Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Nergall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Well, the Ultra Stick doesn't come as a kit, so....
Old 12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which is better a 65 Mustang GT or a 2009 Mustang GT? The original Ugly Stick was designed when 1 out 10 flights you tore up your plane, so the Original is a very tough plane; about as crash-proof a plane ever designed. The Ultra Stick trades the toughness for lightness. Performance is up only because it is a lighter plane. Cut weight out of an original and it will be similar; add bigger control surfaces if you need them.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:55 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Here's my version as a low winger and for 1/2A engines. Span is 36" and all up weight is 14 ounces. The key to a good Stik is low wing loading although I've seen some pretty heavy ones do pretty well.

I retained the dihedral,,, I find that a flat wing has a droopy look to it. Just a tad of dihedral takes that out.

Here, you can see it fly on a very windy day. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4757217&hl=en#

It was originally built as a shoulder winger and was pictured in my article in Flying Models as a test bed for getting good throttling in 1/2A engines. I took the RCM plans and blew them up to a TLAR size. That means that this one is exact scale, no extended wings, deeper fuse etc.

The original, shoulder wing version lasted some 8 years and when it was retired, the wing and stab was found to be undamaged. So it was re-built as a low winger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30946.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1392507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58979.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	1392508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57665.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	1392509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng99970.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	1392510  
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 AM
AndyW

And I have no idea as to why the pics are super-sized but look to the bar at the bottom and scroll to the right.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 AM
build gusto

Hi: I would like pdf files of the kraft ugly stick or Jensen ugly stick. I have bits and pieces but not the whole plan. Thanks: Tom at [email protected].
Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 PM
flying pastor

If you google...free ugly stik plans...you will find some sites with free downloads. I built mine a while back from one of these sites using the tiled option. They are a great model that is easy to build and a good solid flyer.
All the best ........ Chris UK.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
The sign man

For an excellent short kit www.lasershortkits.com
Follows the old original Jensen plans with a couple great modifications, better wing spar, bolt down wing, etc.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 PM
The sign man

set your picture size down in your digital camera to e-mail quality, no need to use such high resolution
Old 09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
deadstick1955

I would love to have a copy of the ugly stick plans. Would you please email me a set. Thanks, Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 PM
tony0707

hi
flying rc for 20 years ,a 40 size midwest ugly stick was may second plane ,still have it just flew it this week ( sept 2010 )-the plane is always an enjoyable day at the fieldi have a 20 size-( my third plane )-two 60 size -and have more flights on my 60 size than any other plane i own ( about 1500 plus flights) all have had flat wings except the 40 stik -it was flat a long time but has anheadral nowit flys better than it ever has with anheadral-,less control coupling than ever before just flip you diaheadral wing over with the servo on top of the wing-you are in for a treat-best flyer yet that wayhave a 46 evolution in my 20 stik now- an asp 75 ( os 7d carb ) in one 60 stik -and a new 75 ax in the other ( the 75ax is crazy power -turns a 14/6 apc at 11,300 rpms more power than my os 91 fx ) yes it flys great with a 75 i am into hot rod performance from all the planes i build and fly-and have many of the great classic rc planes and always go back to my stiks -i just enjoy a day of flying with them thats my stik story- you just got to love them-my trainner flying 30 years when i met him flew a 40 size stik most of the time and the man could fly anything and everything, the test pilot at my field in N.Ybut that was what he chose to do-,that says a lot about his regard for the planes design -the stik is a plane designed for rc flight from its very beginningENJOY BEST REGARDS TONY

Name:	Mj24508.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	1502613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15495.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	1502614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86412.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1502615  
Old 09-17-2010, 07:16 PM
tony0707

hi
model aviation magazine -was selling plans for a midwest 60 size sweet stik some time ago cost was 15.00 TONY
Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
whitefeather93x

a pdf of the das ugly stick plans would be very helpful. i remember see them being flown at the local flying field.being able to build one would be great as most of the kits that call themslves sticks are tail draggers and i would like one in tri-gear as the original. thank you
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Cliff Ozier

I still have my Jensen Ugly Stick from '71 and last flown in '83 but soon to be back in the air.
One of the best planes out there. Can be mild to wild. I'd never recommend a 'Trainer'.
Get a stick and have some fun. There a lot of places to get a stick kit or plans.

For plans files you can take to a (real) printer go to Uncle Willies Plans, he's got 4 or 5 versions of plans.
These are Kraft plans and don't really cost that much to have printed.
http://*****************.com/about36.html (if you get offended by his stuff then oh well)

RCM has printed plans - http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1753
I think these guys make short kit http://lazer-works.com/index.html
Another short kit http://www.lasershortkits.com/doc/UglyStik.pdf
I thought I had a link for a guy somewhere in the SE. but I can't find it right now.

