Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

So THAT'S how you're stripping your gears........[img]../../punymce/plugins/emoticons/img/trans.gif[/img] 8^)

We'll see how it goes with my hopped-up Evaders. So far it seems I've got some good tranny parts, and good grease and I should get some good mileage out of them before I need to replace the whole tranny.. (They can't last forever, right?) Right now, I'm happy as a Veyron owner with an un-limited gas card. As long as DTX gets their part numbers straight with these new brushless parts, we Vader faithful should be good for years of bashing.

Iwonder if we should close this thread and start a new one, if needed , for the Brushless Evader? Whata you guys think? Seems to me we've answered just about all the questions about the EXT2 most newcomers could come up with. Or am Ijust feeling good tonite?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id say keep it all in this thread. This thread is for all versions of the evader, so its helpful to all. Im not convinced yet that they have fixed all the transmission issues, and the brushless is the same vehicle other than a couple small things (other than the obvious electronics).

I know they have to make money, but i feel the brushless evader is overpriced. It costs as much as the T4.1 brushless which is a better truck. They would have been much better off if they could have come in around $180 with it, but I dont guess it matters.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
JRockZ

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

So THAT'S how you're stripping your gears.......
No worse than the videos of the brushless evader in the skate parks i wouldnt think but i have seen worse there is a thread over at URC ultimate RC forums where a guy busted his whole trans case in half LOL.

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

they could have come in around $180 with it, but I dont guess it matters
You know they will come down in price soon considering it's not really new anymore anyhow.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 AM
EXT2Rob

Iactually made contact with a rep at DuraTrax! In fact he CALLED me! Nice guy. We talked for about a half hour. He told me that he an a couple guys from R&D sat down with two tranny cases old and new and old & new tranny parts. They were able to assemble the new parts in the old tranny case no problem. He did say that a few months ago, they had a bad batch of tranny cases that were warped. And that they have gotten top gears that were not right. They will replace any such part. We talked about grease. He uses TrakPower grease himself. (was Iright or was Iright?) He asked if Ihad any othert issues with the car. Said that he's seen a lot of rear hub carrier issues, people breaking them. I've never had issues with them. Hobbico just bought Axial and Armra. They worked for two years on the new BL Vader. They even had some R&Dguys running the new metal diff in a NITRO car, trying to destroy it. About the top gear being wider, he said, yep it is but it should fit the old case. He suggested EGbasher send his top gear and tranny case that he couldn't get to fit back to them for examination and that they'd send him a new one. He really was trying to be helpful. He appoligized for not answering all the questions in a recent email we spoke about. Admitting he dropped the ball on that. "From Christmas till about February we're absolutly slammed around here. No one gets a day off till after February." Ican't remember all the stuff we talked about. But my opinion of DTX has gone up a few ticks.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
cubnpede82

Good to hear they try with CS... I'm looking at getting a new truck, a 1/10 Stadium Truck to compare to my Pede Racer project. I'm really torn between the new BL offerings from AE, HPI, and Duratrax... also looking at getting a Rustler VXL to compare with. Hope to hear more on here about the new Brushless model of the Evader...
If you'd like to see the Pede Racer project, it's up on the Tube... hope to get running video but it's snowing more here today.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

EXT2Rob
I'm glad that you got in contact with them, and they were helpful. There is a part of me that wants to seeDTX do well. I guess I just root for the underdog. When I got my kid's vader in 2008, the fella at the LHS was trying to sell me anything but. We ran his vader out and promptly got one on Ebay.The only RC's we had had before were Tyco Turbo Bandits and Radio Shack stuff. So these were a big jump. In the end, LHS guy was right.

We had a lot of days wheremy boy's would break or mine would break. And some daysboth would break! So, being an old motocrosser and a frusterated mechanical engineer, Isought to bulletproof ourtrucks. Now they fly anddon't break.

I have friend that saw our vaders' at Christmas this year. He was impressed with mine at the time.Wheelies, roost, probably about . . .3/4 HP. He wanted one, but I did not recommend DTX. I said, for the money I spent on this, get an Associated / HPI /Traxxas . . . whatever. I did not want to see a friend of mine get this vehicle and get really pi$$ed with it . . and me for recommending it.Their QC and customer service issues havehurt them. You get enough owners saying stuff like that,and you won't be selling many Evaders.

