Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

Gruman Ag-Cat

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:29 PM
anothercrashpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gruman Ag-Cat

What size Sheeting will you be using , and what ounce on the glass ? .................. I Know I wanted something Stronger than just FILM , But wasn't sure to go with 1/16 Balsa and cover with glass or just do 1/8 balsa and Paint it ? I'm Still going over All the Options so I'll be Ready for the day I can get back to mine .............
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
anothercrashpilot

As far as the Cabane struts go , I did them like the plans show and used either 3/16 or 1/4 rod but am very uncomfortable with the MOUNTING ! .................. I will probably redo them and put 1/4 or 1/2" ply down in the side frames and use 1/4x1" flat aluminum stock , I made up another type out of scrape 1" x 1/8" aluminum in the style of Landing gear but would have to put some Ply Across the top frame to secure to .............. I'm OPEN for BETTER OPTIONS if anyone would like to coment !
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM
anothercrashpilot

I'm keeping these short since I'm Bad about Timing Out !
As far as the engine mount goes , I tied in a 3/8" Ply square at the Front end of the Fuse/frame, Made a 3/8" ply Box out to the end where the Engine mounts and put on a 1/4" ply disc to finish out the shape. I then made SWISS CHEESE out of the 3/8" ply with a hole saw ! .............. The one thing I should have done is make the END of the Box 1/2 or 1" ply instead of the 3/8 ...............................
Old 01-17-2012, 05:21 AM
RedTwilight

Crash - I had planned to just use 1/16 balsa to sheet the plane. Then apply .75 oz. glass cloth over that. That will give me a good surface to paint and simulate some of the individual panels. Then I plan to also use the aluminum HVAC tape and thin aluminum (soda can) to simulate other panels and hatches.
I'll lighten things up were I can, but I know I'll need the nose weight. So there might not be too much to lighten.

I need to take a look at the layout of the cabane struts and figure out a plan for those I guess. Maybe aluminum bar stock as you described with balsa to shape out. The hobby shop does sell some airfoil shaped aluminum tubes. Maybe some combination of all three design thoughts.

The motor box needs more pondering. So far I'm going to do the turbine version. That will allow me to move the engine forward. So I shouldn't need as much weight to balance the plane. I'm thinking of building it as per plans but add some reinforcement for engine standoffs. Then just build the turbine cowl from there. That way if I change my mind I might be able to go to the radial version.

Oh... I can't forget the hard points in the lower wings to mount spray bars to in the future!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 AM
RedTwilight

Just to let everyone know that may be interested.
Pat Tritle has just released a short kit for a 1/12 scale Ag Cat.
I've got one on the way as I type. Just something to cobble together and fly until I can get the big one finished.
http://www.patscustom-models.com/index.html
Old 01-17-2012, 10:20 PM
anothercrashpilot

ORIGINAL: RedTwilight

Oh... I can't forget the hard points in the lower wings to mount spray bars to in the future!
I'll try to Remember that TOO ! ............. Can't wait for your Sheeting Proccess.................
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 AM
RedTwilight

Crash - Didn't you want a side shot of the front of the turbine version? Here's the best I could get from the side. Hope that will help you out!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77785.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1720151  
Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM
anothercrashpilot

Yes, I was wanting to see if the front end kept the same Taper out to the prop as the Fuselage. This shot appears that it Does .
One thing else that Bugs me a bit is the Firewall on the Fitzgerald plan. .. . . . It is ROUND! ........... I Believe it should be a Bit OVAL and Flatter on the Bottom . ........... I thought I saw it that way on one of your Previous Pics of the Radial version , That was basically a Frame .
I've been Slowly TRYING to make room in my Little shed to organize and dig out my wood and kits so I can try to get something built already !
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
RedTwilight

ORIGINAL: anothercrashpilot

Yes, I was wanting to see if the front end kept the same Taper out to the prop as the Fuselage. This shot appears that it Does .
One thing else that Bugs me a bit is the Firewall on the Fitzgerald plan. .. . . . It is ROUND! ........... I Believe it should be a Bit OVAL and Flatter on the Bottom . ........... I thought I saw it that way on one of your Previous Pics of the Radial version , That was basically a Frame .
Do you mean shaped like this? LOL

Name:	Zx71782.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1721078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50529.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1721079  
Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
RedTwilight

Ok just measured the full scale. It is 74" from the front of the forward cabane to the face of the cowl.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:12 AM
anothercrashpilot

I believe this would be the shot but with the front panels on it to better see the Shape . Is This frame a Radial or Turbo ? ......If you look on the Fitzegerald plans were they show to mount the engine it shows a ROUND disc . That's the section i want to clarify as having a Different shape or not . . . . . . . I need to go back and check your Previous pics when I get time . Thanks .
B.T.W. how's your Progress on your Builds ?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:06 PM
RedTwilight

Those shots are of the turbine version when it was tore down for its service. The firewall you are seeing is the one at the forward cabane struts.
I'll try to get a similar shot of the radial version and one of the paneled turbo version from the same angle.

