Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The New F86D Dog Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:55 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The New F86D Dog Sabre

Generally there looks like there have been a few problems with this jet. Nothing major it would apear but I was wondering if people generally think that itt is worth the money

Deno
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 AM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: kasi122

Hi greg, could you post a picture of the rear? Iam afraid of, that the pipe could
Move sidewards, if it Is only held by the cutout in the fuselage, when you have fast
Movements. Sorry form my english
The pipe can not move in any direction at the tail, once it is secured to the forward former, since it goes through 2 formers (circular cutouts) as well as the fuselage fiberglass at the rear ... the same method used on my Avonds F-15, and CARF Flash.
Take a look at the third photo with the wires in the rear ... you can see the pipe and circular former-cutout , and how the dual-walled pipe fits it nicely..
Not a problem with your English ... far better than: mine Deutch site ich habe nich gessproken fur 22 yarren .... which also didn't help my spelling!

Greg
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 AM
jetflyr

Deleted
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
kasi122

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ,

@Deno: there are a few little problems, but as you said no major problems. If you can life with them (the canopy fits not very good[] and the big holes in the fuselage for the wing tubes) and the jet flies like henry promises, you get a solid model for your money.

@greg: thanks for your answer, good to know that it is enough as it is ;-). a few "little" ;-)) mistakes in your german, but after 22 years good enough to order a beer in Austria :-))

Andi
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to add a few things to the list of issues. 

First off I paid $400 for mine from the xmas sale.  For that it is a steal, granted I have no retracts.  Please understand I am not complaining, but just informing.

-The formers can be broken away from the fuse with enough force, and the glue used in mine does not bond to the fiberglass well.
-The formers do not contact the fuse in all places, and the gaps are filled with this glue.
-The hole for my wing spar is way to big, and the methods use to fix it in the forum will not work.  I will have to glue wood behind the hole and droll the hole out the right size, and fill the gap with hysol.  A metal tube with that much hysol will be hard to keep centered with how big the hole is.
-The vert stab has 1/2" rods sticking out, this will not hold the stab to my liking, so addition CF rod must be installed.  I havent read the manual yet so perhaps there is something I am overlooking.

I need to figure out how to secure the formers, hoping I can remove them fully, then grind the glue off, and reglue with hysol.  Else I will fillet with hysol.

Basically, I would consider this an ARF minus (Arf-).  Some would call it a "builders arf".  For the money I have paid, the work is worth it.  But if I paid retail and expected and arf in the "arf" sense, I would of been dissapointed.  There is also seems to be some invention needed to mount everything up as I am not seeing turbine mounts and fuel tank mounts etc..  So you'll need a stock of plywood. 

Keep in mind I have no experience with turbines.  I am currently building a HET l-39 and it is nearly full composite.  A few sheets of glass on the wings  and it would be full composite just like most of my other EDFs.  To me, being an full composite EDF person, it seems counter intuitive to have a "built up" jet for a turbine.

But I am 3 years into this hobby and still learning, and I always build things so I can beat the crap out of them.  The turbine guys in my area are cautioning me I cannot fly turbines like I fly EDFs.  So I know I have a lot to learn.

I wanted to my put my thoughts out there not to complain, but just to inform.  This isnt a $3000 arf.  Dont expect one.  Good value I would say but just know you have to roll your sleeves up.

Ps.  If Jim S. is reading this,  thanks for your help!

Final word: Yes it is worth the money and get you into turbines cheap!  You may get some "flack" from other turbine guys as usually f-86 are not trainers for various reasons, but this is not a scale f-86.  The wing thickness, wing chord, gear stance, etc are all "trainerish".

Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM
mtnflyer14

My kit had many of the same issues that you describe. My solution was that every time I had a little epoxy or Hysol left over, I would fill the gaps and reinforce where I thought necessary. Also glassed the front of the former that the NGS servo attaches to at Greg's recommendation. The hole in the fuselage for the wingt tube on mine was too big as well, but I don't understand why you don't think any of this forum's solutions will work on yours. The brass tube in the 1/4 ply brackets seems bulletproof to me. I haven't installed the tube yet, but Greg did and it worked great. Also, I just used Hysol to attach the rudder and I think it will be fine. It's not a perfect fit, so I think there will be some filling and maybe a shot of aluminum paint (same as I used on the flaps after glassing them), but I don't have concerns about it staying on with the two 1/4 inch CF rods into the fuselage.
Regards,
Gus
Old 01-29-2012, 04:57 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Gus, I was worried mine had some production flaws.  In terms of the wing spar fix, perhaps I need to re-read, but my holw for my wing spar is huge, and looks much larger than the ones I seen on this forum.  The fix will work for me I am just saying I need additional structures in there.  Its still an easy fix either way.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM
bigplumbs
Banned

For anyone thinking of buying this plane there is now an alternative source of the F86 Dog Saber available in the UK. I am not sure where this one is made but it is not I think made by Modelbau. There is an add for it in the latest RCJI and I think it is at a very reasonable price and a different colour scheme from the one detailed on here so far.

