Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

HAVE HELI'S, NEED ADVICE BALANCING FIRST PLANE

Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

HAVE HELI'S, NEED ADVICE BALANCING FIRST PLANE

Old 01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
u)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAVE HELI'S, NEED ADVICE BALANCING FIRST PLANE

Hey All...

Its been a while since I last posted here. Some of you may remember me from the heli section. Anyways its good to be back, I got an E-flite Extra 260 480 3D for Christmas from my Fiance. This will be my first plane. I have been practicing on RealFlight G4.5 with this plane and am getting ready for its maiden flight. I have heli's (T-rex 450). I am kind of confused when balancing it this plane. I have followed the instructions for the recommended distance from the LE which is 75mm to 79mm so I have my mark at 77mm, dead center between the two which is about 29% back from the LE next to the Fuselage.

I have seen on youtube videos when people balance their planes, They do it upside down, which I am doing (is that correct for 3D plane?). But when they touch the tail or nose, it will "sway" back and forth and settle at balanced again....

Mine, I can get balanced perfectly level (taped glass tube from level over cg) as you can see by the pics below, but when I touch the tail, it falls to the tail, or if I touch the nose, it falls to the nose, it doesn't "sway" back to balanced like the planes in the videos I have seen.

It's pretty close to being balanced just by its self, just ever so slightly tail heavy, which I know is bad and it should either be balanced or slightly nose heavy, and I can get it balanced with just one 7 gram lead stick on weight in the nose framework.

What am I doing wrong... if anything. or should I be doing something different? My main question: why does it not sway back to balanced like others?

I am using the homemade balancer as I forgot to order the Great Planes CG Machine when I ordered all my parts.

Here is my setup info:

DX7 Transmitter
AR6210 Receiver
Eflite Park 480 1020kv
Eflite 40amp lite pro SB Esc
Protek 2100mAh 3s Lipo
(x4) HS-5055MG servos

IN THIS PIC, IT WAS STARTING TO FALL TO THE TAIL SO IT WASN'T LEVEL FOR THE PIC... BUT YOU GET THE IDEA OF HOW I'M USING THE BUBBLE FROM MY LEVEL. THE WHITE LINE IS PARALLEL WITH THE HORIZONTAL STAB. BUBBLE IS CENTERED OVER CG.

SEE, IT WILL STAY BALANCED LIKE THIS, BUT IF I TOUCH THE TAIL, IT FALLS TO THE TAIL, OR IF I TOUCH THE NOSE, IT FALLS TO THE NOSE.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Troy
Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
u)

Default RE: HAVE HELI'S, NEED ADVICE BALANCING FIRST PLANE

Hmm.... well I tried balancing it rightside up... and it seems to balance properly now. I wonder if their is more weight at or below the wings in this plane.

Still open to any advice.

Should 3d planes be balanced right side up or upside down?

Thank you,

Troy
Old 01-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Lnewqban

That is exactly what happens here, Troy.

There is certain vertical location of the CG.

The points at which you support the plane for balance should be above the CG, in order for the plane to be stable (just like a pendulum).

The whole thing was unstable in the first position, just like an upside down pendulum, because the CG was trying to go to the lowest point by rotating the whole plane around the supporting points.

It is not related to the type of flying a plane is designed to do.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:57 PM
u)

Thank you very much for the info. I was able to get it balanced that way (right side up) by adding about 3 grams to the nose. It's now perfectly balanced, maybe just a slight bit to the nose if anything.

Cant wait for my first flight!! until then, I'll be on the sim. :-)

Troy