We still have ours. I recenlty went brushless on my kids. (TACON 3200 KV / EZRUN 35A) . . . Associated gear diff. We'll see how bulletproof it is now He's a maniac with it. We'll hold on to them bc they are a LOTof fun.But seeing whatI've seen, I'm a "Friends don't let Friends drive Duratrax guy". Most people don't want to dowhatI've done. They want an RCtruck that they can take out and RUN. If I was in the 1/8 scale market, i would not touch their new buggy either.

I will say one thing though. The EXT shells are getting real beat up. I do like the graphics on the BL's. May have to get one.

Best of luck with yours.

NTR

Iactually made contact with a rep at DuraTrax! In fact he CALLED me! Nice guy. We talked for about a half hour. He told me that he an a couple guys from R&D sat down with two tranny cases old and new and old & new tranny parts. They were able to assemble the new parts in the old tranny case no problem. He did say that a few months ago, they had a bad batch of tranny cases that were warped. And that they have gotten top gears that were not right. They will replace any such part. We talked about grease. He uses TrakPower grease himself. (was Iright or was Iright?) He asked if Ihad any othert issues with the car. Said that he's seen a lot of rear hub carrier issues, people breaking them. I've never had issues with them. Hobbico just bought Axial and Armra. They worked for two years on the new BL Vader. They even had some R&Dguys running the new metal diff in a NITRO car, trying to destroy it. About the top gear being wider, he said, yep it is but it should fit the old case. He suggested EGbasher send his top gear and tranny case that he couldn't get to fit back to them for examination and that they'd send him a new one. He really was trying to be helpful. He appoligized for not answering all the questions in a recent email we spoke about. Admitting he dropped the ball on that. "From Christmas till about February we're absolutly slammed around here. No one gets a day off till after February." Ican't remember all the stuff we talked about. But my opinion of DTX has gone up a few ticks.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
NoTraxxisRustler

Remember the part where I said I souped my kid's vader up, and we'd see how bullet proof it was. He cleaned the left front suspension arm off of the bulkhead

Oh well he was going proabably 25 mph into a cement curb . .

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

EXT2Rob
I'm glad that you got in contact with them, and they were helpful. There is a part of me that wants to seeDTX do well. I guess I just root for the underdog. When I got my kid's vader in 2008, the fella at the LHS was trying to sell me anything but. We ran his vader out and promptly got one on Ebay.The only RC's we had had before were Tyco Turbo Bandits and Radio Shack stuff. So these were a big jump. In the end, LHS guy was right.

We had a lot of days wheremy boy's would break or mine would break. And some daysboth would break! So, being an old motocrosser and a frusterated mechanical engineer, Isought to bulletproof ourtrucks. Now they fly anddon't break.

I have friend that saw our vaders' at Christmas this year. He was impressed with mine at the time.Wheelies, roost, probably about . . .3/4 HP. He wanted one, but I did not recommend DTX. I said, for the money I spent on this, get an Associated / HPI /Traxxas . . . whatever. I did not want to see a friend of mine get this vehicle and get really pi$$ed with it . . and me for recommending it.Their QC and customer service issues havehurt them. You get enough owners saying stuff like that,and you won't be selling many Evaders.

We still have ours. I recenlty went brushless on my kids. (TACON 3200 KV / EZRUN 35A) . . . Associated gear diff. We'll see how bulletproof it is now He's a maniac with it. We'll hold on to them bc they are a LOTof fun.But seeing whatI've seen, I'm a "Friends don't let Friends drive Duratrax guy". Most people don't want to dowhatI've done. They want an RCtruck that they can take out and RUN. If I was in the 1/8 scale market, i would not touch their new buggy either.

I will say one thing though. The EXT shells are getting real beat up. I do like the graphics on the BL's. May have to get one.

Best of luck with yours.

NTR

Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
whitehawk
My Feedback: (3)

Just wondering...

I have an Evader EXT. I recently bought and installed the ball bearing set upgrade. Of the 14 new bearings, I installed 10. I did not mess with the bushing at the end of the drive shaft because I couldn't figure out how to get it out without causing damage. I also did not replace the two bushings at the spur gear because I does not appear that I have the same size bearings left over (4 out of the pkg. of 14). Can someone tell me if I did something wrong...should I have been able to use up all 14 new bearings?

