RCG 20cc Gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: RCG 20cc Gas engine

Thanks for the recomendation,
I ended up with two of these RCG 20's...because I first ordered a DLE 20 from Hobby King...and the engine went "back order." After waiting five months and many conversations with H.K., H.K canceled my DLE 20 order, and gave me store credit. Hobby King refused to refund my money and believe me I tried for over a month-@!$%& H.K. has a real lousy customer service policy. I had $275.00 store credit, and for $54.00 I could get two RCG 20's. So now you know how I managed to get two of these engines, when I first wanted a DLE 20. I've put the engines up for sale on Craigslist...and any one can have them both for $300.00...shipped anywhere in the U.S.

The engines came with out a spark plugs...what would you recomend I use, for this engine ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK CM6 available at auto parts houses for approx $4 ea.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:26 PM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran new RCGF 20 for another hour today. Installed a NGK CM6 plug before any running. Running 30:1 break in mix with a 16x8 nylon prop. Tached briefly at 9100, transitions nicely, idles fine. Starts were all one or two flips once fuel was to carb. Will change the prop to a 17x9 wood one before mounting in a plane. Next step is to mount it in the CMP Piper J3 120. Leaned the idle and HS needles for best running. No issues at all.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:34 PM
capnduane

My RCGF beam mount 20 has been running great in my Sig clipped wing cub. Using a turnigy 17/8 beech prop, and the cub weighs 16 lbs. Using the choke, it starts easily. I'm running Opti-2 oil and regular gas. Have'nt touched the needles! I also have a RCGF 15, but haven't run it yet. Well made little motors.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:59 AM
skip1320

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vni-yJMco8 About a gallon so far,reliable power.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 AM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Broke my 17 8 jen engine prop today after a dead stick with this engine, opened the high needle a touch and fitted a 17 6 jxf prop got 8400 rpm and flew well for another three flights. Felt that the 17 8 jen engine prop was better for for this engine as gave a bit more speed and mid range on the throttle curve.

Think my engine is needing another fine tune as a bit gurgly in the low mid range but did not bother today as still running a super oily mix and was in a flying mood not a tinkering mood.

Also got a 16 8 3 graupner delivered today and was going to try it on this engine but the prop comes with a massive prop hole pre drilled will have to find a spacer for this prop to fit this engine, will post how I get on with that when I get a spacer.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got in the maiden this morning on a Pica Waco. RCGF 26engine started easily and ran great. Xoar 17x8prop @ 6990 rpm. I only ran one tank in it before takeing flight.I can't see where one could ask for more.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
WildeOne

Got my second RCGF 20CC ready to run ... just waiting for a mild day, which may be months away now. . Set the timing, put in a Denso spark plug, and used Loctite on the fasteners. This one will go on a NP YAK 54 120 69.5" (very light). 17x8 9 seems to be the right prop for this motor to keep RPM ~7000 to 7500 RPM. Yesterday (2/1) finally had a warm day. This motor started easily using the electric starter. Ran it with a 17x9 wood prop. Good idle and smooth transition. Didn't try any full throttle yet, but ran it for about an hour. Will tach it and run full throttle next time, and do final mixture adjustments. Now just need the time and space to assemble the YAK.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
WildeOne

Ran my second RGCF 20 CC for about an hour for the first time today. Totally uneventful. Used the electric starter for the starts. Motor idled fine, transitioned OK and had plenty of power, but didn't run it full throttle yet. This one's going in a NP 69.5" YAK 54, when I find the time and space to put it together. Have a 17x9 wood prop on it and think I'll stay with that for now.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
WildeOne

2x .
Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Hi guys,

I bought the RCG 20cc from HK around 9 months ago. I got it for my Seagull Model's MXS-R 120. Last week I finally got it running, it took a lot to run this motor somehow the carb was not sucking the fuel out, somehow I tried to troubleshoot it and was able to crank it up. I put a 17X6 Turnigy wooden prop on it. After cranking it up, I cranked up with one flip of chicken stick. The RPM on WOT I almost got 7,900 to 8,000. I like it. On idle I have to turn LSN almost 3 turns then it gives me a decent idle, once again I started it for the first time. I'm using regular gas with Pennzoil's oil not synthetic.

My question is about LSN, is it normal for new motor like RCG 20cc from HK to run idle on almost 3 turns? What idle RPM is ideal for this motor. Tomorrow I'm, gonna have a maiden of it and I'm excited. I'm posting a video as well as pix here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-9GmoVG-iU
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20130825_161335.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	1915204   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130825_161403.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	1915205  
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Mody, if it's running OK, I wouldn't worry much about where the needle is at? It should idle low enough where it doesn't creep on you when you set it down prior to taxiing out for take off. Something in the mid to high teens normally.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 PM
armody

ahicks,

How are you doing? You always had been great in giving me advices and I truly appreciate that. After finishing up the fuel can with regular non synthetic oil, I will switch it to synthetic. RCG 20 is pretty responsive and I'm sure it would run fine. Idle RPM should be under 2,400 or 2,700 is OK? I'm gonna go to have the maiden tomorrow which is pretty much planned up. I will see how it behaves up in the air. I will give the feedback.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:49 PM
ahicks

I was thinking idling at 15-1900 is a good target. I would say the maiden will likely show you if or where your carb adjustments are off. Safe bet it won't be right (they never are), so be prepared/keep that in mind during the maiden?

