Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

what grease for the shaft ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

what grease for the shaft ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 AM
almaidah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what grease for the shaft ?

what grease for the shaft ? what do you use?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: what grease for the shaft ?

im intrested to know too, I was planing to use HT wheelbearing grease.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:33 PM
almaidah

I think I heard that thats not good to use
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 AM
phmaximus

did they say why??? might hold off filling up mine till i can find out
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 AM
almaidah

I believe they said it's not water proof
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 AM
Diesel6401
My Feedback: (1)

Grimracer Speed Grease
Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 AM
phmaximus

cheerz just ordered some, was only $7 including postage

hey my boat has a grease nipple, do i just use a syringe and some tubing to fill it??? Dont want to empty my grease gun for such a little amount of grease
Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this post failed, 500 server error????
Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 AM
amrharrymac

Some of those grease nipples have a little check-ball in the end and it might not take grease unless it is pushed in; if thats the case you might have to unscrew the nipple first, grease it and then put it back in, they sell a tip for u-joints that pushes the nipple in and lets you grease with a little leaking out. I have one of those mini-grease guns, like for around the house or for a motorcycle or lawn tractor, it's about 1/3 or smaller than the size of a regular grease gun that is perfect to add the grimracer grease into. I got one of those probaoat guns too because a lot of the model boat nipples don't have the check-ball in the end and I would use it for rudders and non-drive shaft places. It has water proof grease but IMO doesn't seem as good as the blue grimracer stuff; they both wash away from the drive shaft after running in the water. I would think that some of that heavy long-fiber grease or even if you get too much grease in the stuffing tube could add friction until it clears out some so I wouldn't over do it. Some people swear by an oil drip with synthetic transmission fluid; I run small outboards so for that I think the grease makes more sense but on the gas outboards I would hook up an oiler; for the drive shaft that is... Just my 2 cents.. I can't tell if this is posting, got 500 external timeout error???
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
almaidah

thanks good to know
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

Something like this will work

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-oz-mi...gun-93486.html
Old 02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
MsDarla

I use this grease for my rc boats: http://www.greengrease.net/
Old 02-17-2012, 05:39 AM
phmaximus

hey just wondering is the purpose of the grease to stop the tube filling up with water?????

Was thinking to use a syringe, nitro fuel hose & 2 small zip ties... that should overcome the checkball... well i hope..
Old 02-17-2012, 07:12 AM
amrharrymac

That shoud work, there really isn't any pressure behind it like in a bushing or tie rod on a car. It looks like the link to harbor freight had a few good deals, actually the mini gun one is the one I have and the other one I paid like 15 from proboat was like 6 or 8 dollars; it already has a pointed end that will push in the little ball. I think I will get that green grease too when I run out of the blue stuff.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 AM
phmaximus

does look cool... but tight at the moment, I have to manny projects. 13 cars/buggys/truggys/mt, 4 tanks, 1 helicopter, & 2 boats...

This hobby is sending me broke, but i love it [8D]
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
jordan gutteridge

i use lithium grease it is water proof and can withstand high tempretures perfect for drive shafts.

hope this helps
regards jordan
Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM
*delete M i k e u p delete*

Andy Kunz uses Wahl clipper oil. I use furnace motor oil. Now in very cool temps., HT grease aplied to heavy is not good. Lithium grease is to lght.. The furnace oil doesn't run fast and flows about right. This is what i founnd out.Now if using a liner in stuffing tube, furnace oil seems to be the ticket. I sand my cable some, especially in bends.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 PM
sfwhiteside

I use Danco waterproof grease that is available in the plumbing section at Home Depot for $3.97 for a 3oz container. Works fabulous and is clear, so if you have a small grease port on your hardware, as you make high speed passes, it doesn't come out onto the hardware a dirty red, blue, or brown (that is if you ensure to clean the hardware on the inside first.) I am 99% dry on the inside of my ProBoat Impulse 31 even after submarining, and flipping. I've been using the same container for over a year and half way through after greasing after every run (a run equals four sets of batteries) at about 1.5 hours or continuous run time.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 AM
phmaximus

Ahhh dammm it, I'm using the traxxas villain drive shafts and I filled them up with grease..... They are mentto have oil... Damm it
Old 03-20-2012, 03:42 AM
phmaximus

what do u guys use to remove the grease??? petrol?? de-greaser?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
sfwhiteside

When it comes to de-greasing, I use Foaming Engine Brite with the straw, I use some narrow fuel tubing that I had laying around, and nudged a half inch section about one inch up the tube so that I don't get foam coming back at me, and I always spray from the inside of the boat outward to lessen the mess. I spray a little, let it work for a minute or two, then spray a little more, then repeat until clean. Then I spray some onto a pipe cleaner (I found some long ones at my local cigar shop). Afterward, I squirt a little alcohol down the shaft to help remove any residue, and assist in the drying, then I let sit overnight, then do the same to the shaft and make sure to clean all of the grooves of the windings. It takes some patience, but that's the name of the game right?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 AM
madmorgan

try using some good ole corn oil  it works and guess what it doesnt pollute the water. ps you may see a mph speed increase as there will be no restrictions on your drive.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:06 AM
sfwhiteside

In my prevoius post where I described the use of Danco waterproof clear grease, I was incorrect in the container size, I mentioned a 3oz. Size, and that should have been a .5oz container, which I havee been using for the better part of a year and some change.

In regard to MadMorgans post: Are you referring to shafts deigned to be used with liquid oil? Shafts, designed to be used with grease? Or, a general comment about all? For me, my Impulse 31 is designed for grease, but I allowed apassing thought of the use of corn oil, and keeping water from entering my hull (which admittedly, the Danco grease is a little thick, and adds a slightly noticable amount of drag, but it completely non-toxic as it's intended use is in potable water plumbing fixtures). I didn't start this post, but always up to learning something new.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 AM
phmaximus

Well ive learnt alot.... Just to clarify. im running the Traxxas villian Powetrain im a boat im building up. Just like the villian it runs twin motors, twin shafts & twin out drives. I made the mistake of filling up the shafts with grease.... oops

As u can see they use genuine oillite bushes at each end, great design IMO
oillite bushes are a very porous bush that holds oil. 15% of there weight it the oil alone. Grease is just to thick to get into the pours...

The drive shafts have there own nipple for oiling...

Well I cleaned out the old shafts with acetone and ive ordered some new oillite bushes to insure they are well oiled and i found avery old traxxas oiling kit... I was luck to find one on ebay... check this out

Old 03-23-2012, 06:52 AM
almaidah

well thanks guys also didnt think this thread was going to go this far but I like all the input thats been. phmaximus what boat are you putting the shafts into I may need to get specs one the shaft to try out myself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.