Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Looking for electric 4wd buggy, 25-30mph for around $150 ($190 max)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Looking for electric 4wd buggy, 25-30mph for around $150 ($190 max)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
xmod3563

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for electric 4wd buggy, 25-30mph for around $150 ($190 max)

I am looking to buy a 4wd buggy for around $150 (up to about $190 max).

This buggy will be used primarily for driving through the grass and light bashing (nothing crazy). I know buggies are not the best for driving through the grass but the only 4wd SC truck that is near my budget is the HobbyKing Trooper and I am unwilling to wait 2-3 weeks to get parts from Hong Kong.

I would like the buggy to be able to go at least 25-30mph.

MegaE 10Xb..... initially looked good but then i read on another forum of a dude who installed a 2s Lipo and his motor caught on fire. That spooked me because I am definitely going to run at least a 2s Lipo.

Tamiya DF-02..... kit car that is very inexpensive but this dude [link=http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?p=2458089&highlight=speed#post2458089]here[/link] kind of scared me. he seems really knowledgeable and seems to imply there are better alternatives to the DF-02 nowadays. i would like to know what better alternatives are out there.

Are there any other buggies I should look into?

Also, parts support needs to be good.

No Exceed or RedCat please.... there parts support sucks (I know because I have vehicles from each brand).
Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Looking for electric 4wd buggy, 25-30mph for around $150 ($190 max)

whats so scary about the DF-02 that he says?
Own 2 of them great RC's probably one of my more favorite ones. Also one of the cheapest 4wd buggies to get running that I can think of.
Be advised if you are planning on going 40-50mph it will cost some cash(any one will)

http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html cheapest BL setup you can get for it. Use it in mine, and it makes mine go damn fast with no issues.

Few things I disagree with one is the need to replace the center driveshaft I've had mine 2 years with the stock plastic center shaft with no issues. I've broken a chassis, a shock tower, and shocks, but that stock driveshaft a lot of people say to replace is still going good.
Other one is some of the info about the aluminum. Alum knuckles, C-hubs, and front shock towers are recommended in my book. But the stocks will last a while just replace after they break.

Will say I agree with avoiding yeah racing though I've tried their junk(and I do mean junk) a few times always to be disappointed in the end

Only real mod I would do straight out of the box is described in this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10089079/tm.htm and in all honesty to do my 2 DF-02's it cost me literally $3 in parts, and 5 minutes of time. The DF-02 threads also have a few others like reinforcing the aluminum shock towers with either carbon fiber, or a piece of aluminum to prevent them from breaking.
Side note the shocks that come with the DF-02 SUCK BIG TIME. Decent shocks will cost $30 for a set. To offset the cost you could sell the stock ESC, and motor I heard of people getting $40 for the set on ebay

Might also need the CVD's, and diff outdrives to handle brushless I dunno I never tried brushless on the stocks seeing I found the set for under $40 shipped when I wanted them.

Sounds like a lot but I spread that out over time of owning it when a part broke I just bought an upgrade.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM
xmod3563

Ok, thanks for the advice. If I'm leaning towards getting the DF-02 but will probably put bigger tires on it vs stock. What kind of gearing should be done to the car with slightly bigger tires (say SC sized tires) do to prevent overheating with, for example, a 3000Kv brushless?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run 4000kv(or was it 3900kv) in mine so a 3000kv might be fine. Only real issue with it is the lack of pinion choices.
The choices range from 16t-19t for motor mounting positions.
I've ran monster truck tires on my one when it was brushed with a 17t pinion without it burning out the motor, and I've ran stadium truck tires on my other to no ill effect with the brushless setup I got in it now.

Side note due to the battery layout, and compartment size this is the only lipo I've had that fits it almost perfectly without having to do major modifications http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14976
Only thing I had to do was put a longer screw in the battery hold down spacer, and leave it loose
I tried 5 other batteries, and either I would have had to do a fair bit of modification(and still never got it in solid), the battery flew out, or the battery wires due to where the wires came out hit the steering setup which prevented the DF-02 from turning.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Kylar
My Feedback: (42)

Does it have to be a Buggy? For what you want to do I would look more into a stadium truck or 2wd monster truck. Duratrax evaders are cheap, durable and parts are easy to find. Same thing with a bandit, rustler and stampede. Maybe the electrixline up also.

The cars I listed will probably be easier and quicker to find parts for also.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to let the OP know

lots of people go online to complain and cry about either a rare manufactures defect or incompetence. Sometimes people make up fake stories just to bash something.

honestly you dont NEED 4wd, 2wd will be more rugged, faster and easier to work on, just get some big spikey tires for the grass.