Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 55 that won't start

Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
chris j
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 55 that won't start

I purchased a DLE55 from a fellow flyer on RCU. I received the engine and mounted on my plane. I immediately changed the spark plug by habit not knowing if it was bad or not. fueled it up tried starting the engine. The only thing happened was a loud pop as if it back fired. I pulled the plug out and found it "meaning the engine" was flooded. I tried to adjust the carb but nothing. I purchased a new carb from Tower and tried again. It still wouldn't start. in the process of pulling and reinstalling the plug the head was stripped. I then sent the engine to Tower to have it serviced. They replaced the cylinder head and piston ring, and in the e-mail they said they test fired the engine. I got my engine back and checked everything, the engine felt as if no oil was in the engine. I could feel the piston ring rubbing the cylinder wall. Well i mounted the engine again on my plane, fueled it up and tried to start it. It still pops and as if its backfiring but its not flooding. I even tried to adjust the high and low needles. One and a half turns for the high and one and quarter turns for the low. I'm really fustrated at whats going on with this engine. I've been going through the forum pages reading all the solutions JediJody and Capt have been helping the guys with, but i've tried three new Ngk cm6 plugs and fresh fuel. I've even tried an electric starter to no avail... Whats next guys? Maybe i'm missing something?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: DLE 55 that won't start

You need to get someone experienced with gasoline model engines to help you?

You make it sound as though you have the throttle all the way closed or open too far and if not, there is an air leak.

The rough feel you describe is typical of a new cylinder.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
chris j

I have a DLE 30, a Zenoa G26, an older 3W60, a 3W38, and a Brison 5.8 I've had some help, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. All the other engines i've listed i've never had a problem except the 3W38. I've got good compression with the 55, but just can't figure what's wrong.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you send your ignition in when tower serviced it? Try running it on the ignition module from your DLE 30. Maybe thats it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:48 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

Yes Check the ignition system. I use the meter I use to check my rx batts . I first put in the input or power line to the ignition and all the other accessible wiring as well.

Then I spin the engine with the plug out , but held ( or grounded) next to the cylinder.

It is gonna be difficult to see the spark in the day light , but shield it from the light .

I have had the same prob. Jodi suggested the test and solution.

I had had the older ignition system and newer ones have been improved.

I did the necessary mech replace of ignition and it never happened again.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My DLE 30 was doing the single "pop" thing, even with an electric starter on it. It hadn't flown since it had an unfortunate re-entry that broke the plug off and damaged the spark plug boot. Plug replaced and boot straightened up - and all it would do is pop.

I thought I'd try another ignition - and it lit right up like nothing had ever been wrong. FWIW, -Al
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

My DLE 30 was doing the single "pop" thing, even with an electric starter on it. It hadn't flown since it had an unfortunate re-entry that broke the plug off and damaged the spark plug boot. Plug replaced and boot straightened up - and all it would do is pop.

I thought I'd try another ignition - and it lit right up like nothing had ever been wrong. FWIW, -Al
I bet the boot on your non-working ignition needs re-doing. Everything has to be just right when repairing it. Capt,n
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a look at post 23, Jedi runs you through testing an ignition.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

RE: the bad ignition/boot - I'm going to replace the boot. I had it all apart, didn't really see anything wrong. Don't hear well enough to hear the snap of a spark occurring where it's not supposed to, didn't see anything, but thinking the internal resistor may have cracked or something. Dunno. The plug appears to spark normally - but there's no compression going on when I'm looking at it? Willing to gamble the price of a boot to know for sure...

This day, didn't have the time to screw around - had a chance to go flying in January. In Mi. that doesn't happen often enough. Replacing module a quick cure....
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
chris j

Kmeyers: Yes i sent the ignition in with the engine. and Hobbico said that they test ran the engine after replacing the cylinder and ring. why it won't run now? go figuer.
Ahicks: i replaced the ignition boot also and double checked my batteries. I had a friend recommend i check the back plate for an air leak or a crack. so thats the next thing to do.
Thanks guys for the suggestions I'm not giving up yet.