Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Return of Lunchbox..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Hwa224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Return of Lunchbox..

ORIGINAL: Bootnut

full speed into the door frame, 100% bad driving, its not too much bother to fix, just waitng for some parts to come.

I like the sound of that motor, Iv got that BZ in mine, im sure its that one, what ESC are you using? the stock one?

LOL. I hope the door frame's doing good.

I'm using a Venom VSC240 ESC for brushed motors only. It's waterproof, can ouput 240 amps forward.Has a built-in BEC,It handles 8t - 23t motors, and can also handle lipos.

They have those on ebay for about 20 bucks. I got mine for 18 and had it shipped from HK. I hesitate to recommend it, despite its price, only because of its short on/off switch. There's also a 320 version of the Venom which costs about 5 dollars more or so.

Anyway, the Venom Racing 13t motor is working great so far. It's considerably and noticeably faster than the BZ, especially on asphalt. I love that higher-pitched, almost whiffle whistling sound I get at top speed. It's oh so good. Without load, the motor can get the back tires to balloon quite a bit, even though they are glued on.

I've read a lot of bad stuff about Venom motors, about how they crap out and so on, but then again, I've read some good recommendations for them by people who've had them for years. I figure if this motor eats up its brushes, then that's not a problem. I've got a spare set. Or if something else goes wrong, then, that's not a problem I've got a Tamiya BZ as a back up and 20 dollars isn't a whole lot anyway; and then I can stop wondering what a 13t motor is lilke in a LB. Of course brushless is the next step but I have no desire for that setup considering how ridiculously undriveable LBs seem to be with them.

- -

magic2002 - that's a nice LB. Black is always good. I like the color scheme of the shocks and coils.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
MONSTERTRUCKRALLY

The Lunchbox hath arrived . . .

FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY. . . MONSTER TRUCK RALLY!

One man's road to glory.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Bootnut

nice one monstertruckrally,  now get building!

I found this, there are not many videos of this model, I can find the old type but not the monster version.. anyway its half the build he hasn't done the second part yet, asked him to make a driving video too, I really want one, need a new M chassis first though.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
Hwa224

I got a little arrogant with the LB and wasn't being careful about the carthweels of death with the resuilt being that myfront wheel broke. Or, the collar part of it that spaces out the wheel to give it clearance from the Lunchbox chassis/steering knuckle broke, and now I'm looking for new wheels.

What's I've discovered is that they are expensive everywhere you look. If the cheapest pair of wheels is about 20 dollars, I find that for other brands, such as Traxxas, very nice pair of wheels cost 8.

So now I'm going to look for some non-Tamiya wheels to spiff up my LB.

This thread is too bulky to search through again, but I have googled the subject elsewhere. Seems like any HPI wheel would fit as long as they come with the adaptors for the rear and the collars for the front?

The subject of wheels for the LB is not an easy one. In order to maintain gearing, 2x2.2s wheels and then any set of tires for them are good, correct?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Hwa224

I collected a few pics for my favorite LBs here:

http://imageshack.us/g/818/bdxkfyox.jpg/

I love this one:

Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM
MONSTERTRUCKRALLY

That gallery brought a tear to my eye.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Hwa224

I purchased HPI hex adapters and HPI collars for a few dollars each. And I went ahead and purchased the stock wheels and tires for the Traxxas Jato, the same as pictured above. These wheels are 2.8 inches in diameter, but with the tires the overall diameter is something like 4 inches, which is about the same as the stock Tamiya Lunchbox. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that LB tire are so huge and puffy relative to the wheels, that they had a good protective and shock-absorption function for the chassis and steering components. Without that, I'm afraid I'll be breaking some heavy duty stuff while bashing around with the Traxxas Jato tires.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure now that any HPI 2.2 wheel is good and any tire (there are lots) that can fit 2x2.2 wheels is good. The important thing is to mind overall diameter, which varies from tire to tire, in order to maintain gearing. I hope the Jato tires fit without a problem on the LB.

I've got an excellent theme/custom paintjob in mind for the Parma. And it's going to be a combination of the few LBs below:

(Posted by a few pages back by another user here)

More pics of the LB above:

IMO, the best Parma paint job ever:

-

From RC, to Circuitry, and now painting. I can't wait to get the body in.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am digging the Jato tires on there. I like the tires on the 'real flames' box too.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Hwa224

Here's a tip: If you have RTV silicone sealant, you can use that to create bushings for your Lunch Box.

I noticed some play coming from the lower control arms due to a tiny bit of movement that is possible there. So I applied a few dabs of sealant where the arms rest or poke into the chassis. The result is no more play and no more chassis noise - and no more wear, considering that you eliminate the plastic-to-plastic contact that occurs there. It's an instant bushing.

Venom VSC240 ESC...I hesitate to recommend it, despite its price, only because of its short on/off switch.