Hmmm, I think I'll build another...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM

When Phil Kraft first designed the airplane that became the Ugly stick, he called it the "Boxfli". A friend of his suggested he modify it to look like a German warplane and it became the Ugly Stick. During the development of the KP-4 Proportional system Mr Kraft would close the shop and the whole crew would drive(about 3 blocks) to Whittier Narrows to watch him fly. This was in 1964.
I would add that I was the setup and repair tech for Kraft Reed Systems and single channel equipment. I was at work the Monday that Mr. Kraft brought the "Boxfli" in to show the employees. The friend that suggested changing it to look like a German fighter was All Bowman. He was our supplier from 3M. I remember Jerry Pullen there working on the design of the new system. Don Mathes was a partner of Kraft Systems at that time before going on to form Micro Avionics. Kraft Systems was my first job after high school. I was trained by Maurice Franklin on Reed Systems and single channels.

Last edited by 51.50; 06-26-2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: detail
Old 01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
wilde

coors bay lumbar is 1000%correct. nowhere did he refer to the article in grid leaks original article. i have the monthly flyer he referred to ,but have not been able to insert the relative part from the page, into a posting . the flyer could be dated by
an "old fart" like me, if he knows when R Jess Krier's Sky coupe and Sky Squire were kitted. They are on the same page.

On checking whether my posting was inserted ,the posting on page 7 dated it as 1964. Anyone differ?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM
scubajohn

hi yall
i just bought a saito 300 twin four stroke i want to build a stick for it how big should i go any help would be great i am considering the anhidral wing so i am up for all ideas i am building a ace 4-60 a coursair augly stik and a 5th scale waco with a dle thirty where do i get dope by the gallon and silk and a playboy jr with a olhsson 23

Name:	Us54321.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1543108  
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:14 AM
drno4313

New to the forum.......This is great - I've been out of flying for a number of years, but I loved my Ugly Stik! I just ordered the RCMplans.... Do they come with a materials list? I've never scratch built a plane (many kits) but loved this plane so much, I've decided to build one. Appreciate any insights to materials lists - hguess I can always figure it out from the plans...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 AM
rickbrad
My Feedback: (30)

I bought a completely trashed 40 size and stripped it down and recovered it. Another friend at our field pulled a crashed one out of the trash barrel and took it home as a project.

My before and after:

Old 05-14-2011, 12:45 PM
GKNIPP

OK, I have aquestion for all of you Stik gurus. I have aquired a 2 sets of the Midwest Sweet Stik plans. The first set is an older version which shows a 54" flat wing and utilizes bellcranks for the ailerons and the second set is circa 1984 and has a 52 1/4" wingspan with approx 1 degree dihedral per panel.
My first question is does anyone know the history behind the Midwest Stiks? When were they initially released?
My second question has to do with build options. I am going to use the newer version plans which shows dihedral. Simply dihedral or no dihedral? Also, I am leaning towards a taildragger versus trike gear. I am assuming that is the accepted method, correct?
My last question is what are you guys using for tailwheel assemblies on the taildraggers and could you post pictures please? I have a Sullivan tailwheel assembly which I am going to set up in castoring mode because the traditional round vertical fin does not allow the use of those light springs. Again, am I on the right track here?
Thanks in advance so much for any help and direction.

Greg Knipp
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Cliff Ozier

no dihedral
taildragger with tail skid is all u need
or do steerable skid
enjoy
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 AM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the history behind the Midwest Stiks? When were they initially released?
I built my Sweet Stik and was flying it in the summer of 1972, so it must have come out in 1971 because I am a very slow builder.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Nergall

No bellcranks and probably no dihedral - depends on how you want to fly it. My Stick has a small amount of dihedral and fights doing knife edges as a result. If you don't do those then a little bit probably makes it easier to fly.

Trike or tail dragger as you prefer.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
wing_nutt

Has anyone built or flown the Das Little Stick (RCM plan #541). I would like to know how they fly. I just found a set of plans of this one in my shop that I bought some time ago, and decided to build this little bird as an electric. The plane has a 36” wing span. I have a 40 size Ugly Stick now that is always fun to fly and thought a smaller electric would be a nice plane to keep in the car. I will post some pics is she takes shape.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:22 PM
ratshooter

Das Little Stiks are fantastic planes. They are what I really learend to fly on. when I took lessons I pretty much watched the instructor fly my plane. There were no buddy boxes back then in 1979. So I would go fly by myself. I would break a few props and skin up my plane but in just a short timeI was flying solo.

If I can post this you can take this file to Staples and they can make a 46" sized plan. Perfect for a Little Stik. Cut the small plan up and have it enlarged by 25% and it has about a 58" wingspan. Do it 20% and its just about a 54" wingspan.

I got this file right here on RCU so thank another poster for it. I just don't remember who.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cz79801.pdf (1.26 MB, 178 views)
Old 02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
ratshooter

Okay that worked. If you move this file to a disc be sure you save the disc as a PDF file. That way Staples can find the file. To make a larger plane (they can only print 36"x48" sized paper) cut the plane in three sizes. The fuse just behind the tail and just in front of the firewall and the wings in two pieces. Have the plans scanned up to 25%.

Now for me I prefer a tail dragger for grass fields. I almost never break a prop with a tail dragger. I also like dihedral. I don't like to have to fly a plane all the time. I like to fly to the edge of my vision and just watch a plane fly all the way to the other edge with little to no imput from me. But these still do stunts just fine. And thats what I like. Thats the good thing about Stiks, They can be set up for everyones taste. There is no wrong way to build one of these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.