Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > T-Rex heli
Reload this Page >

TREX 450 Pro V2 ESC question

Community
Search
Notices
T-Rex heli For all you T-Rex lovers out there, this where you can post!

TREX 450 Pro V2 ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
RappyPilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TREX 450 Pro V2 ESC question

I have been flying planes and specially heli's for years now, but nitro only.

I am quite keen to have a go at electric out of curiousity and I have just bough a TREX 450 Pro V2 (Flybarred)

Almost embarrased to sat that I know very little about LiPO's ESC's , all those numbers on th engine, KV rating etc. etc. But I have been reading and asking questions and have a fairly good grasp of it all now.

Only one question specific to the ESC that you get with the kit. It is a RCE-BL35P speed controller.

This esc has a governor funtionality. In the manual they state that in order to use it (Only in Idle up) , you have to select Helicopter 2 on the ESC and then set your throttle between 75% and 80% ... What does that mean? Am I correct in assuming that you then have a flat throttle curve that looks like this 75-75-75-75-75 for instance and not use a 100-75-100 throttle curve? And is the esc then clever enough to know when you are flying in normal mode and then switch to idle up?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts
Default RE: TREX 450 Pro V2 ESC question

Take this fwiw, but I've never seen gov mode in a heli esc work worth a damn on anything other than a really good (kontronic or Castle) ESC, on the cheaper ones they just pulse the tail and drive the gyro batty.

If it were my machine, I'd setup a throttle curve and call it good.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 AM
RappyPilot

Hi

I don't plan on using it as a governor. Just curious if I understood the concept correctly.

But I am not much of a fan of governors. Maybe I am old school. I have tried the Align and the TT governors for a while but was not that impressed by them. No disrespect, I am sure they do their job well.

Granted, it takes a bit longer to set up a heli when not using a governor, but once set and it's right, I can't say I really notice the difference in my style of flying which limited to light 3D and smooth aerobatics
Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

They work great for nitro, especially the MultiGov but I've never used them for electrics except for my scaler and thats got a high dollar Castle in it.

But yes, you understand it, set your throttle curve straight across for an ESC in governor mode
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 PM
RappyPilot

Thanks