.....No club I know of makes a rule to pi** off the members....rules are made to protect property, or for safety or to protect the field.....
Dues and or fees....well thats just an excuse.....clubs need fees to keep running...if you have nothing but a grass field and a cover to stand under you still have expenses....gas, mower and up keep of the cover.
I don't wanna look stupid...an excuse...we all crash...we all learned.....What I think is stupid are those that come to a club field don't know how to fly...refuse help and put us all at risk...or know how to fly and come to the field and don't bother to ask about the rules or ignore them......
I have learned from threads like this though....what I learned is...if I see a stranger at the club...I always speak first and invite them to sit with us annd ask questions.
So many variables. I am in two different clubs and they are night and day difference. It is so much about the people in the clubs. The one club has no set written rules and yet it runs like clockwork because the rules sort of come from within the members. None of the garbage, red tape, we need this here, no that is wrong, I am better than you kind of stuff. It is a pleasure to fly with that group.

The other club has written rules, always some drama going on, everything should be done a certain way, do this, murmering and talking behind folks backs, don't do that, disagreeing over so many things - the grass should be mowed this way, the building should be this way, the sign should be here, planes should fly this way, helis that way, etc. Overall it is not bad, however I don't think they really spend the time to consider how all the rules affect their members. The board changes frequently.

"rules are made to protect property, or for safety or to protect the field....." I find this to not always be the case. Often many of the rules are because one or two want things a certain way and many are not in place to protect proerty or safety. This has been my experience with the couple clubs I am involved with.

When I first started I wanted to fly RC planes and not interested to join a club. The only problem I had was that I could not find any good places to fly and could not locate anyone that had their own field. So I joined a club to get started. I keep my memberships up-to-date at both clubs. It is costly adding AMA dues as well and I assist with maintenance. One club is expensive and the other is inexpensive. Want to guess which one is inexpensive? Yep, the club that does not have all the rules! I find that there is nothing in the clubs that I desire that makes me want to stay except for flying. If I need to socialize I can do that anywhere and don't really need an RC club for that. I got into RC to fly my planes because that is what I enjoy.

At any rate, this is often a subject that crops back up. I do think clubs should think about the hobby they love so much.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM
ezflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Well I have been flying since 1999. I have been around crop dusters my whole life. I kinda knew the basics. I live out on a farm witch is 50 plus miles from the nearest club and hobby shop. I will drive to the hobby shop 10 times in one day if I need. I have my own 1200 foot r/c runway in my back yard along with a 3/4 mile full size strip for the dusters. I went down to the club when I first started this hobby ( keep in mind that i dont know what a stranger is, i can befriend even a bum on the street.) and wanted to learn more. I also wanted to join. As I walked trough the aera where the members store the planes before flight or just resting and thats when I got a liittle upset. (by the way, you must walk trough here to get to seating aera.) I was asking a couple of questions, when a ***** member looked at me and was very vulgur. He said to me, to make dam sure I didnt touch his f...ing airplane, that it was not a toy. At this time i was around 23 years old not 5. I have yet to step back on that property. So now in my eyes, it is a waste of money for me. I have a few friends that I have now taught how to control a plane and they are auctualy better than I am. We have a few rules, but the first rule is to respect each others space, on the ground and in the air. We love it. as for as the AMA, well I am not a member, but only because i need to fill out the paperwork. I dont know if i can get a card with out belonging to a club. I probly should try incase we do have an accident, God forbid. But for now i dont. All my friends have it, but they belong to the club also. i taught my self how to fly, with very minimal crashes. So when i was a newbie, the club it self would have discourge me from continueing to learn. i did it on my own and still absolutly refuse to go to anohther club and try to join.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.