As far as my builds... I haven't done anything else to them yet. I've got a few other projects to get out of the way before I start on the large sections. Got a couple to finish for some flying buddies and a couple for me. Trying to get the fleet all ready for the start of the good flying season. Also I've started playing around with the airbrush some.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:35 AM
D.R.BOWERS

Dose anyone know what the hight is from the ground to the where the tail wheel strut attaches to the agcat? I have been looking at some pictures and it looks like some ride higher. Could it be a modd for agcats that have what looks like a spreader under them?

thanks.
Dale
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM
outacontrol41
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just brought my kit out from the closet and doing further research on which engine I should apply. My kit is the 89'' Duane Habet I bought a while back. Work and life in general has had me on the sidelines with this project. I'm again deciding on weather to use my O.S. FR5-300 radial or my Moki 150 gas radial. The OS is 53 cc and looks seriously undersized for this plane when held at the cowl while the Moki looks perfect but will weigh 1/3 of the plane @ 10 lbs......total estimated weight with the Moki is 30 -31 lbs. while with the OS it's estimated at 26 - 27 lbs. I know I'll probablt have to look thru all the previous posts because we did talk about all this. Does anyone have any input based on their own experiences with these or other engines as of lately? I need to decide this soon.[8D]
Old 11-10-2012, 07:48 AM
outacontrol41

Also, anyone know how these cowl mounting screws are attached to the firewall FROM THE INSIDE once the engine is in place? I know I will have to split the cowl in half but still there is no noom back there to fit your hand inside to apply the screws. [:-][:-]

Name:	Rp42624.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1819075  
Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
outacontrol41

hello.....?
[]
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM
anothercrashpilot

WOW ................. Haven't seriously turned on computer for Several months , But today I catch a post from my Favorite site !........................ Outacontrol, I don't remember seeing Pic's of these engines your size on comparable planes , But I will say that when I see the pic's of the 1/3 scale Stearmans without a cowl and they have 250 Moki on it that is "Visually" way undersized (scale) , It really does Not do Justice to the plane ! .........Especially with only 5 cylinders! I know big engines are Expensive ! ............ I like the 250 Evolution 7 cylinder ,And if I can ever get back to Mine I'd like it for the 12'er and the new 160 7 cylinder for the 10'er ............. I guess what I'm saying is if the Moki LOOKS better than the O.S. then maybe you should try it ........................... Or trade/sell them and get an Evolution
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM
outacontrol41

ACP...Good to hear from you! I don't know how you do it, stay off the computer for several months??? I live on the computer daily. I use email daily to communicate with friends and business clients and visit Facebook a few times a day as well. I've just not been on here because I have not been active in the RC hobby for a while. Doing other things, work, etc.
This particular plane needs a LOT of nose weight so I feel safe with installing the Moki. As it looks right now, I will end up with a 30 -34 lb. plane if I place everything (weight shift) just so, and I won't have to add one additional ounce of weight to make it balance. That's a good thing.
It's rather disappointing that of all the Duane Habets Agcat kits that were sold and supposedly built, I don't see any videos of them flying on Youtube. Only the original that Keith F. built....the first prototype is all I can find. Anyway, this will be my build project this winter and hope to get it flying by summer. I'll post pics along thw way.
ACP... what's your status??
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
anothercrashpilot

Hey , I turned this thing on Twice in one day !!!.................. Just bought the wife a Kindle HD and a router today ,so I will Try to be on again tommorrow , . All my family is in Texas and I tried Facebook for a while, But everytime I go there I start wandering and Easily consume a couple of hours ! Don't feel like I have any time to spare yet I get NOTHING done at home ! ! ! !..................... Still over whelmed ! .................... I'm still trying to get a Bit out of DEBT from when I first got on Here after Getting sick and trying to get back into the hobby . ............ At that time I was getting alot of Kits and Engines etc. plus things for the house etc and ran up quit a debt . Don't want to time out so I'll start again .
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM
anothercrashpilot

Anyhow, Besides not being able to get into my "work area" to Find my plane , I still have all the Hardie Board and Tile in my way from the bedroom floor job I talked about a couple years ago ! That's a project I NEED to get out of the Way ............... Believe it or not ,But I work on my Ag-Cat in my head Everyday !!!! Every day I read my RC magazines just to stay in touch and keep my dream alive ............... I just need to get rid of the Clutter in my life and return to something more enjoyable , Unfortunatly the stress at work just adds to my delima (not sure how That's spelt) But I'm HERE ! ! ! ! !............. And YES , Where is all the action ?????? Did EVERYONE else go on hold Too ?! The Economy is what hit ME first with my job and that's what made money scarce ! What happened to that other guy who started that 1/3 scale Ag Cat ???
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 AM
outacontrol41

I dunno what happened to everyone here...most guys who used to write are offline MOST of the time...............Anyway, hope I can drum up some interest again.

Here are a few more pics of the Moki in comparrison with the Agcat cowl........

Name:	Ax73221.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1819631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88377.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1819632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46798.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1819633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55858.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1819634  
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 AM
anothercrashpilot

My Goodness , , , , , The second and third pic look like an awfull Big chunck of Metal to have hanging off the end ! ! ......... The last shot looks alot better and ties things in , engine looks Alot smaller now ! But it Is Thick front to back !
Anyhow, if Your going to start building again on here I'll Definately make a point to check in more Often ! ! ! !..................................BTW, My day didn't go as planed again , This was supposed to be my day off and even my week off Call ,(every other week on call !) Buuuut, Sunday I had to cover for the guy on call as he had to work on a Previously scheduled job and today I had to go do a job that he can't do and that cost me about 5 hours in the middle of the day so I Didn't get anything acomplished around the house AGAIN ! ! ! !
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 AM
anothercrashpilot

Hey ,Outacontrol , Did you see "WR450" is selling his Ag cat in the "engines" classified section ! ! The Moki 250 is the add ,But it looks like he has the plane and smaller engine for $500.00. I believe it was the same kit as what you have ! ! seems pretty cheap to me and I Sure wish I could Part with the Money ! ! ! ! Sounds like a real Deal and I could Finally have Me a CAT ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 AM
outacontrol41

I saw it.... A 250 cc radial is waaaay to big for anything I would need to power. It's cheap enough, though ....priced to sell quick. I wouldn't mind having his agcat but he has not listed that for sale.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Culver10

Is there a web site for this DH Ag Cat? Or how do I get one?

Phil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.