Always good to have competition

Deno
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deno how about a link Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM
bstussie
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Deno48

For anyone thinking of buying this plane there is now an alternative source of the F86 Dog Saber available in the UK. I am not sure where this one is made but it is not I think made by Modelbau. There is an add for it in the latest RCJI and I think it is at a very reasonable price and a different colour scheme from the one detailed on here so far.

Deno

Guys please don't crash Henry/Modellbau's Forum with another company's product, feel free to start a new thread but keep this about the Modellbau F86

Old 01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: bstussie

Deno

Guys please don't crash Henry/Modellbau's Forum with another company's product, feel free to start a new thread but keep this about the Modellbau F86

I was not aware that this was forum or indeed thread belonged to Modelbau/Henry. I thought these boards were in the public domain for members to post on. I am quite sure I am correct in that view

Also I am of the sort of opinion that the plane availabe from the other source isprobably the same model

Choice and competition well worth defending

Deno
Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM
ModellbauUK

Yes Colchester A1 are bringing out Sabre to try and compete with the ModellbauUSA model

Take a look at their website and have a close look at the paint lines and detail. Definitely not up to the current excellent ModellbauUSA product.

Can't understand what it is with UK market. Why bring out cheaper copycat products to try and squeeze out new small ventures. That's not Competition that's Capitolism

Take the Navycat for example. The Falcon 120 is clearly a very good model, has been around for a very long time and was screaming for a factory turbine modification. Not only did Henry decide to modify the design for Turbines but took the design one stage further and included a composite tank and retracts in the price. I'm sure that the Navycat will be a whole lot more expensive when they price up these components.

Why could not Colchester A1 take the design one stage further than Henry and produced a model with removable wing tips. It's easier to let someone else do the design work and then just change the colour scheme.

Now let's take a closer look at the Sabre. Look closely at the wing. Make your own mind up if you think the model they have on offer will fly as well as the ModellbauUSA Dog Sabre

So here's crunch time. Can I do a survey of those who would like me to carry on bringing in the ModellbauUSA products to the UK. I don't do this for profit as I run a very successful other business. I need to shift the Tornado V2's off the shelf before I consider bringing in a stock of the V3's. Grab yourself a bargain and PM me for a really good deal.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
ModellbauUK

Also, anyone want some Falcon120/Tornado wheels, struts & brakes let me know too
Old 01-30-2012, 01:56 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

Here we go again. If you challenge me I will throw out my toys and threaten to stop bringing in the product. No big deal Just do it, Others will soon fill the gap.

Also I note that you have made just over 115 posts. I wonder how many of those were simply trying to sell the products you imported. Is this rearly what these forums are supposed to be for ?

Deno

Old 01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

Yes Colchester A1 are bringing out Sabre to try and compete with the ModellbauUSA model

Take a look at their website and have a close look at the paint lines and detail. Definitely not up to the current excellent ModellbauUSA product.

Can't understand what it is with UK market. Why bring out cheaper copycat products to try and squeeze out new small ventures. That's not Competition that's Capitolism

Take the Navycat for example. The Falcon 120 is clearly a very good model, has been around for a very long time and was screaming for a factory turbine modification. Not only did Henry decide to modify the design for Turbines but took the design one stage further and included a composite tank and retracts in the price. I'm sure that the Navycat will be a whole lot more expensive when they price up these components.

Why could not Colchester A1 take the design one stage further than Henry and produced a model with removable wing tips. It's easier to let someone else do the design work and then just change the colour scheme.

Now let's take a closer look at the Sabre. Look closely at the wing. Make your own mind up if you think the model they have on offer will fly as well as the ModellbauUSA Dog Sabre

So here's crunch time. Can I do a survey of those who would like me to carry on bringing in the ModellbauUSA products to the UK. I don't do this for profit as I run a very successful other business. I need to shift the Tornado V2's off the shelf before I consider bringing in a stock of the V3's. Grab yourself a bargain and PM me for a really good deal.
Have a better look at the model and you will see that it is a plastic kit. The real ones are however available I am given to understand

Also did you use the word quality in relationship to your product. Have you not read any of this thread !
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Hey guys there is no need to fight on RCU. There is plenty of room in this market for everybody. If another UK dealer has a great product then let them but it out there. That's what this world is about opportunity. My goal when I bought Modellbau was to bring excellent priced Jets the market. If some body else can aid in the battle then sooner or later we will not be paying $7000 for a composite kit that is marked up 400%. Either way the customer will benefit. And that is truly what I want. This hobby has kept me sane through out the years and I sure it has done that for many. I don't want people to give up something they love because of another persons greed
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

ORIGINAL: ModellbauUK

Not that I particularly care but.

