Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 AM
astronomer1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

Are these hinges intended to be used on 1/2A planes? The ones I am referring to are Klett Plastics, Polypropylene Flex Point Hinges, RK-4, Small as shown in the attached sketch. Are they superior to CA hinges of similar size? By the looks of the instructions, installing them is essentially the same as CA hinges. The only difference that I see concerning installation is the use of epoxy as the adhesive instead of CA glue.

I’m trying to decide whether to use CA hinges or Flex Point hinges. I have both types on hand. Which hinges are the best?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jh15926.jpg (1.77 MB, 42 views)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Flex Point Hinges & 1/2A Planes

I don't see how they can be as good as the fuzzy sheet plastic hinges.
I suppose the Klett hinges work OK, but it's been so long since I used them I can't remember why I don't use them......besides just an instinctive aversion to things that look like they could fail.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Rendegade

I've used them, but I wasn't overly enamoured with them, as you not only have to drill a hole for the fin, you still have to carve a slot too, and sometimes they're noton the same axis, which can be a real headache.

IMO CA hinges are better as it's a simple knife slot andthe hinges are thin so you won't distort thin tail surfaces. Also they're easy to pin if you're really worried about them jumping off your plane.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/knot.htm

Take a look here. Scroll down to close sewn hinges. This is what I use, made of dental floss. One surface needs to be notched in the thickness of the floss so the surfaces will be close together at the hinge line. These hinges are very flexible, and I have never had one fail, even on 40 size CL airplanes.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Duane-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

I remember trying to use those in my early years! I may have better luck now, but back then I made a mess everytime I used them. CA hinges for me.