Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I am new

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I am new

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I am new

Come on guys, lets behave like adults in the Begginers forum. Let's don't scare'em away
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Hey, Jester S1...

based upon your Signature line, I think I might have an "ARF" or two that you might want!! Some of them require Much more rebuil... er, Assembly than the others!!

Craig.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have removed several posts from this thread. Some were because they were getting out of hand, and others that referred to the posts. Jester, yours was ok, it just referenced something that I deleted.

If you guys, and you know who you are, want to get into it, do it someplace else. No one wants to read condescending comments by either of you.

CGr.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Johnnysplits

Tito, If your interested, I have a brand new, never flown or even taxied Nexstar Select. The engine is broken in and runs excellent. All you need is your own radio equipment and receiver battery. I'll also throw in a futaba 4 ch. buddy box with the cord.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:25 AM
unix4linux

ORIGINAL: Johnnysplits

Tito, If your interested, I have a brand new, never flown or even taxied Nexstar Select. The engine is broken in and runs excellent. All you need is your own radio equipment and receiver battery. I'll also throw in a futaba 4 ch. buddy box with the cord.
I sent you a PM. Let me have a look at it with some pictures so that I can talk to some of the people I am going to meet this weekend and get some info. I am just trying to make sure it is what I need ...but looking forward to seeing what you have

Old 02-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Johnnysplits

Here you go Tito...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89701.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1721959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17229.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1721960  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Johnnysplits

Here's a couple more...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50964.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1721961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49509.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1721962  
Old 02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Johnnysplits

Tito, the Tx in that pic is the buddy box.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nexstars are well proven trainer planes. You'd do fine with it I'm sure.

Hey SeaJay, sounds like you're like me when you put one in- it's too much trouble to fix it, but it's still too valuable to just throw away! I've found though that most crashes, unless they are just straight in lawn darts, really aren't that much work to fix. I hear guys say it takes 6-10 hours to assemble an ARF, and it takes me about that long to repair most crashes. So the way I look at it, I can invest the same amount of effort and have a good flyer, minus the cost of a new ARF!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
fly24-7

You've gotten a lot of good advice thus far. One thing that I'm not sure has been emphasized strongly enough - pick a club that full of GOOD, FUN PEOPLE. Plenty of clubs have great facilities, great instructors and experienced fliers. None of that matters if you don't like hanging out with the guys. You have to be comfortable with the people and the group should fit you fit you like a glove.

Flying is fun. Flying with people who's company your REALLY enjoy is much more fun!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Jester, I usually try to fix them up, but some are just too far gone to even mess with.. I just crashed my Ultra Sport 1000 2 weekends ago, straight lawn dart, nothing slavageable except for the tail feathers... and for those who are curious, it was not Pilot error or "Dumb Thumbs" the plane stopped responding to any input. it was as if someone turned off the Receiver.. I am not sure if my battery pack dropped a cell, or if there was an issue with the switch harness or even the Rx itself.. Couldnt find the battery pack, so can't check that but wont use the switch or Rx untill completely tested..

Craig.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 PM
jester_s1

Those leftover tails make nice trophies. If you can get a plaque and mount it sticking straight out like some guys do dead deer it makes a nice conversation piece!

Luckily though, most crashes aren't total losses. The vast majority aren't as bad as they look structurally just because the plastic covering tears up so easily. I have a Cub that's on its 6th big repair, the 3rd caused by me!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

You've gotten a lot of good advice thus far. One thing that I'm not sure has been emphasized strongly enough - pick a club that full of GOOD, FUN PEOPLE. Plenty of clubs have great facilities, great instructors and experienced fliers. None of that matters if you don't like hanging out with the guys. You have to be comfortable with the people and the group should fit you fit you like a glove.

Flying is fun. Flying with people who's company your REALLY enjoy is much more fun!
It's interesting how it is said that there are "plenty" or "most" clubs have this or that, but with 2500 AMA clubs listed, how would one know for sure which club has what?

I think it would be great if someone created a list of clubs that included all the information that anyone, especially beginners would need. For example, each club would have their location, number of members, number of instructors, how to reach each instructor, times that help is available, which buddy-cords the club has, if the club provides instruction, if the club has trainer airplanes or simply a instructional rating system listed.

Fliers1
Old 02-02-2012, 04:44 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I think it would be great if someone created a list of clubs that included all the information that anyone, especially beginners would need.
That's a great idea !  Let us know when that database is done.   

Key info is already available via a search on the AMA 'Club' section, mainly contact names, e-mail and phone number. One could simply use Googlemaps for a given area and call the hobby shops for club location and other info, which is what I do when going on a trip.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 AM
CGRetired

Johnny: How did you get that Nexstar to hang horizontally like that?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 AM
CGRetired

Johnny: How did you get that Nexstar to hang horizontally like that?
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 AM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: eddieC

I think it would be great if someone created a list of clubs that included all the information that anyone, especially beginners would need.
That's a great idea ! Let us know when that database is done.

