Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Servos go crazy- do I need a new transmitter and reciever?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Servos go crazy- do I need a new transmitter and reciever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Veraster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servos go crazy- do I need a new transmitter and reciever?

Ok so on my airplane, I have an old Century 7 transmitter and reciever. Sometimes all the servos go crazy. They will get stuck at their max extents or go back and forth in a twitch-like way. Sometimes they dont do that but it doesnt seem like a good idea to attempt to fly if it does that.

I have determined it has something to do with the transmitter because when I have power to the battery but not the transmitter it doesnt do that. When I have them both on is when it goes crazy. I doubt there is a way to fix that but if there is please tell me. I got a lot of money back from paying too much taxes last year so I can actually afford a new transmitter right now.

So what is the most inexpensive but still reliable 7 channel transmitter with reciever system I can get? I have a 4.8 volt battery by the way. I dont know if recievers fit 4.8 and 6 volt or if I have to make sure I get a special kind for my battery.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM
tigrejohn
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Servos go crazy- do I need a new transmitter and reciever?

Sounds like you have an intermittent problem with your transmitter, or your transmitter battery is going down the toilet. If you had an interference problem, your receiver and servos would go nuts with the transmitter off. If you want a minimum cost replacement, Look at the Hobbyking 7ch, 2.4 radio for $50.00 + shipping. Its a bare minimum unit: Tx/Rx, & bind plug. Appears no batteries are supplied, no specs given. There are other low cost brands out there (Corona, Turnigy, Frsky, ?). But the question with all those, what is their reliability and what tech support/repair is available in the USA. Others can pipe in with their comments; I'm not really familiar with those brands.

Myself, I use a Futaba 7C (7ch, 2.4, $280) and an Airtronics RDS8000 (8ch, 2.4, $220). Have had no problems with either of them in up to 5 years. Both are computerized multi-model radios. Of course, there are new and used 72mhz systems still available, both analog or computerized. Depends on what you have versus want you want. If your your going to be a single airplane modeler, get a used analog 72mhz radio. If you are thinking about having eventually multiple models with one transmitter, get a computerized transmitter(72 or 2.4), otherwise you will go nuts adjusting trims on an analog when changing models.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get out of the cave and into the sunshine.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
luker737
My Feedback: (11)

Go to the buy& sell section here and look at some of the transmitters for sale. You can get some real good deal for a transmitter that someone is getting a newer one and is selling there old one . There are a lot of 72 mags and some 2.4 for sell
Old 02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Get out of the cave and into the sunshine.
I agree. See what happens when you step away from the plane with the transmitter. Sometimes (especially when the batteries are fully charged) if the Tx is too close, the Rx will get "swamped" with signal and go crazy.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And... sometimes it might be the servos that get swamped. I've got Hitec 835s on a recent build, and have this problem with ailerons only. My guess is that the extensions (only the ailerons have extensions) act like antennas and carry RF into the servos. 6-8 feet away from plane, there is no problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Have you tested your batteries? If one is going bad it could cause the problem you're having. That said, a good computerized transmitter is the best investment you can possibly make in this hobby. Personally, I'd stay away from the cheapie brands just due to quality control concerns. If you have one big crash due to a faulty transmitter it will cost more than you saved over a quality unit.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You have a good JR radio of high quality so why not use it!?? I still use my 1994 JR X388 radio.
Check that the batteries in transmitter and receiver/servo are good. If the batteries are as old as the radio it self, replace them with 2000-2800mAh NiMH cells. You need eight of those for the transmitter and four or five for the receiver/servos, or if you won't solder packs together yourself, two welded sets!