Your price for Tornado (Incl Tank, Mount and retract base. No legs or wheels etc) £385.00

Navycat Price including 2.1 ltr tankno retracts £229.99

That leaves £155.01 to buy retracts and a mount.

Given that many people will have a simple set of retracts that will fit or if not I am sure they can buy a set that will be ok for the £155.

So I would dispute your claim stated above.

I would point out that I have absolutly no financial connection with the vendors of any of these models. I just like the truth and people to quote accurate facts

Deno

Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM
mtnflyer14

So, now that the off topic discussion on other kits is hopefully over, let's get back to building the Modellbau F-86D. For those who are wondering how to protect the rudder and elevator servo wires past the engine, I am going to try fiberglass sleeving around the wires. The sleeving is rated at 1200 F; not sure exactly what that means, but I should have mine by the end of the week, will post pics then. Here is the link: http://www.drillspot.com/products/50...eving_sleeving
Regards,
Gus
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
ModellbauUK

No Dennis, I am not throwing my dummy out of the pram, just trying to gauge likely demand for the V3 in the UK and the rest of Europe.

As Ihave already said on many occasions I provide a service to the UK to enable jet pilots on this side of the pond the opportunity to purchase very good products and to avoid the rediculously high import costs associated with shipping single models from the States.

I don't do this for profit, I do it because I love my hobby and I love Jets. No other reason. If the demand isn't there there is no point me importing any models. So some positive feedback would be appreciated.

By the way I am not going to be made to feel as though I am acting like a tantruming 3 years old. This is a forum about a model not a place to make personal jibes at certain individuals reasons for doing certain things. We are not hear to judge individuals just the product.

If there is a new product coming out by another supplier start a thread for that product. How can you possibly know that it is the same product as the ModellbauUSA product. Let's not get into that discussion again where the source of the products are brought into question.

To summerise, it makes no difference to me whether I bring in Tornado V3's or not. If everyone would prefer to go down the NavyCat or converted Falcon120 route that's fine by me. Think you will find that the model will cost you a whole lot more in the long run.

I look forward to only positive feedback as I am not looking for any negative feedback. All I am asking for is feedback "Yes Please bring some V3's in as I for one would be interested in buying one"

Can't get much clearer than that.

Thank you all for your continued support

Ian
Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM
ModellbauUK

Here we go again. If you challenge me I will throw out my toys and threaten to stop bringing in the product. No big deal Just do it, Others will soon fill the gap.

Also I note that you have made just over 115 posts. I wonder how many of those were simply trying to sell the products you imported. Is this rearly what these forums are supposed to be for ?

Deno

Sorry Dennis, am I mistaken but isn't that how RCU makes their money, through suppliers & manufacturers paying to advertise their wares through the forum pages. I pay my fees so that gives me the right to sell on here if I want to.

Anyone correct me, Am I right?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Mike06659

Does anyone have a video of the Dog flying other then the ModellbauUSA video?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Flilek

High all,

I'm building the Dog Sabre.

Most of the problems described in this forum can be solved with the right tools. I would personally not glue a brass tube. A significant change in stiffnes on the carbon tube can make it brake on the point, where the carbon comes out of the brass tube. In F3B gliders, the carbon joiner is floating in the fuselage. The wings are positionned by the short plugs on leadin edge and trailing edge.

For me, the most important problem is, that the holes in the formers are not aligned with the rubber caps from the fuel cells.

By the way. The fuselage is not made of epoxy but of polyester. I don't know, how hysol glue will stick on polyester.

See you Flilek
Old 02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
ModellbauUK

ORIGINAL: Flilek

High all,

I'm building the Dog Sabre.

Most of the problems described in this forum can be solved with the right tools. I would personally not glue a brass tube. A significant change in stiffnes on the carbon tube can make it brake on the point, where the carbon comes out of the brass tube. In F3B gliders, the carbon joiner is floating in the fuselage. The wings are positionned by the short plugs on leadin edge and trailing edge.

For me, the most important problem is, that the holes in the formers are not aligned with the rubber caps from the fuel cells.

By the way. The fuselage is not made of epoxy but of polyester. I don't know, how hysol glue will stick on polyester.

See you Flilek
A very good point and I see what you mean

Flex would spread the load

Henry: think we need your input again

Old 02-02-2012, 12:19 PM
mtnflyer14

I would personally not glue a brass tube.
You could be right - so what do you recommend for securing the CF tube through the fuselage and the exits at the edge of the fuselage?
Regards,
Gus
Old 02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Mike06659

I was going to epoxy both rods into the fuse. What do you guys think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.