Hobby King sells on/off switches that connects in between the receivers and esc, for 2 dollars. I just made a purchase for one. Now I won't have to take the cover off to turn off the LB.

A cool LB video, which, BTW, makes me want to buy a Tamiya Tshirt:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcd5O5USNc[/youtube]

MonsterTruckRally,

I'm glad you like the LBs and I hope you'll enjoy fine-tuning and 'blingin' out your LB.

One of the best things about the LB in addition to all the home-made and other mods that are possible on it, is how extremely customizable the LB is. The van design gives a great deal of canvas space . And it's a classic look.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 PM
mechplas

Finally I have gotten around doing the mods on my LB....LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50592.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	1712327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83928.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1712328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57592.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1712329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78782.jpg
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1712330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68012.jpg
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1712331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp93523.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	1712332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wy50799.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1712333   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf17902.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1712334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay45401.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1712335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mz17691.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1712336  
Old 01-10-2012, 05:56 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi here is even a better way to take the front A arm slop out go find some thin walled heat shrink and push it over the ends and the play will be a thing of the past!

ORIGINAL: Hwa224

Here's a tip: If you have RTV silicone sealant, you can use that to create bushings for your Lunch Box.

I noticed some play coming from the lower control arms due to a tiny bit of movement that is possible there. So I applied a few dabs of sealant where the arms rest or poke into the chassis. The result is no more play and no more chassis noise - and no more wear, considering that you eliminate the plastic-to-plastic contact that occurs there. It's an instant bushing.

Venom VSC240 ESC... I hesitate to recommend it, despite its price, only because of its short on/off switch.

Hobby King sells on/off switches that connects in between the receivers and esc, for 2 dollars. I just made a purchase for one. Now I won't have to take the cover off to turn off the LB.

A cool LB video, which, BTW, makes me want to buy a Tamiya Tshirt:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEcd5O5USNc[/youtube]

MonsterTruckRally,

I'm glad you like the LBs and I hope you'll enjoy fine-tuning and 'blingin' out your LB.

One of the best things about the LB in addition to all the home-made and other mods that are possible on it, is how extremely customizable the LB is. The van design gives a great deal of canvas space . And it's a classic look.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM
lbshelfqueen

i used to use the little rubber caps that come on the end of the antena tubes.. they are a stretch but fit well...

now i have double wishbone front arms it seems to not have any play at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Hwa224

I considered the endcaps for the antennas, but I didn't think they'd be big enough. But that and the heat shrink are both great ideas, and both have the added potential of being aesthetically appealing in some way since they are available in different colors.

Anyway, the HPI hex adaptors do not directly fit on the Traxxas wheels. There is a center portion of them that probably fits into HPI wheels and has to be cutdown flat in order for the Traxxas wheels to fit. So I did that using my parts tree cutter. No big deal.

As expected, the wheels with the Victory tire set up seem to take away from handling and performance. The van seems to steer better but its corners now tend to jump more from bumps and impact. And also they are obviously smaller than the LB tires. So in one way or another the LB's top speed is slower. I tested in the snow in my backyard. I haven't tested the speed yet on dry asphalt.

I'm not sure if my LBlooks any better either considering how diminuitive the tires are in comparison to the stock. It's no longer a monster van!

(Sorry for poor picture quality)

All in all I like the wheels but I do not recommend the Victory tires. Traxxas and Proline have other tires that fit 2.8 traxxas rims, some of which are huge - close to 5 inches in overall diameter (the LB stock is about 4.3 inches). Proline Trenchers are big and are supposed to be good all-terrain tires with good durability. But they're probably too big. Traxxas Talons have good size to them. But I read they don't last very long and they're not very good anyway for traction. In the Goldilocks world of "too hot" and "too cold," the LB stock may be just right.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Bootnut

Part 2 of the wheelie kit is up if anyone is interested 

I think i'm going to get one once i finish all my current projects.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM
lbshelfqueen

i put a msc in my lunchbox, and ran a 2400 (7.2v) pack through it.. with the madbull gearbox, 15t motor and instant punch it tries to wheelie, not the best at cornering still even with fx10 front suspension. too top heavy.

not been brave enough to run a 9.6v pack yet. but it should fly!!!

and catch fire probably.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
northbrooksiii

If i new how to get pics on here, id show you guys how im building a 4x4 lb. Im using crawler king tranny and axles.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Hwa224

ORIGINAL: northbrooksiii

If i new how to get pics on here, id show you guys how im building a 4x4 lb. Im using crawler king tranny and axles.
You can either attach pics or post them here directly in the context of a post if you have pics hosted on an external website (such as imageshack).

