Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Balloon Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:05 AM
timLQ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balloon Tires

Hi guys,

Another set of Trexlers shot. Rotted out in a year. No air in them, no moisture but I think the nitro got to them. Anyone out there have a source for vintage looking balloon tires? Specifically 3 1/2 inch? Or all you all just buying Trexlers?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
texflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Balloon Tires

Occasional treatment with Armorall or Sun Of A Gun will make Trexlers last longer.

Floyd
Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: timLQ

Hi guys,

Another set of Trexlers shot. Rotted out in a year. No air in them, no moisture but I think the nitro got to them. Anyone out there have a source for vintage looking balloon tires? Specifically 3 1/2 inch? Or all you all just buying Trexlers?
You couldn't GIVE me another set of Trexlers, but let me ask: Why do you want them? If it's for appearance, and you want to keep the plane for a number of years... plan on replacing them regularly.

Otherwise, cheapo wheels last much longer.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM
timLQ

Yep, just for the looks. It's a nostalgic plane and I don't think they look right with modern tires.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
timLQ

I heard about the armor all but a little too late. If I have to buy 3 sets of tires at $40.00 a pop I would like to invest in something that will last a while for sure.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
deadstickdan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

timLQ,

You probably know about these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWAA0&P=SM

They're just a bit bigger than the 3 1/2" you are after but think they keep a very nostalgic look.

Dan
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 PM
timLQ

Love that tag line. Wish I would have thought of that one. Anyway, no I didn't know about the Williams tires but they are too narrow for my taste although they are nostalgic. They may have to do. Thanks for the heads up.

Tim
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
deadstickdan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,

I looked around a bit and this is the only alternative I've come across:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD798&P=ML

This is a little bigger than you are looking for but it's close:

http://www.kavanrc.com/cgi-bin/dpsma...7AE.html?E+Kav

I've used the CUB wheels on other models, I just sand the hubcap down to eliminate the CUB letters and repaint the color I want. I heard my tag line while at a TOC competition in Las Vegas many, many years ago.

Dan
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

You might reconsider ArmorAll, and do a little more research. Makes things look great, but destroys rubber.

Les
Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you considered the Dubro 3.5 inch balloon smoothies, they start out at 3.25 inch and go up. I have used a lot of them:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD764&P=7

You say no moisture, does that mean you never blew up the Trexlers manually by blowing into them? Sorry just had to ask.

John
Old 02-04-2012, 03:20 PM
texflyer

Can I use Armor All® Protectant on rubber?

Yes. Armor All® Protectant products are specially designed to protect, clean and shine rubber surfaces. Using Armor All® Protectant regularly is an easy way to help protect your rubber surfaces from cracking, UV damage, fading or discoloration.

From Armor All web page.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Gonnacrash
My Feedback: (10)

TimLQ,

I wonder..........what would happen if one filled them with
"expand-a-foam" like you fill cracks with around windows
doors etc..........

Rubber goes away.....eh just paint the foam black !

Don - Basehor, Ks
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 AM
timLQ

Thanks for your suggestions. I have actually bought the Dubro Cub wheels as well, before I posted this thread. I like the big bouncy Trexlers. They just look way better than the Dubro's but that is about all that is out there. Sorry I didn't repond sooner but I was out of town.

Tim
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM
timLQ

I know, but that is one of the recommendations from latex manufacturer's. I don't use the Armor All either. Have a good day.

Tim
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
timLQ

Hi, thanks for the reponse. THe Dubro's are OK but just not wide like the Trexler's. Their Cub tires are better but still just don't cut the nostalgic requirement. And no, I never blew them up with my breath. They were blown up in the desert with less than 20% humidity using a Trexler pump. CU,

Tim
Old 02-06-2012, 08:35 AM
timLQ

Hi Gonnacrash,

Yeah, all my planes have use by dates on them also...the problem is that I never know when the date comes up. Actually, I know someone that tried the expansion foam and it was a big mess and the tires were never round again. It seems the latex takes the pressure of the expansion foam differently from section to section.

Tim
Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

I have a box of dead Trexler tires. Last week I was resurrecting an old plane that I had originally fitted trexlers to. (The tires lasted about 2 years before they had cracks and tiny holes. I threw them into the box). Anyway, I got the bright idea to try to repair the Trexlers. I used Goop. It worked! I have tested both tires for days at a time, and they both hold air! Just a thought for Trexler lovers.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:07 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be temporary beleive me... I've also tried the rubberized CA glues. I ended up making fake Trexlers with foam.

Got the foam and it took about 15 minutes to make two wheels. Wow was it easy. Cut a 4.5" square 2.5" thick, cut off the corners and then trimed the corners to get it semi round. Put a washer on a long bolt, stuck it through the approximate middle and chucked it in my drill press. Used a coarse foam sanding block and shaped it to a nice Trexler shape. Cut a concave area for the hub and then drilled out a 3/8" hole in the center and pressed my Trexler hubs through....

Step 2... fly it, fly it, and fly some more. Works awesome, no apparant wear and it doesn't collect dirt and sand. Asked people what they thought and they didn't even realize they were not blow up Trexlers until I told them...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25630.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	1826070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37849.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1826071  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

What I did was glue two Dave Brown wheels together, then put the wheel in my drill press and sand off the corners to round off like a Trexler wheel. Push in a Trexler hub and I think it makes a pretty good replacement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk28129.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1826118