Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Bates 25% enlarged F6F

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Bates 25% enlarged F6F

Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bates 25% enlarged F6F

I thougth I'd take a small break from the 190 and get a start on the 120" F6F Hellcat. Retracts are by Sierra. I start cutting out parts for the tail in the next few day. Nice to get back to some construction as I HATE finishing work!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37338.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1729840   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45567.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1729841  
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM
tony67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bates 25% enlarged F6F

Hi Would like to know where you got your cowl from.
Thank's
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM
wingspar

I got it from this guy...

[email protected]

Dave N
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM
stephanmk1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hello wingspar!

Nice hellcat project!...I just want to know!! how many emails or phone calls you did to sierra !?....I'm asking you this because they never answer emails .I talked to sierra 2 months ago...still waiting for my new gears to come in....anyway I will wacht your thread with great interest!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM
wingspar

Sierra can be frustrating at time. I usually don't do E-mails to him. I've had better luck on the phone but sometimes it takes several weeks for Darrel to pick it up. And yes it can take some time for things to show up. Sometimes months later then promised. Custom gear like this is not part of their main business so I suspect he works on it when time permits.

Here's what I do. He usually needs orders for five or more sets of these types of custome gear. When talking to Darrell I find out what here working on and the large F6F gear were in the works. So I put myself on the list a year ago. They arrived a couple of months ago and are outstanding. A few weeks ago I ordered out some of his 1/4" al hinges and while talking to him found out some 1/4 scale F4F retracts are in the works. Got myself on that list too. I'm sure they won't arrive for close to a year.

In the past I've had to many problems with failed gear from other manufactues of large retracts. There just is not anybody else out there that makes large scale gear with the STRENGTH and reliabilty that Seirra offers. Without them, projects such as this would not be possible.

I know communications with Sierra can sometimes be frustarating but the end results are more then worth it.

Keep calling

Dave
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
stephanmk1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thanks Dave !...glad! I'm not the only one who feels that way...

I know sierra gears are excellent...the best in other words...I already have a set for my Don Smith FW-190 A-8 ....I will call sierra again...

best reguards/stephan.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: wingspar

I thougth I'd take a small break from the 190 and get a start on the 120'' F6F Hellcat. Retracts are by Sierra. I start cutting out parts for the tail in the next few day. Nice to get back to some construction as I HATE finishing work!

I'm with you Dave. I have one A/C half painted and doing glassing/filler work on another. I hate painting more than anything. So, I am going to take a break and start cutting parts for my 120 inch Typhoon.

And I have to agree with Dave's post: "In the past I've had to many problems with failed gear from other manufactues of large retracts. There just is not anybody else out there that makes large scale gear with the STRENGTH and reliabilty that Seirra offers. Without them, projects such as this would not be possible."

I, myself, try to give Darrell about 1 year notice..........he has always come thru.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 AM
wingspar

Well I hope you will do a build on your Typhoon Jeff. It's a great looking plane.

Dave N
Old 02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
wingspar

Having trouble getting an updated post on this....again.... so I've deceided I'm going to contined this on RCscalebuilder/ Gerry Bates.
Sorry[:@]

Dave N
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
flyingchef
My Feedback: (93)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to see more on this project!
About Sierra, I have been using his gears for most of my planes and like most I would prefer to receive them quickly but I feel appreciative that our hobby has individual such as Darrell who dedicate time to produce retractable gears here in the US. I reward Darrell with my business and will be more than happy to wait for my order which, and like others, order about 12 months ahead before starting my project!
Bruno