Basically, just upload a few pics at imageshack, and get the url of that .jpg or image file and then follow this syntax:

[ img ] http://whereyourimagefileis.jpg [ /img]

(without spaces above)

Old 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Hwa224

lbshelfqueen,

Post a video if you ever strap a 9.6v on it.

A 4x4 LB and an LB
with double wishbone suspensions sound crazy to me but awesome.

Guys, definitely don't ever put Traxxas Victory tires on an LB. It makes the LB look small and because of the lack of rubbery volume on them, bumps and pebbles will be harsh. I've never seen so many cartwheels and so much chaos from running an LB
before.

On a brighter note, I finished painting the parma body and putting up some decals. I'll need to redo the decals with proper and thinner decal paper. And I'll need to touch up the grill. I like the overall design or the concept, anyway. But the execution is a bit lacking, even though it is my first try. I'm still waiting for the reamer to come in for the body mount holes.

Postedit:
Got the reamer in and a Decepticon chrome 3d decal in. Wasn't intending on putting on the body but tried it on anyway:

Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 PM
lbshelfqueen

to HWA224..

my lunchbox started out as a gold edition, but it took a couple of hard bashes and i decided to rebuild it. but i wanted to try to make it different, i fitted the fx10 front arms to give it the double wishbones at the front... no more silly camber. but the front was wider than the rear, i had a spare madbull gearbox that is wider than the lunchbox's but a very similar design.. a bit of cutting here and a tweak there and it fits perfectly. the suspension is a bit of a mix using shortened blackfoot springs and fighter buggy shock towers.

kinda works, very fast with a 15t motor and the higher gear ratio.. front wheels stay on the ground but corners hurt..

my 9.6v battery will be going on charge soon but takes up to 4 days
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Hwa224

^ I can recall your Madbull gearbox on the LB; it is transparent with colored gears. That's as cool an item as one can get. One thing I wish I had purchased while it was available a few days ago on flebay was that of an aluminum gear box cap (the cap that mounts the motor). Looked hella nice and not bad at 16 US dollars, free shipping.

Anyway, just for the looks of it, I got my Jato tires back on:

I'll be putting on Proline Trenchers on 2.8 Desperados soon. These tires should look OK on the LB, very much like the stock. And they are large and squishy, with a lot of bite, so performance should be pretty good on surfaces where the stock utterly fails.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:32 AM
lbshelfqueen

well i know now that the lunchbox gearbox is the best...

i put the 8 cell battery in my lunchbox (using madbull gearbox) and it lasted about 2 mins before stripping the gears.. but it flies !!

video is on its way!
Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 AM
lbshelfqueen

here is the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1dL...ature=youtu.be

one dead gearbox.. i kept driving untill it stopped.. about 30 seconds later
Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Hwa224

Nice video. You seem to be having lots of fun. Sorry about the gears. Were they colored gears? Like they say, though - You got to pay to play. LOL. 

Definitely very fast. In the smaller confines of my backyard, that speed would be cartoonish.

I like the wider stance of your LB. It looks racy. Post close ups of your LB!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Hwa224

I've got the Proline Trenchers on Proline 2.8 inch Desperado wheels now. They are way too big, but I like the aggressive looks. There are a few minor clearances issues the tires can rub against the body and springs when the shocks are compressed. The rears were rubbing against the motor wires but I pushed them out of the way so they're clear now. The car handles like crap though. Lots of tip overs due to the height of the tires (nearly 5 inches) but the Trenchers seem to be great on very rough terrain, and, I imagine, would do much better on deeper snows. One has to drive carefully when the Trenchers are on. Despite everything, I'm glad I got them. But I have reached the same conclusion I've reached a few posts ago: The best LB tires and wheels are the LB stock! I'm now a proud owner of three sets of different tires and wheels. BTW, the Jato Victory's aren't bad with a proper shock upgrade. They're predictable with better dampeners. And I'm also convinced that 80mm is the proper shock length (center eye to center eye) and that 85mm is too long, in case there's a confusion about that (and in case anyone from the google sky is reading this).Pictures of my LB w/ Trenchers after a dirty backyard bash:
Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Timmy2Tracks

Hey all! Thought I'd chime in with some pics of my Lunchbox...
My first RC was a Monster Beetle when it first came out. The minute I brought home the Monster Beetle I had buyers remorse; I wished I had gotten a Lunch Box instead. Many years later, I got myself one!
I did a few upgrades to fix it's shortcomings...
Junfac rear shock mount
Junfac aluminum front uprights/steering arms
Aluminum body posts
Aluminum (Gold Anodized) wheels (This is just for show)
RC4WD 90mm Dual Spring Shocks with soft springs
Hexscrews Plated hardware kit
Ofna 120,000 diff-lock grease in the gearbox to slow down the diff.
Full Bearings/Ballraces
Electrics are stock.

I use a lexan Lunchbox body for running.

Hope you like!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.