Key info is already available via a search on the AMA 'Club' section, mainly contact names, e-mail and phone number. One could simply use Googlemaps for a given area and call the hobby shops for club location and other info, which is what I do when going on a trip.

Since the database already exists on the AMA web site, then clubs could add all of the other information that BEGINNERS would be looking for. It's a lot easier than looking up clubs and making phone calls.

Fliers1
Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 AM
lopflyers

Hey Tito, I just remebered Sat at 10 is the monthly meeting, so you will get to know almost everyone, I work but am trying to go.
See u at the field[8D]
Old 02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
unix4linux

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Hey Tito, I just remebered Sat at 10 is the monthly meeting, so you will get to know almost everyone, I work but am trying to go.
See u at the field[8D]
Yep, Art filled me in. Hope to see you there . If not, there will be other times

Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 PM
jester_s1

It's not that hard to search for the clubs in one's area and shoot an email to the contact for each one. When they get back to you that will let you know what their training situation is like. Your first visit to the club field will then likely tell you everything you want to know about the club.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM
fliers1

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

It's not that hard to search for the clubs in one's area and shoot an email to the contact for each one. When they get back to you that will let you know what their training situation is like. Your first visit to the club field will then likely tell you everything you want to know about the club.
When I was running my flight school, I trained several hundred beginners over they years, they were from all over the US and Canada.
Most, if not all told me that they tried to call clubs in their area and too many times, for several reasons, no joy.
Too many times, they didn't get back to the caller. When they did get a reply, either the club no longer existed because they lost their field, or they weren't accepting new members, or some didn't have a training program. How difficult would it be for clubs to add flight training information on AMA's club list? It would make it so much easier for beginners to find the right club. Or possibly, there may be some clubs, for whatever reason, would not want such information known.

Fliers1
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
N52961

Hello Tito:

<o></o>

You must REALLY love your wife and your new 1 year old daughter.<o></o>

But you are in for a rude awakening.<o></o>

I have been in R/C for almost 40 years. And I can count on one hand the number of women and girls that paid ANY attention to R/C or R/C Planes.<o></o>

When you go to the shop to build, you will get questioned by your Wife… Hon, don’t you want to watch this [Hallmark] movie with me? THAT WAS NOT A QUESTION!<o></o>

Or Hon, give a hand to Lovely Daughter, she need help with her homework.<o></o>

THAT WAS NOT A REQUEST!<o></o>

And wait till you just disappear for an entire day out at the R/C field – You better have your HONEYDO List done!<o></o>

AND – AND – Wait till you give up the cars AND save the $10,000 - SO, why haven’t you spent it on me [her] yet!<o></o>

<o></o>

Hey, LOVE your Wife, Love your Daughter. But the only way you will even begin to be even ground is to have a BOY (baby) that in hopes will enjoy your hobby with you. That way you and Junior will have your time together AND you can pass it off as BABYSITTING. <o></o>

<o></o>

Now, the good side. YES – Join a club. That way MAYBE your Wife will meet other R/C Widows and can commiserate together. <o></o>

AND here us something your Wife may develop on her own… If not, introduce it some nighr when you two are on a second bottle of wine: Hey Honey, isn’t it GREAT that I have this hobby, you know where I am all the time… In the shop, at the field, at the club, on the computer or BABYSITTING.<o></o>

<o></o>

Bottom line – You will love R/C almost as much as you love your Wife. And after the kids are grown and you are retired you will still have a GREAT Hobby. And by then your Wife will be KICKING you out from under foot. Sending you out to the R/C Field ;-) FINALLY what you always wanted.<o></o>

<o></o>

Oh, ARF and RTF’s are a little fun, but you won’t learn anything until you Build – TRIM – and FLY the planes you build and design.<o></o>

<o></o>

All the best and have a BOY!<o></o>

<o></o>

Barry<o></o>

Old 02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
lopflyers

Hey we need an update! How did your first day go? Did you enjoy it? Did they assign you an instructor? Get back to us.
N52961, that is all so true. Have you being spying on me?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:52 AM
N52961

Hi LOP...Does that stand for Lean Of Peak?Don't need to spy on you... I lived it ;-) It is 10,000% True. Tito is the NIMROD... Hey do you guys use that term? It is NOT derogatory, in aviation formation it is a new pilot. AND then you wait till he makes his first screw-up so you can give him a Call Sign, which reflects his action.I’ve been in R/C for over 40 years. Been There, Done Most of That and learned from the other guys mistakes.  It’s cheaper that way ;-)Barry
Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 PM
unix4linux

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Hey we need an update! How did your first day go? Did you enjoy it? Did they assign you an instructor? Get back to us.
N52961, that is all so true. Have you being spying on me?
Hello All,

My first day was pretty awesome! I met with a very nice group of guys at Rocket City R/C club. They were very friendly and Art (President of the club), invited me out next week to try some of his trainers while I pick mine up in the meantime. They are pretty encouraging and looking forward to some sim time so that I can be up in the air soon. The group makes a heck of a difference.

This is going to be awesome!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.