Thanks, Tim
Old 02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
cumquat

2 in each front wheel, 2 in each rear hub carrier and 6 in the gearbox. the bushing for the spur is not supposed to be replaced. what bushings couldn't you get out? i cant picture what you're talking about.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
whitehawk

Is there anything tricky about installing CV shafts on my EXT? Are any springs used in conjunction with these shafts? Do I have to change any other parts like the differential output shafts?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
cumquat

as far as i know, the hardest part is removing the pin that is used to drove the wheel. no need to mess with the gearbox.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: whitehawk

Is there anything tricky about installing CV shafts on my EXT? Are any springs used in conjunction with these shafts? Do I have to change any other parts like the differential output shafts?
as long as you get the EXT spec CV shafts you won't need the springs any more, just pull the spring pin from your old wheel axle's and pull um out then pop in the new CVD's easy stuff... you'll also have to pop off the camber link but thats easy just rotate it around the axis of the turn buckle with a pair of pliers...

the lug
Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
EXT2Rob

ORIGINAL: NoTraxxisRustler

I have friend that saw our vaders' at Christmas this year. He was impressed with mine at the time.Wheelies, roost, probably about . . .3/4 HP. He wanted one, but I did not recommend DTX. I said, for the money I spent on this, get an Associated / HPI /Traxxas . . . whatever. I did not want to see a friend of mine get this vehicle and get really pi$$ed with it . . and me for recommending it.

NTR

Yeah, ya know, you're probably right about that. Except for the fact that we were running them into trees and busting chassis and bulkheads and shocktowers, all due to our lack of experience. I'm surprised how well it did hold up. The top gear issues we had were either our crappy driving, improperly set slippers, or a batch of defective gears. Yeah, an experienced drive should look toward an AE/HPI/Traxxas. I'm eyeing that AE SC10. But Ican't fault DTX for putting out a decent entry-level truck for a decent price (IMHO). I mean, they got me hooked! And the overall learning experience has been enjoyable.

Rob

Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 AM
EXT2Rob

Hey guys,  who here has noticed that the steering linkages in the servo-saver assembly have gotten loose, causing a great deal of play in the front wheels?  And what have you done about it?  What is it that wears out? The brass bushings the SS pins go into?  I can't tell!  I keep trying to isolate what it is that's loose, but I can't seem to.  The car is a year old.  New ones aren't like this, so something has worn, just can't tell what.

BTW, opened the tranny again the other day, and the gears all look perfect!  Top Gear shows hardly any wear, if at all. The metal diff is holding up well.  Just needed a little re-greasing.  That TrakPower Gear Grease is the BOMB!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM
cumquat

i have officially decommissioned the evader. i have stripped it of its electronics and it now sits in pieces on a shelf. i may eventually reassemble it, soup it up (custom metal parts, gear box transplant, roll cage with hand formed body panels etc.) and beat the snot out of it or give it to my cousin. i'll still hang around and answer questions if i can but i wont be running it any time soon.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM
whitehawk

The rear chassis plate was getting really scraped up and the rear suspension was way too soft. It turns out the oil had completely leaked out of one rear shocks and halfway out of the other rear shock. The shocks look fine and seem to function normally...don't know how/why the oil leaked out.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
rclugnut10

usually they do from the factory :/ i'd pick up some 30wt oil and new o rings, and some team assocaiated green slime (goes on o rings) and rebuild um, an they should be fine

the lug
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
whitehawk

I would like to get a little more top speed...can someone recommend a pinion/spur combination that would still work with a all stock setup?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
cumquat

well, you could run 70/35 but thats just asking or trouble. i'd say try getting a Robinson 78t spur to start. that'll solve your desire for speed and the issue with the stock being off-center. i cant remember for sure but i believe this will work http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEY39&P=7
Old 02-28-2012, 05:06 PM
dtxandtrx

Hey guys ive been apart of the fourms for a long time and recently just bought a second evader ext2. Ive had about 5-7 runs and i went in for maintenence. I was taking a look at the spur and pinion and the complete slipper assembelly was moving back and forth about a mm and i was wondering if this is a big problem. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
cumquat

mine did that too. doesnt seem to be an issue.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
dtxandtrx

Do you know of any kind of solution because i just stripped a spur gear because the spur came half off the pinion.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 AM
rclugnut10

i would take apart the tranny and figure out where the play is coming from and where you can put shims or washers to fix it up

these should help

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYGH9&P=7

the lug
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 AM
dtxandtrx

Thanks guys i really like my new evader and will post back what the problem seemed to be.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM
E90

Hey guys, can somebody help.
How do I align my spur gear and pinion? There is not enough room on the motor shaft for the pinion to slide in any further.
Would I shim the spur gear? If so, where do I start shimming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.