Best of luck!
-Al
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM
armody

Hi Al,

On first maiden flight, I was taking her off the ground since the grass is so high, turf is uneven had a nose over broke the prop, first Turnigy 17X6 Prop, should have had full elevator but it sux there and I hate it. I swapped APC 17X6 and somehow the RPM were not right I still took off and with full up elevator, it took off as I suspected that nose was pretty heavy and it flew OK since RPM was not like the I wanted, I ended up landing it as nose was heavy she hit the ground so hard that the landing gears came right off the fuse and tail wheel broke too, Thank GOD the damage is not bad, wing tip is slight pushed in but it's in a pretty good shape and I'm repairing it. Tomorrow I will get the coat for it as well and hopefully she should be ready for next week. I have to make some adjustments to the CG as I have push battery packs back in order to achieve the good CG.

Motor seems to be working good I think and it's good, it needs more lil bit more tweaking on both LSN and HSN and I would pretty much attain the right RPM on it. I'd update ya more.

Thanks

Mody
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM
Bob Paris

Hi Guys,
Maybe I just have strong RCG 20, but I'm more then surprised at the performance of the engines. At first (if you read my earlier posting) I was very displeased with receiving the engines (I received two of them). I wanted the DLE 20...but instead received two RCG 20's. Well I put one of them in a Big Stick .60~.90 version and was very surprised at the performance and reliability of the RCG 20cc gas engine. With a Xore 17x6 I was receiving almost 8,000 RPM. I ended up running Master Airscrew 16x10 (price was better and lasted longer for me) and pulled a ten pound model vertical with a vengeance.

To say I was surprised is an understatement...These are very strong engines and stronger then the DLE 20. I now have flown both engines and I can say with out question...the RCG 20 is one of the most powerful 20cc class engines out there. I have now run both my RCG 20's and both perform outstanding. I use regular "0" alcohol gas with Royal Purple 2 cycle oil. I broke-in the engines on Royal Purple oil mix and gas with no alcohol, and have two very powerful 20cc gas engines.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
ahicks

Bob, I have one of each, a DLE 20 and an RCG 20. Both are well broken in by now (understatement) and they both run APC 17x6 props, turn 8500 (+/-). I think they're a great value, but would not encourage their purchase by a gas rookie. For all practical purposes there's no warranty or support available for them at the dealership or manf. level.

Looking forward to checking out the new beam mounted 26cc RCGF that appears to be a bored/stroked beam mount 20cc, and have heard there's a new rear exhaust DLE 20 about to come out as well. The 20's have arrived!

Next will be the 10's, then ???
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Bob Paris

Hay Buddy,
You can buy replacement parts through H.K. or BP hobbies. BP sells RCGF and the parts are interchangeable. I love these little gas engines and my first gas engines. I'm now flying a PTE 36R with wonderful results and moving over to gas engines for all my models.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM
ahicks

Yup, you can get parts from Captmicom at Southwest Aerovista Hobbies as well. Captmicom and BP Hobbies both frequently support guys looking for/needing help here as well.

But they aren't going to warranty an engine they didn't sell, and I wouldn't want to endorse an RCG engine without that warning or do or say anything that might lead anyone to believe that HK provides good support after the sale. It's not that it never happens, but at best it's ultra slow, IF you get any satisfaction from them at all.

Some of us get that, and order from HK on a roll of the dice hoping for the best. Most of us get that? But it's not something I would ask a gas newbie to subject himself to. That's me though, -Al
Old 09-03-2013, 06:53 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Purchasing RCGF engines from AMR in Canada gets you excellent customer service and a 2 year engine warranty.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:24 PM
armody

I bought my RCG 20 from HK, cranking it up for the first time was a pain in the butt, somehow it was not sucking in the gas, once it started after that it was one flip and it would fire up. Unfortunately where I'm flying has high grass no club, it's a huge retention pond great area to fly but with my Yak 54 which has XYZ 20cc from VVRC, does not seem to have power as compared to DLE20 but my MXS-R 90 which was nose heavy little more heavy has RCG20 on board, that RCG is a screamer, it can swing APC 17X6 pretty good as well as Turnigy 17X6 which two props I bought from HK, due to high grass and nose over, I lost the turnigy prop now I have one left which I have not tested. Due to heavy nose I landed it so hard that landed gears popped right out off fuse and it's almost done repairing. I will see how it goes. Some how my luck on these planes pretty much screwed up, I do a flight then something happens all the time. I don't know when it would change that I will have at least 5 flights and bring the plane home without any damage.

Mody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.